LegacyGT.com

Sway Bar thickness and performance advantages

Spoolin06XT

Hello everyone! Need some input from the suspension gurus. I am in the process of changing my suspension on my 06 OBXT. The rear suspension bushings were all broken except for the rear knuckle bushings. I have replaced the rear arms with Whiteline suspension kit. This improved my handling tremendously and now I am looking to do the sway bars. I see generally most go with the Whiteline sways.

There are other sways on the market that are thicker than the Whiteline for the rear but is there any advantages/disadvantages? Will having thicker rear sways cause issues in the future? I would get the sway brackets to add some additional strength, but would that be enough? Would the Whiteline be ok for daily and spirited driving? What thickness Whiteline if so? Should I go with a thicker rear bar than what Whiteline offers? The car still has OEM struts, but I will be swapping to BC coils at some point. Any suggestion on a good setup for daily driving?? Thanks in advance for any recommendations. :)

Yes, skimmed thru it really. Was looking for more how thickness effects the handling. I will do more research on it. I saw that but I will be using the legacy coils for a bit more ride height adjustability....thanks.

whiteline sways are good. there's a stickied thread about swaybars in this section. did you read it?

lowering your outback might help the spirited driving part.

pdxammo has a set of outback bc coilovers.

There are other options but Whiteline is a proven performer so might as well stick with that. Can’t say there are any real drawbacks with adding a rear sway. Def want to put in beefier mounts a la AVO or others. You’ll need to keep your bushings Lubed more to prevent squeaking but that’s about it. I’d just go with the Whiteline and start on the softest setting and then go from there if you want more oversteer

I have a 05 legacy gt wagon and recently my rear bushings started to squeak. I replaced the front control arm bushings like 13000 miles ago. What bushings should I replace to get rid of the squeek?

Also my car sways significantly when I hit a decent pothole. Is that a sway bar bushing problem?

The sway bars and worn or broken bushings contribute to the squeak. I replaced my rear arms with whiteline and the squeak stop for a couple of days and then started up again. It seems its coming from the rear struts now. :rolleyes:

I would check all your bushings in the rear to see what is broken and start from there.

I have a 05 legacy gt wagon and recently my rear bushings started to squeak. I replaced the front control arm bushings like 13000 miles ago. What bushings should I replace to get rid of the squeek?

Also my car sways significantly when I hit a decent pothole. Is that a sway bar bushing problem?

• Like 1