LegacyGT.com

Exhaust/Muffler replacement

Looking for some help. My muffler is going on my 2010 legacy and was thinking of replacing it. I bought a new muffler at napa and found that my intermediate pipes flange to the muffler is pretty bad. Napa sells an Intermediate pipe that does not include the Resonator Assembly. Is this connection just a slip connection? If I went to Subaru, they would sell me one pipe that replaces the resonator and intermediate pipe in all one shot.

Pictures would be helpful if anyone has a pic of the bottom of the car. I have a 2.5i with only one muffler.

Exhaust Intermediate Pipe

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/EXT55645

There's no slip connection on the oem pipes. That piece should have a donut gasket on the front end, and a two bolt on the rear end.

Here's a diagram of the oem exhaust: https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2010_Legacy-Sedan-25L-CVT-4WD/_54102_6024403/EXHAUST-MUFFLER-10MY-10MY/B14-440-01.html

That napa part looks like it would require welding in. If so, you might as well just ask a reputable exhaust shop to weld on a new flange, it might be the same cost.

Subaru fitting for the intermediate pipe with the resonator is a donut gasket from the engine side. The exhaust shown in the NAPA link likely would need cut the OEM exhaust and slide over. If your looking to save money and DIY, I would buy the Walker rear pipe and the resonator (along with the proper gasket) from Rock Auto. It's a pretty good chance the NAPA parts are just relabel walker parts since they share the same part number. The Walker part won't last as long as OEM, but the they should last a good 5 years and they are much cheaper than OEM.

That makes sense now. I'm thinking I'll just pick up the resonator and the rear pipe. Napa says they can have both at my local store in a few hours. I'm pretty sure they are walker as well. Much cheaper than the OEM parts...

Archived