LegacyGT.com

A/C Broken

Sivs

Well, seeing as spring is already here, I decided to turn on my AC a week ago, and it will blow nothing but hot air. The car had been running for over 15 minutes, and I continued to drive it around for another 20 minutes to see if it needed to just get used to being used again. That didn't work though. I had been religously turning the AC on during the winter months to keep it fresh, if that is even still necessary.

Anyway, the car is now in at the Dealership being looked at. I do have the Cobb AP stage 1 on the car currently, this wouldn't affect something like the AC would it?

I'm hoping the dealer covers all the repairs that may be necessary under warranty. I'll give an update once I get a call back later today.

Well, I tried posting an update on this earlier, but apparently it didn't go through. The problem was caused by a rock or something of the sort cracking one of the coolant lines on the condenser for the A/C located infront of the radiator. And because this was a road hazard it will not be covered under warranty and will cost about 650$ for parts and labor. Does this sound like a fair price or should I look into contacting a private business for this sort of repair?

wow that sucks.

first, AP will not affect a/c functions and therefore is not at fault for anything.

second, that price seems high but what coolant line is it and where does it go? if it is easy to get to and does not appear to require some major re-working to get it fixed, you can probably shop around locally and find a better price

A "crack"? I'd argue that it WASN'T a rock. Look at where it's broken, man. Perhaps you can see another way that the line may have cracked. Like the line rubbed or hit something on the car. If the crack is at a fittting maybe the fitting was faulty. I'd imagine all the refrigerant has leaked out. I'm surprised you didn't see and smell the oil from that leaking.

Replace the line, charge with nitrogen, evacuate, recharge, labor, yeah that might be close to 650. Try anything to save 650 bones, bro...good luck.

Insurance would cover it, but it's almost not worth it to make a claim. My deductable is 500$ :(. It is not on a hose or tubing, it is on the middle of the condensor right infront of the radiator. Nothing on the car is near where the crack/puncture is. It looks like just a really unlucky rock hit or something of the sort, which is why I probably didnt notice any leaking because it had all leaked out before I got to my location. Usually it just hits the condensor and bends a fin or two down, but this hit directly on one of the areas the freon(sp) runs through.

Archived