LegacyGT.com

5w30 or 5w-40?

Hi All,

I am after some advice on whether to use 5w-30 or 5w-40 on my JDM Legacy BP5 twinscroll. I am not sure what engine oil to use, 5w30 or 5w-40.

The Japanese service book recommends 5w30 but that is if you are using the car in Japan as it snows quite a bit out there and may be colder than in England (this is where the car is driven now).

I don't feel like using 5w30 as I used it before (namely Castrol FST 5w-30) on a Legacy BH5 and I felt it didn't suit the car.

Would 5w40 be a better choice?

Anyone out there used Castrol Edge TITANIUM 5w40? Any advice?

Thank you.

Ferdaous

why would you feel that 5w30 didnt suit the car? both the US and Japan recommend using 5w30. Most people here use 5w40, so it really is a matter of opinion. I use Motul 8100 5w30, and I have used that in every subaru I own and have never had an issue. So basically use what you want, as long as its synthetic and not Mobil 1 you should be fine

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I use 5w-40 year round in both my Legacy's. The 40 is much better when the engine is warm and running. It doesn't break down to a 20 like a lot of the 5w-30's do.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

why would you feel that 5w30 didnt suit the car? both the US and Japan recommend using 5w30. Most people here use 5w40, so it really is a matter of opinion. I use Motul 8100 5w30, and I have used that in every subaru I own and have never had an issue. So basically use what you want, as long as its synthetic and not Mobil 1 you should be fine

Because I've had good experience with it.

Soo

Ive used t6 for awhile now

But was just told that they switched formulas?

About 6 months ago? Anybody confirm this?

Ive switched to the new natural gas pennzoil platinum ultra

Ive seen LESS consumption/burnoff so far than the t6

Could this be contribited to the newer t6 formula?

Gas to liquid base oil is supposed to have low noack volatility, which can mean reduced oil consumption. Noack volatility is basically the evaporation rate of the oil. More information in the links below. Chances are the reduced consumption is from using the low noack pennzoil platinum ultra, and not a formula change with the t6, that's just my guess though.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Testdescriptions/Noack.html

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/533/base-oil-trends

http://gasprocessingnews.com/features/201410/gtl-innovation-produces-clean-base-oils-from-natural-gas.aspx

Archived