LegacyGT.com

12V outlet/cigarette lighter not working

Hey guys. I've recently run into an issue that has me puzzled. The 12V outlet/cigarette lighter thing in the small cubby under the center console has stopped working. I've checked the fuse under the steering wheel and it's still perfectly fine. I even checked that my 12V charging dongle works in the armrest outlet to make sure the device isn't the thing that is not functioning. Anyone know if there is a way to pull the thing out and check if the wiring isn't the issue or any other ideas?

Yes, I checked both fuses by pulling them out with the tool that is provided in the engine compartment. The fuses were labelled 12V Socket and CIGAR. I verified the fuse location via https://fuse-box.info/subaru/subaru-legacy-2015-2018-fuses#2017 and checked the diagram on the pull-out cover under the steering wheel area.

Check the ACC fuse if you haven’t yet.

I'd suggest checking:

Rearview Mirror/Remote control mirror switch (FB-32)

Front accessory power supply socket (FB-34)

They, along with Rear accessory power supply socket (FB-33), are all powered by "Accessory Relay 2". If all three of those are inoperative, the relay could be the culprit.

This relay is directly above Fuse "No. 3"in the fuse box below left of the steering wheel.

The cigarette lighter/12v has a fusible link. Its located just behind the socket. Its basically a piece of wire that acts like a fuse. If you run something that draws a lot of amps, or short circuit the plug, its quite possible that it will blow the link before or at the same time as the standard fusebox fuse. Pull ot the socket and check continuity of the wire...

This happened in my 05 wagon. I doubt Subaru has changed the format on the Gen6 :)

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having a similar problem with my 2016.

My front power outlet the one located at bottom of dashboard, works intermittently. The arm rest outlet works just fine.  What's weird is the front outlet will work and then randomly stop working but if you remove 12v plug and plug it back in it will start working again.  This happens with all of the plugs I've tried and all of them work perfectly in other cars and in armrest 12v.  It's bizarre.

I've checked the fuses for 12v and cigar and they all look good and I tried swapping in the extra fuses subaru included in.  Still no luck.  It's just weird because it'll work perfectly find for 2mins-30mins then stop working 100% and then as soon as you unplug/replug it works again?

Thanks for any help

6 minutes ago, waldguy said:

Could be a case of a faulty connection, some surface corrosion perhaps? 

Also, sometimes the little prongs need to be bent back out again as well to create a tighter connection.

It happens with multiple 12volt plugs and some of them are brand new anker ones with solid bars of spring loaded medal (not the cheap flat metal prongs) so I don't think that's the problem.  

The surface seems to be shiny and uncorrected.  I have a 12v air pump that is super picky about plugs being perfect and it works fine (doesn't work in other cars with rusty outlets, or anything that isn't perfectly round).  

It just stops working randomly.  It's almost like maybe the voltage is going to high or low and causing adapters to cut off and replugging them resets them?

I'd like to take a look at the back to make sure the connections are tight, but the instructions in the stolen/ online service manual are a little unclear about how much work it actually is to get back there.  

8 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Simple 12v and ground circuit.  waldguy has a good idea about checking for corrosion, connections, loose fuse etc.  Check for 12v and check continuity to ground at the outlet. 

Would continuity change when it goes out? or is it a binary works/is grounded or  doesn't work/isn't grounded.  Because it works perfect until it doesn't and then resets immediately. 

• 3 weeks later...

so after testing it with more plugs I think the problem is the spring loaded tip doesn't always point straight to hit the positive terminal which is also a small point.  It seems almost like the socket is too tight so the plugs shift side to side at an angle.  I wonder if maybe the socket has become slightly oval instead of perfectly round?  Has anyone replaced the socket? does anyone know how much of the dash I have to disassemble to replace it?

Normally the issue you are experiencing  is with the male part not the female counterpart.  Have you tried another 12v accessory that uses a different male plug?

Otherwise, vacation pix are your friend. 

3 hours ago, m sprank said:

Normally the issue you are experiencing  is with the male part not the female counterpart.  Have you tried another 12v accessory that uses a different male plug?

Otherwise, vacation pix are your friend. 

Yea it's definitely the female socket.  I've tried a bunch of different plugs that all work prefect in other cars and in the armrest center console 12v.  It works if you wiggle the plug around and push it in and hold it just so. But otherwise the plugs kind of pop out or slightly angle themselves.  

Vacation pixels is definitely my friend but they are a little unclear on what the minimum amount of parts you have to remove to access it for replacement.  I found someone posted a link to accessory socket that replaces  it with cigarette lighter part number instead of standard 12v power outlet part #.  Those instructions use a bunch of symbols that I guess are indicating a whole bunch of tabs and trim hooks that you have to pop off and remove...those are such a pain since I never manage to do it without breaking at least 1 and ending up having to hunt down some exotic part# of a piece of plastic lol.

It doesn't seem worth it to disassemble half the dash to replace it...when it still technically works.