LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Anyone ever replace synchros? My 3rd gear grinds all the time, and I've replace fluid and clutch since it started and still have the issue.

Would I need any specialty tools, how do-able is the job once I drop the tranny?

I had an unhappy synchro on my WRX trans. Andrewtech in MD put their trans fluid cocktail in it and that got it acting normal again. Might be worth a try before surgery. Not sure what the cocktail contained, but it looked like blue laundry detergent.

I just got back from a Takeover meet at a big parking lot by a couple strip malls.

There were a lot of WRX's and STi's. There were two Foresters Lowered and looking good.

There was one 4th gen Legacy GT there (debaged) and it looked pretty good., nobody around by it to talk to. There was a stock Legacy in the parking lot and I parked over by the visiting Subaru parking area away from the show.

Lots of other crazy stuff there, a bunch of slammed and loud cars there. There was a cool old sleeper Volvo and some crazy jacked up trucks.

It was a cool show. I wonder if they are going racing some where around here overnight? There were a couple of big trucks with trailers and race cars on them.

It's a good rare summer night for racing around here too. It is nice out, cool and dry. Haha, my car was pulling good tonight.:)

I am not going to be driving for 4-6 weeks. I went to do an oil change on Saturday and while waiting for the oil to drain I thought that I would get some exercise and went for bicycle ride. A few miles down the rode, I got hit by a car pretty good. I went to the ER, broken my pelvis, scapular, got a few stitches and road rash. I don’t look too bad, but it is really painful to use move my legs or walk. No surgeries needed, just need to heal. It could have been a lot worse.

:eek:

Glad you're OK. I was hit a few times in the last couple years when I was in college. It's just so easy for a driver to make a little mistake and ruin your day even when you're doing everything right and being defensive... :spin:

Good lord man, glad you're alive. Hope your road to recovery is speedy.

My Dad just got back from the police station to get the accident report, and he spoke to the eyewitness and the police officer. It twas little humbling to hear their prospectives. The eyewitness was worried they had just someone die after seeing me go airborne and bouncing around and the police officer said they started to initiate a med-flight after their initial inspection of the accident scene. I guess that I am pretty lucky today.

Anyone ever replace synchros? My 3rd gear grinds all the time, and I've replace fluid and clutch since it started and still have the issue.

Would I need any specialty tools, how do-able is the job once I drop the tranny?

I had an unhappy synchro on my WRX trans. Andrewtech in MD put their trans fluid cocktail in it and that got it acting normal again. Might be worth a try before surgery. Not sure what the cocktail contained, but it looked like blue laundry detergent.

Late reply but I need some insight. So last year I replaced my fluid entirely with Motul Gear 300 and the issue has only gotten progressively worse still. Do I attempt to fix my transmission myself or replace it with a used one (60k) ~ $1200. I'm afraid I'll just keep spending money on oil for no reason. I have been getting away with just double clutching for a while now but I'd like to get it properly fixed. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

My transmission has 150k+ miles on it.

Edit: I've decided to try 3qt redline lw shockproof + 1qt motul cocktail first. I'll report back if it makes any difference.

Edited by MGT

Anybody have experience with car covers? Wondering if there's anything subie-specific that is a better fit than a universal one. Probably only going to use it once or twice so I might end up with whatever is cheapest.

Depends on if you need in-door or outdoor use. Look accordingly.

OE one is the best bang for buck and good fit (especially the folding mirrors and shark fin antenna)

California car cover is likely best quality, but overkill for your use.

Ive been using a car cover for mine since day one since it was typically weekend-use only.

...so my wife and I picked took delivery of our Ascent this morning.

uVYAIeBraKB-EZpNNKlEDY-Sps6JDLqexsbGjHhO2q72cGiKTDQmAlL3-g8Jk0VLCvLbtEnpsRoVjrW05jil9nrirVNcLf-k35ivrmvhYUO4z7U-NwYBrvxEzb0cTUmZxZ4zfqM3rCtk1wK0ZUcqsthWgWOnYuGwTfBV4LoLoBZoag9k9QpAi4q8bd2d1uJgVuidLaUW6NYrSyFZ6gWxmWIev-b9BAVj3kLl7ARwJgl2Sm5vo7Bj6wAaESztzaVtzR4JXbSBg6rqPKzN-fKwtmXvXTtY5D5quRyn9zNQuUNYFE4saRqVEILkZJt68692fdeb6n0LH5ULC0CG5Z-vx4kIDZj6ei2zW2a2d9eXIKSzvbzwtssAZc04bLkNClM767OmRVdotmXAtmZ2XOG8SKAR7SwT7XPYXhR5_kcX4qRUuqhVGZHgGlJmc2mrBkCyhY2cBHUF9ULo4St3-_4kEXNAHn-xSIl0lo2w1B7iaAK70CjMkJ62u-tnFwKBNGlWnreI2UcznlQT0fp5zVCF8Qw2WsXxTPbP6XpUTW5cpp-slTq3kc0wO1iDj8pcQHiTxHbqRbHsEd4ZIYBJIocLbDsD0XZiauCtx8wLr7yfM520Bhi2E8cRBbi3QU5VOYEcRmYq3RXgPQVsr2DZcx7-8LPBxW6v6HPTKA=w1040-h585-no

The dyno show that thing at 221/263 on a mustang...on 25% loss thats 295/350 at the crank...wayyy above the stock numbers, and it certainly feels closer to the dyno that the rated numbers.

I loved the car, enjoy it!

Signed up for my first actual track day. :) Date is September 8th, planning to get my trans bushing and diff inserts completed beforehand this time, and want to get my brake pads changed out. Thinking of going with Stoptech Sport pads, I'm so sick of my HPS 5.0 squeal and dust, despite them having plenty of meat left on them. Price for a set of the pads isn't terrible from what I can see.

ran into some trouble with my garage/tuner... been depressed. buuut I'm over it,

and now I continue.

Can i run the 2010 stage 2 map, with the dp, until i get a base map from a tuner? if its still avalible. (will keep out of boost and i have a 2012)

who are some tuners you guys recommend? i've looked up cryo and bren so far.