LegacyGT.com

Just bought 93 legacy wagon L AWD Help

I just purchased a 1993 legacy Wagon L AWD in good condition

88k, 1 owner. Im big fan of keeping car maint. up. Does anyone have suggestions/check lists on what to keep an eye on for these 2.2l , own a forester as well with a 2.5 which im too familiar with. Heres the car. Gets a new stock complete stainless exhaust next week including header.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gvODOCw

Ahh shit wrong section. apologies.

Edited by ericmu22

that looks like an EPIC clean Gen1 wagon. I have spent a lot of my adult life in a 93 or 94 wagon. I got rid of my last one about 4-5 years ago and regret it. I had two cars both go over 200k with no major engine problems, albeit one trans that I beat on hard, and another went south around 200k.

These are super simple cars and don't take a lot of maintenance. Air filter. Belts. Watch your CV axle boots. Clean the throttle body butterfly valve every now and then.

Spark plugs go south in the 25k range almost like clockwork. Maybe 30k. You'll notice some rougher running or worse MPG. Super easy to change out, NGK V-power is what I remember. I could do all 4 of them in 30 mins.

The T-belt is very easy to change, and the EJ22 is a non-interference engine so if it skips a tooth or the belt snaps, you won't bang valves on pistons and such. A T-belt kit with water pump and tensioner is pretty cheap. Has yours ever had the t-belt changed? Those old cars were a 60k interval.

In the hot south, the air vents on the dash will stick, and you go to adjust them and the individual vanes break. A little WD40 or silicone spray smells bad for a while, but works wonders.

The door/window seals can go bad, and the sail panels can be fixed to get rid of wind noise.

I had some very minor stuff go bad, like a knock sensor once, one ignition switch. PCV valves and fuel filter very easy to change. Normal stuff like struts, brakes. I got lucky with wheel bearings, only changed a few when doing other maintenance but they weren't busted.

I put Single DIN stereo heads in all of mine, and then you can find a larger storage cubby to go underneath it - looks very nice/stock and you can add USB/aux/bluetooth quickly with just a head swap.

Congrats - sweet car. If you wanna sell it by all means let me know!!!

EDIT: you will find a ton of people with just these 90-94 Legacies on this forum, great way to find parts too. https://bbs.legacycentral.org/

Edited by jp233

Ill post pics of the exhaust afterwards...... Back Brakes, tires and wheels ( from a later legacy) are all new. I am replacing the calipers and pads AND guard on the front before I drive it down to Texas. I have the money and it needs it. Im replacing the idle sensor and gasket as well..... Idles a little low. I have a private Subaru Tech Checking my belts. Sounds weird but i ordered a roof cargo box with the proper attachments as well. Edited by ericmu22