LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Isn't this the main purpose of assembly lube?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

To a degree yes. However assembly lube will eventually ooze it's way out and sit in the pan. Main priority is to ensure oil is everywhere before the first start. Last thing anyone wants is to spin a bearing because everything is dry and tight..

Scotty

I love (hate) that there's so many thoughts on engine break in. I get max capacitys thought process there since I can't imagine many imports get plugs pulled and multiple cranks to build oil pressure when they come off the boat. I'm sure a lot of it is more important when building big stuff, but a stock build is probably not as particular.

As far as assembly lube, well I think it's been a month since I got the engine back and ranged from something like 70-10 degrees outside, so I'm not trusting to that at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember there is a bearing gap, there will be some lube in there. You get oil pressure quicker at 800rpm then you do at cranking rpm.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have a semi-local interested in buying the wagon :spin:

Don't sell the wagon!!

In other news. I added some creature comforts to the old wagon. While MTB in the winter (night riding) I find I could use more light under the hatch...so I wired in a light to the cargo light so it turns on with the door opening only.

Also swapped out for the later model tail lights...I am indifferent on whether I like the clear or amber more.

Also added cargo net hooks for added storage / convenience

IMG_9474.thumb.jpg.72a3d845d230fb5264e98e69d57fb300.jpg

IMG_9476.thumb.jpg.bd0b1cec44849f4e5342fc560481d3f1.jpg

IMG_9458.thumb.jpg.3b587eef2956c59feb089342fa88d3c9.jpg

IMG_9465.thumb.jpg.325ac237c09d53db20705a307a626ac1.jpg

Edited by jaylew

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I've been having problems with my hath light not turning on. Do you know where the trigger for it is? I don't want to just start pulling panels and tracing wires since my whole cargo area is already super rattle-y. Dod you splice into wires under the headliner?

Does the cargo light still turn on if you switch it to always on? And yeah I connected the new light that I installed on the hatch door, to power and the ground that is switched by the door opening (light blue and black). All at the harness in the headliner by the cargo light

Steering Rack Rebuild

Slight PITA changing gear oil the first time on a specB 6mt, but didn't know when the fluid was last done and had some ExtraS sitting around.

The rear diff was easy, but I filled up what seemed like 1.25-1.5 liters of fluid. Rear end up on ramps, but still seemed like a lot compared to what I read was full.

The front end was pretty crappy. Dipstick was frozen in the trans tube, took 30 minutes freeing that, and then I didn't want to round off the one drain plug and only drained the T70 plug. And then I over filled the trans by at least a liter.

Edited by BoozeRS05

Does the cargo light still turn on if you switch it to always on? And yeah I connected the new light that I installed on the hatch door, to power and the ground that is switched by the door opening (light blue and black). All at the harness in the headliner by the cargo light

It used to. But it didn't turn on when the door was opened. Now it doesn't turn on when I switch it to always on, so I suspect the wires are getting old and brittle. I was hoping to not have to drop the headliner, but it looks like I'll have to do that. Thanks!

It used to. But it didn't turn on when the door was opened. Now it doesn't turn on when I switch it to always on' date=' so I suspect the wires are getting old and brittle. I was hoping to not have to drop the headliner, but it looks like I'll have to do that. Thanks![/quote']

Getting to that part of the headliner is actually super easy. And I'd check the fuse running to that light, or the light bulb itself. There could be something wrong with the switch. Shouldn't be difficult to figure out

Steering Rack Rebuild

I love (hate) that there's so many thoughts on engine break in. I get max capacitys thought process there since I can't imagine many imports get plugs pulled and multiple cranks to build oil pressure when they come off the boat. I'm sure a lot of it is more important when building big stuff, but a stock build is probably not as particular.

As far as assembly lube, well I think it's been a month since I got the engine back and ranged from something like 70-10 degrees outside, so I'm not trusting to that at all.

My point exactly. I don't want to assume that the assembly lube used during engine build is still in place, and that it'll be enough to maintain bearing clearances during first start. I'd rather spin the motor using the starter, with no compression in the cylinders, until I register oil pressure at the pump discharge.

Well I don't have an oil pressure gauge. And I don't have any money left haha. And I don't have a built motor. Like there is a good chance I didn't even need the ARP head studs if the block doesn't start pulling apart until around 18+ psi like I've read.

So I think there is a lot of variability. It's a shame the oil pressure light in the car registers so low as to be useless. And if I understand the diagram, it's one of the first places to get oil.

Could you do something like, prime the crank and cams through the pcv and breather system? Just spit balling, I just know they go to that area, I think.

Oh I missed this one! Yea that's gonna happen. Rally sport is local shop if I can't find the fitting, I can at least get an adapter. I'm hoping I can start it up tomorrow. Starting to get anxious.

Amazing thanks so much for posting this! I was trying to figure out how I could add oil and pressurize it through everything before inital startup on the new engine.

Depot is on my way home from the office, so I'll be stopping by!

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Just a thought, could you also build oil pressure using the flood clear start? Start car with foot to the floor WOT, it will crank and build oil pressure but not start...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've used this method after a turbo install and again after my car sat for 8 months for winter work. Just trickle charge the battery before hand and then crank for like 20 seconds.

Turkeylord, that is also a solid plan for a brand new engine. Is that just through the oil pressure sensor port?

Steering Rack Rebuild

Once I had the oil in the engine, I turned the engine slowly by hand. Attached my 1/2 wheel torque wrench from HF to crank pulley and gave the engine 8-10 complete turns going very slow. You can feel when oil hits the internals, it gets a lot easier to turn.

When car sits for few days I do flood method and crank it twice for 4-5 seconds each time.

Edited by SubOperator

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Oil change, winter wheel install and repaired my recently failed downpipe to midpipe flange gasket today. Really odd how that gasket failed. I drove the car, it sat for two days, get in and have a huge exhaust leak. I almost want to blame someone Fu&+$#g with my car.....the flanges are in nice shape, as are the studs in the dp. Weird. Anywho, replaced with a Felpro jobber, new nuts and lock washers. Had to use the AP3 to clear the codes and turn off CEL amongst the others that popped up. All better now.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Turkeylord, that is also a solid plan for a brand new engine. Is that just through the oil pressure sensor port?

Yep, exactly.

I got my dip stick tube o-rings replaced (PITA) and got the undertray replaced. Now I’m just waiting for a door lock actuator to come in and it’s all set for the new owner.

Up Pipe has a crack init. I paid the money for the Cobb catless up pipe 4 years ago hoping to avoid things like this.

Still trying to diagnose smoke after idle and at WOT. Has anyone experienced valve seals being the cause?

The turbo is a rebuilt JMP with 60k on it. It is not making any noise and reaches boost fine. We are replacing the PCV to be safe, but it was replaced about 60k ago too.

If it is something deeper in the engine, like valve seals, it seems like the money spent in labor for that would justify just going big and do the whole short block?