LegacyGT.com

Door Lock Actuator Replacement

I decided to document the procedure for replacing the door lock actuator on mt 2005 LGT, specifically the front drivers side. I was having trouble finding detailed information and spent an extra hour figuring out how to do it.

This job isnt a super technical one but be very careful with the window especially if you have tinted windows. Id say set aside 2 hours for the job if youve never taken apart your door.

Pictures loaded to a dropbox folder located here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/et04r7gnltu6fw2/AADKBk7wM3JUqlZyXNAwtjzBa?dl=0

I pulled the dead photobucket links and replaced them with the relevant picture numbers to be found in the link.

Tools

Phillips Screwdriver

Flat Head Screwdriver

10mm Socket

12mm Socket

3in extension

Socket wrench

10mm open/box end wrench

Optional

Plastic interior pry tools

Impact Driver

The only part i replaced was the drivers lock actuator which was doorman part # 759-044

To remove the door card first pull the interior door handle back and use the flat headed screwdriver to pop out the plastic cover behind it. I found the best place to pry from is shown in the picture.

20170401_173849

20170401_175251

Then remove the cover off of the door pull. I found the best way is to just pull with your hands. Note that you should pull it out from the top first as there is a tab on the bottom that goes down into the door.

20170401_175233

20170401_173912

After these are off remove the three screws holding the door card on. Two are in the pull and the third is behind the door handle

20170401_173942

20170401_173947

20170401_173903

The last part is the triangle shaped cover behind the door mirrow and can be poped out as it is being held in by three clips

20170401_174038

Carefully pop the door panel snaps out one at a time. Id recommend using plastic pry tools to get the first few started. Also start from the bottom and the top of the card is hooked over the door frame and has to be lifted over. Once the card is loose you will have to remove the lock and handle cables.

To remove the cables pry open the tab that covers the end of them at the door card. There is no need to mark which is which as the lock cable is physically smaller so the handle one wont work in the lock location.

20170401_160222

Finally there are two electrical plugs attached to the card. Disconnect them both and the it should be completely off. Next peal back the plastic sheet covering the door. Note that you should not tear it, as the sticky adhesive will still work after you are done.

20170401_161310

Once it is out of the way reconnect the window switches the plug. You will need to be able to roll your window up and down. There is a large plastic plug near the bottom of the door that needs to be removed. Then roll the window down till you can see the two nuts holding the window onto the regulator. Once you set the height of the window so you can access both you can unplug the switches again.

20170401_155726

20170401_155723

Before unbolting the window first remove the two stops that keep it from coming out off the door. Start by removing the smaller rubber plug in the upper left of the door. (First picture) And but pulling away the rubber door seal at the top. There is a small plastic clip that holds it in.

20170401_155747

20170401_155537

IMPORTANT before removing lower stop. Take a picture of its location and how its positioned. This determines how high the window goes. If set wrong it will no go all the way up. The lower stop is in the middle of the three bolts exposed by removing the plug and the top one is just behind the rubber seal in the last picture

Now remove the two nuts holding the window in place and VERY carefully remove it. There are alot of things to get stuck on and both ends will still be in the rails. Take your time with this step and it should come out easily.

Okay the last bit keeping you from getting to the actuator is the window rail on the left side. Again this has adjustable mounts so note the location of the bolts or you will have issues later on. There are three nuts holding it on. Two behind where the upper plug was and one on the bottom. Sorry about the lack of pictures in the last few sections i forgot and these steps are fairly straight forward.

Now to actually remove the door lock mechanism. This is the white plastic part that sits behind the latch on the door. Start by detaching the two metal rods that go to the outside handle. They have plastic clips that you rotate then the should pull right out.

20170401_154903

The upper one is a pain to get to but i have huge hands and still managed ok.

20170401_154910

Next undo the three screws that surround the latch itself on the backside of the door. Be carefull not to strip them as they are on pretty tight. I used a L shaped screw driver to get more leverage. Alternatively you can use and impact driver to keep them from stripping

20170401_185539

After that you should just have an electrical plug holding the mechanism in.

At first it all appears to be one huge piece but there is a cover that slides off of two tabs. Be carefull, the rod that goes to the door handle will fall out after the cover is off so note how it goes back in.

20170401_154531

Top tab

20170401_154542

bottom tab

20170401_154538

Now you can see how to remove the actuator. It is the white part under my thumb. There is only one screw holding it and it should slide off.

Alright just reverse the steps to get it back together. Making sure to set the rail and window stops back as they were. Or you will end up like me spending an extra half hour trying to get them perfect again. Also make sure that both ends of the window go back into the slides. I found out its pretty easy to get the window in only one of them.

This seems like alot of work for such a small piece but besides removing the window theres nothing really difficult to do. The window has to be removed because the lock mechanism wraps around the rail and cant come out while its still in.

I hope this helps. I included alot of information I wish I had known before starting, since this seems to be a common issue.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi.

You have probably noticed photobucket has pulled a bit of a dodgy move. Putting hosted photos behind a pay wall as a result I can't see the photos you kindly posted.

Would you be able to maybe zip the photos up and share them from a dropbox or something? Id really appreciate them. Like you said there is no real detailed information on doing the removal for this particular car and this post is a real gift.

Archived