LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

A manager at my work has a trailblazer ss, its not very impressive. Did they come in 4wd or just rwd? I couldn't recall, but I know the Jeep srt8 does, my friend has one and is in love with the 392/awd combination.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

eh, i'd take a saturn sky redline or pontiac solstice gxp first. and the dirty things i'd do for a solstice gxp coupe...aside from spending $20k anyways... edit...$40k. jeez those things went up Edited by creep_nu

crossfire is pretty cool. like a Mercedes with a stick and Chrysler badges

Ya that's what I found out. I had no idea. Just knew a v6 with a manual in that small of a car may be fun. Not the best of looks out there, owell. Guess the srt version is supercharged

Kind of on topic. I respect the LGT community's opinion so....I am truck shopping to replace my beloved 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins turbo diesel. It's a quad cab (small rear seat and doors) short bed. We have simply outgrown it with 3 teens and an 8 yr old. Camping is our thing now, especially now with the pandemic reducing any real travel so I need to tow the 32' travel trailer. I am not brand loyal but after looking at what is out there I think I will stick with Mopar. I like what I can get for the money, especially getting supplier discounts through work. I found a 2020 Ram 2500 Power Wagon with the thirsty 6.4L and 8 spd auto that had a few more bells and whistles than I need but everything comes in packages nowadays. This truck came off the rail car yesterday so while it is a '20, it just arrived. You get this if you want that with their packages and this truck is loaded (heated and cooled leather front and rear, heated steering wheel, etc.) so you can imagine it's not cheap. I laid out my budget and promised myself to stick to it. I don't need this truck but I want it if that makes sense. Long story short...the salesman was nice and we didn't haggle much but they lost a deal over $522 (the cost of step bars that this truck needs, no matter how tall you are and I'm challenged!). Supplier pricing is 1% below invoice plus incentives which were another $1750. We were so close however when he said they couldn't do any more than was on the paper I said thank you for your time, helped myself to a business card and walked.

I am ready for my first new vehicle (for me...always been new for the spouse), something quiet and some creature comforts. Sorry this is long winded. I am a little bummed it didn't work out, especially after driving an hour to see it and drive it.

What would you do? Am I being a dork for the $522 that the step bars would cost? Stand my ground and risk someone paying what they want, which is likely?

I am at least giving it a few days. One daughter said she will give me the money and the other is happy the Cummins is still our truck! 169566d4a635ef77843f4806902ec47b.jpgiris.thumb.jpg.d1bb77358cd3f0564b40ac8b332b8a1e.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Well for one your existing truck should last you a good chunk of time. My step father has an 01 like yours, just shy of 400k and you'd never know.

Personally you're literally looking a brand new truck that's what easily over 40grand and you're pinching pennies over 500$ which in terms of your monthly payment what...maybe 3-5$ more per month on your payments over the next 4+years?. Sounds pretty to me and you shot yourself in the foot.

I'm in sales, not of this magnitude, however the one thing that drives nuts is when a customer comes in and tells you exactly what they need. You give them everything laid out and everyone is saying yes along the way, and suddenly it's not enough? And they walk over a few dollars...it's infuriating when reps go the extra mile and are respectful of your time and then you turn and burn em not respecting their process and willingness to help as their time isn't as valuable as yours?

Not to be harsh but man be realistic here

It's be different if you're shopping a rig under 15grand, when 500-3000$ makes a difference if you're just paying cash price.

If you didn't want to cough up the $500, that tells me you probably didn't want the truck from the start. Maybe you should look online at more trucks that are specced close to the one you mentioned, and then go back to the dealer and mention the other deals you found from Ram dealers.

What would you do? Am I being a dork for the $522 that the step bars would cost? Stand my ground and risk someone paying what they want, which is likely?

I am at least giving it a few days. One daughter said she will give me the money and the other is happy the Cummins is still our truck!

I would hold out, I would not be surprised if they call you back. $522 probably only cost them $350 as well. I have been looking at Jeep Wrangler for my girlfriend and many dealers in my area will do 1% below invoice, but there are other high volume dealer out of state that will do 5% and some 7-8% with some caveats (finance with their lender at higher rate and high documentation fees) I can't imagine a RAM is much different. I think FCA is also like Subaru where the holdback is 2% below invoice and there is another 2% beyond that + plus dealer sales incentives.

I have worked in dealerships and have friends and family in the business so yeah I know how it goes.

I did mention the steps in the very first correspondence with this gentleman after viewing the window sticker online and browsing enough to know they were an option on the PW. We are talking a $60k truck that I am paying cash for and yes....it is only $500. I am sort of their worst customer with the supplier price and not financing but again he also that before I decided to take the ride. I will continue the venture and I appreciate your views on the matter.

For what it's worth....the LGT will remain in the stable for a while. It serves its purpose and I enjoy driving it. The 2002 Cummins has 227k and aside from not being a full crew with interior room....it will be tough to let it go. I get so many compliments on that truck.

Edited by whitexc

Why are you buying from a dealer? There's really no reason to, unless you're in one of those states that requires it, and you just have to pay for a salesman when they're not adding any value for you.

I bought my 2020 Crosstrek from CLS cars. They gave me an OTD price for exactly what I asked for, lead time to expect, and when it came time to pick it up, the guy handed me the keys and printed out the paperwork. Picking up the car took 15 minutes, and ordering it took three emails. I would buy from someone like them. http://www.clscars.com/ They can order any car, except exotics.

The fact is I regularly buy chillers and other equipment for $100k or more from the likes of Carrier and Trane, and I can do that via email and by signing a paper. There's no reason why you should have to physically go to a place and haggle over a piddly $50k car, especially if you know exactly what you want. Salesman make sense if you need them to help you figure out what to buy, but if you know exactly what you want, what is the salesman for? Just order it.

Personally, given your seating requirements, you may want to look at the 3rd Gen Dodge 5.9L CTDs with QuadCab or the MegaCab

We have an 03 2500 HD QC LB SRW RWD andwe can easily travel with 5 FSAs and a teenager/smaller in ours. It's not Megacab sized, but has more than big enough rear doors and internal room. You can't get the MCab with the 8' bed and we need the 8' bed as we 5th wheel as well as frame tow from the rear Class IV hitch, but you're used to a 6' bed so an MCab would be ideal. Ours is an HD SLT with the HO 5.9CTD and is rated at 12K tow. Between the 48RE and locking 3.73 rear diff we get 27 around town and 23mpg while towing, even the mountain west. That's easily 800 miles on a tank before we need to refill.

For what a new one costs you could buy a 3rd Gen with the 5.9CTD AT, and 5 for 6 speed MT, and rebuild the entire drivetrain if you needed to, for less than half as much as new. You also won't have to deal with the DPFs, exhaust fluids and the 6.7CTD if you stay in the 03-06 range. Lots of good ones out there.

What ever you do stay away from the Italian-built V6 3.0L Eco-Diesel that they put in the 1500s. Those things light up the forums regularly with problems.

I buy my truck to be a truck that I can ruck around with. Basic amenities PS, PB, CC, PW, PDL, P&HTMs, and HVAC, and I'm good. If need be, I can drop a new HU in to make phone connectivity easier. The 3rd Gen has an amazing ride for a 6,800 lb truck and tows amazingly well for a SRW. Ride is made even better with the addition of Bilstein B6 4600 series shocks.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Not surprised since it's basically a Fiat engine...

Close. Maserati designed it initially for Cadillac, but when Cadillac went bankrupt, those plans were aborted. But VM Motori which is half owned by Fiat, or as I, a former Fiat owner call it, "Fix it Again Tony", builds them for Fiat Chrysler America.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Close. Maserati designed it initially for Cadillac, but when Cadillac went bankrupt, those plans were aborted. But VM Motori which is half owned by Fiat, or as I, a former Fiat owner call it, "Fix it Again Tony", builds them for Fiat Chrysler America.

Wowza :eek:

Between the 48RE and locking 3.73 rear diff we get 27 around town and 23mpg while towing, even the mountain west. That's easily 800 miles on a tank before we need to refill.

For what a new one costs you could buy a 3rd Gen with the 5.9CTD AT, and 5 for 6 speed MT, and rebuild the entire drivetrain if you needed to, for less than half as much as new. You also won't have to deal with the DPFs, exhaust fluids and the 6.7CTD if you stay in the 03-06 range. Lots of good ones out there.

If need be, I can drop a new HU in to make phone connectivity easier. The 3rd Gen has an amazing ride for a 6,800 lb truck and tows amazingly well for a SRW. Ride is made even better with the addition of Bilstein B6 4600 series shocks.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Thanks SBT. Well written.

My 2002 has had the works done in mild fashion :fully built 47RE, Air Dog lift pump, Blue Chip injector pump, 40hp injectors, Juice w/ attitude, Red Head steering gear w/ brace, Bilstein 5100's, front end rebuilt more than once now with all Moog parts, Blue tooth HU with Mic.....and the list goes on.

The 2nd and 3rd gens are great trucks and while mine rides like a stage coach merely due to age it drives great. I can let go of the wheel and that truck tracks perfect. I am just ready for new, for quiet, for SOME tech. I am not in a place to be wrenching like I used to time wise or shop wise. We want to hook to the trailer on our long weekends and hit the road.

Again I appreciate all the info and will continue looking. I am headed to drive a few super duties today. Seating configuration is an issue there too while getting a nice, not so work truck interior. Most nice Ford's come with buckets and a console. Cheers and go Bills!!!!

I still don't understand how you were ready to buy a truck 60grand cash and let the deal go over a measily 500bucks. Sounds pretty petty and not like you really wanted it.

I have a hard time paying over 20g. Way I see it you can put another 20g in to something and make it how you want. Still come out at 40g.

Good luck on the truck hunt, I'd tell you if you're willing to travel get something from Texas and drive it home. Lots a rigs there to find some better deals if you're bpinching pennies.

I still don't understand how you were ready to buy a truck 60grand cash and let the deal go over a measily 500bucks. Sounds pretty petty and not like you really wanted it.

I have a hard time paying over 20g. Way I see it you can put another 20g in to something and make it how you want. Still come out at 40g.

Good luck on the truck hunt, I'd tell you if you're willing to travel get something from Texas and drive it home. Lots a rigs there to find some better deals if you're bpinching pennies.

Budgeting. I had a number when I started this process and I will stick to it. You are partially right (and not the fact that I am pinching pennies...cuz it certainly isn't that) in that I knew the truck wasn't 100% what I NEED so I decided to stick to my plan and budget. That said I like the PW and the fact that it isn't vanilla like every other Ram, Super Duty, Sierra, etc. driving ng down the road. I like my vehicles to be a bit different. It also has some nice features and a very nice interior.

I may end up leaving some money working at the bank and take advantage of 0% financing on some of the cost.

Drove a Tremor yesterday with the 7.3L/10 spd. That's a pretty nice rig and a stout combo, although quite thirsty. They would have to dealer trade out of state for the needed split bench.

Edited by whitexc

Drove a Tremor yesterday with the 7.3L/10 spd. That's a pretty nice rig and a stout combo, although quite thirsty.

The 10 speeds have been reported to have a lot of issues by the owners of them...

Edited by Alexmed2002

I own one of those 10spd with no issues outside of needing a reflash due to a strange “learned” 3-4 shift. It has not had a problem since.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

The 2022 BRZ is looking pretty promising

Yeah, the car needed some more oomph. Though I'm surprised they weren't able to get more out of it, with 20% more displacement. Was hoping for 20% more HP! I think they got close with torque, which is a good start. The "torque dip" aka the space between the two efficiency peaks (2400-3400 and 4500-6500) has been minimized, but only because the peaks have been lowered, IMO. Still a good improvement in power, while only gaining a few lbs in vehicle weight.

I'm on the fence about on the styling, however...

LW's spec. B / YT / IG