LegacyGT.com

Things to do while replacing turbo/preventing another failure

Hello all,

last week my turbo started making the dreaded shreiking/screaming sound. it was the day after an oil change and came out of nowhere, once i noticed the sound the car wasnt driven more than a 1/4 mile before it was parked until now. for reference the car is a stage 2, 06 LGT 5EAT, with a 136k miles on it

i have a 4k mile vf52 to put on and replace the vf40 with. ive been doing a lot of reading but i want to have a specific list of things to do/check while im doing surgery on the car to prevent another blow turbo/blown motor. From my best understanding the biggest concern is bearing contamination of the oil system. in order to prevent future failure it is best to fully clean/inspect parts of the oil system. this includes:

• clean/inspect banjo bolts
  • clean/inspect oil pan
  • inspect drained oil for metal bits or metallic shine (oil was changed a day before failure and didnt show any signs of metal)

i know there are bits that im missing, what else needs checking? The car did not throw any CELs or feel down on power the day before failure or when it started to make the sound. i did notice my idle was a bit rough leading up to this.

that leads me to think maybe the OCVs were starting to fail, however i have no CEL or proof to confirm that. is there any way to check the healthiness of an OCV? are there any other parts that could have failed that should be inspected?

my hope is that i caught the failure quick enough that no contamination happened, but i also want to find the cause of death for the first turbo so it doesn't kill this new one.

any input on what else should be checked /cleaned and any other input on preventing future failure is much appreciated.

turbo is pulled and the cold side is full of oil. picked up a magnetic drain plug and went to drop the oil pan to clean it but cant get it off due to the subframe. notices there are small particles in the oil, so i dont really know where to go from here

You do know I bolt the turbo to the up pipe.

It easier to line up the new oil return hose, inlet and up pipe at the same time.

Leave the turbo loose on the up pipe until the tmic is in place and tightened on the TB hose and Turbo outlet

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Noticed there are small particles in the oil, so i dont really know where to go from here

Blackstone to confirm that it's metal bits. Unless it's really obvious. Then click Max Capacity engine and refresh thread and decide if you have / want / will spend the $4k to rebuild your current engine.

Sorry, that sucks.

You do know I bolt the turbo to the up pipe.

It easier to line up the new oil return hose, inlet and up pipe at the same time.

Leave the turbo loose on the up pipe until the tmic is in place and tightened on the TB hose and Turbo outlet

Bolting down onto the uppipe was so much easier when I did mine; I am eternally thankful for this advice!

Archived