LegacyGT.com

Ok guys... Who got spiked?

UHP spikes tires of wrong car

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7675523 :eek: (video and pictures of his car inside)

One of our own?

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah Highway Patrol spiked the tires on the wrong car traveling down Parley's Canyon.

Early Sunday morning Austin Trivett was headed from Summit County to Salt Lake in his dark blue Subaru. "I was coming down I-80 westbound by the Quarry Exit," he explained.

He didn't know that the Utah Highway Patrol was hot on the trail of a black BMW.The driver of that car was wanted for running a red light and speeding. Around a curve, UHP mistook Trivett's car for the BMW.

"They said because of the blue headlights they saw, they threw the spikes out at me," Trivett explained.

UHP Trooper Cameron Roden said, "When you're in a canyon road, you have twists and turns and not always can you see them a long way prior to getting the spikes on the roadway."

Trivett says it felt like hitting a speed bump. "Everything was mushy, so I went on the side of the road and there they were, flat as pancakes," he said of his car's tires.

Trivett got out, put his hands up, and troopers realized their mistake. He says they were apologetic. "They felt bad," he said. Trivett went without a car for several days. He got it back Tuesday afternoon but says it's been a bit of a headache arranging to get the tires replaced. They were brand new. UHP will pay for the new tires and the towing expense. It admits spiking the wrong car happens, but not often.

"We regret he was put in that situation. Our apologies go out to him for the hassle he had to go through," Roden said.

Troopers never caught the driver of the BMW.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Django/omghi2u/unamusedrun.gif

They spiked a car for speeding and running a red light? Do cops in Utah have nothing to do? WTF?

Exactly. When I drove thru Utah I saw crazy numbers of people pulled over. A nazi state, beats New Jersey, where the road side racket is well above the norm.

They spiked a car for speeding and running a red light? Do cops in Utah have nothing to do? WTF?

They really don't. I regularly see 3-4 cop cars on the scene of a minor traffic infraction. The cops here are completely ridiculous.

They really don't. I regularly see 3-4 cop cars on the scene of a minor traffic infraction. The cops here are completely ridiculous.

That happens everywhere. When the cops think they have an excuse to search a car, they call backup. And the drug sniffing dog which the US Supreme Court says isn't a search. :iam:

The whole "Its a twisty canyon" is bullshit thats a goddamn highway and you can see a car coming for miles. Also last time I checked a BMW 5 Serires and a Legacy look nothing alike besides both being sedans. What dumb shits the UHP are. Also dont highway patrol know (after pulling over more then just BMWs) that many cars come with HIDS I mean my focus did for christ sake. Id be super mega fn pissed.

I think the spike thing is stupid for a mere traffic violator (assuming the BMW wasn't endangering anyone), but it seems the cops did the right thing after the fact. Give them credit for that. They manned up!

manning up would be loaning him a cop car with woop woop ability while his was getting tires:)

The whole "Its a twisty canyon" is bullshit thats a goddamn highway and you can see a car coming for miles. Also last time I checked a BMW 5 Serires and a Legacy look nothing alike besides both being sedans. What dumb shits the UHP are. Also dont highway patrol know (after pulling over more then just BMWs) that many cars come with HIDS I mean my focus did for christ sake. Id be super mega fn pissed.

Actually, knowing that canyon very well, I COULD see how it would happen, but basing the decision on "a dark car" and "headlights" alone does seem a bit reckless.

And the cops in Utah still don't seem as bad as the cops in Wyoming. 500,000 people and 5 million sheep ... poor sheep. :(

Actually, knowing that canyon very well, I COULD see how it would happen, but basing the decision on "a dark car" and "headlights" alone does seem a bit reckless.

And the cops in Utah still don't seem as bad as the cops in Wyoming. 500,000 people and 5 million sheep ... poor sheep. :(

Actually, those odds aren't quite that bad, I'd feel worse for the sheep if they were reversed.(the odds that is, not the sheep..that's in a different thread on here somewhere)

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

yea.. if you jay walk they cut out an eye apparently. :lol:

and to think I almost applied for a job in that crazy state.. in "american fork."

right across the pond from american butterknife and american soup spoon.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived