LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

I do have combustion gasses in my coolant. Haven't compression/leak down yet.

50k miles on engine, 185k on chassis. From what I understand oem shortblock replacement happened but with questionable work. Before I got the car the engine was pulled by subaru dealer after burning a valve on cylinder 4. That happened with about 20k on the motor. Valve cover started leaking right after head work and was fixed under warranty by subaru. So more questionable work. I guess some part of me is wanting to just go crazy and get an iag stage 2 or closed deck short block and an fp green. Of course then I would need a 6 speed. The 6 speed was next in the plans anyways.

Bummer and welcome to the motor replacement crew. My stock unit puked around 165K if I remember right. Yep there were some burnt valves. Pick your poison on the short block and find a good shop to setup your heads for the next round. Finding the right shop was a challenge for me but finally won. Been running now for about 6 years.

Bummer and welcome to the motor replacement crew. My stock unit puked around 165K if I remember right. Yep there were some burnt valves. Pick your poison on the short block and find a good shop to setup your heads for the next round. Finding the right shop was a challenge for me but finally won. Been running now for about 6 years.

Fortunately I have other vehicles to drive, so not in a hurry besides just wanting to drive it. Looks like cylinder 2 is the culprit. FSM says you can do head gaskets without pulling motor. That sounds like a horrible idea. I am leaning towards just a set of firelock head gaskets and arp head bolts for now. Ill have the heads gone through while out and probably go ahead and do a clutch as well. Oil analysis was fine. Nothing major showing. Almost the same as when I got the car. A tiny bit of boron and potassium indicating coolant.

Once I get through this 21 day on work schedule I'll probably get started. At least that's the plan for now.

Fortunately I have other vehicles to drive, so not in a hurry besides just wanting to drive it. Looks like cylinder 2 is the culprit. FSM says you can do head gaskets without pulling motor. That sounds like a horrible idea. I am leaning towards just a set of firelock head gaskets and arp head bolts for now. Ill have the heads gone through while out and probably go ahead and do a clutch as well. Oil analysis was fine. Nothing major showing. Almost the same as when I got the car. A tiny bit of boron and potassium indicating coolant.

Once I get through this 21 day on work schedule I'll probably get started. At least that's the plan for now.

Deck those heads... what I should have done. Probably could have gotten a few more miles out of the original SB. But Noooooo.

Edited by kzr750r1

A few weeks ago i attempted to change my canin air filter. Gave up after trying for 15 minutes...

Need to look up the "how to" to get the right method in my head before my next attempt.

This looks like a pretty good “how to”: https://hwshim.wordpress.com/2009/06/16/how-to-replace-subaru-outback-2008-cabin-ac-filter/

• 2 weeks later...
Ej255 forged rods, pistons, closed deck.

23psi is target boost...this was probably 3800-4k. Who know. Maybe less...

Full throttle, fifth gear...sti trans

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

What kind of turbo? Do you recall the actual load value when it happened?

Was it due to knocking you think? Which piston is this? #4? :rolleyes:

I suspect that there's a post or 2 about this but my searches did not reveal much. Is there an individual or biz that does this?

What are you exactly looking for?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Smog time. Put the stock intercooler back on today. Heli-coil pulled out of the AVO IC when removing it. FreakinA.

Tomorrow dropping the car off at AQ for nearly 100% back to stock. Smog after the readiness bit flip, then probably have a detailer do the best they can on it, and list it for sale.

I listed some parts from it locally on FB Marketplace. Not much action on those, so I'll probably have to consider shipping.

Yeah, that's the plan. I think. We have four cars right now. I waffle between selling our old Integra and the outback. Which one brings me joy, versus which one is more practical (makes more sense). Obviously the Integra doesn't make much sense, but when it's running good and looking good, it definitely brings me joy. Now will I get the OB sold before my mood swings back to practical?

AQ called yday though and said the stock turbo was a bit too sketchy to go back on. So the ported VF52 is going back on. I can still smog with that setup at least, but I'll have to sort out the turbo situation before I can list it.

Now will I get the OB sold before my mood swings back to practical?

:lol:

Last week, I decided to detail our leather seats in the 05 (beige type). I really wish I took before/after pictures. They were FILTHY (never really detailed them in 12 years of ownership -- just quick wiping). You can thank our (not so) little ones for that (age ranging from 4 to 7).

The seats look much nicer now but there are some cracks unfortunately :(.

Yeah, that's the plan. I think. We have four cars right now. I waffle between selling our old Integra and the outback. Which one brings me joy, versus which one is more practical (makes more sense). Obviously the Integra doesn't make much sense, but when it's running good and looking good, it definitely brings me joy. Now will I get the OB sold before my mood swings back to practical?

AQ called yday though and said the stock turbo was a bit too sketchy to go back on. So the ported VF52 is going back on. I can still smog with that setup at least, but I'll have to sort out the turbo situation before I can list it.

My Outback has been basically sitting for 6 months now (driven occasionally). In the same boat of I don't need it, but also not motivated to sell it. I should probably see if I can find someone else who enjoy it.

Nothing wrong with it - I just don't drive it anymore.