LegacyGT.com

Injector circuit malfunction

New here and relatively new to Subaru. I have a 1996 outback that won't start. It is giving codes p0202 and p0203 which are trouble codes for fuel injectors # 2&3. I have swapped the injectors around and the codes don't move so Im thinking the issue is a short in wiring or possibly ecm. Before I tear anymore of my hair out I wanted to reach out to see if anyone else has had this issue or may know of a common trouble area to check.

Thanks in advance! 90e6ab0b5d3051d93467d48223cb40c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I believe those are codes for a circuit malfunction. Could be a short or an open or an injector so burned out that it is internally open or shorted. I would check the connectors at the injectors, and the three big connectors where the engine and trans join on the right side. A corroded connection or a loose one. e.g. the three big connectors often get their latch broken when the clutch gets changed out and then they can come loose.

I would pull them, inspect, shoot them with contact cleaner and then reseat.

As for electrical testing, the four injectors will have one wire with a common color that delivers battery volts all the time in run. The ECU then applies a switched ground through the other wires that are different color at each injector to shoot some gas. With a suitable Digital Multi Meter you could back probe for correct power at each, and for a changing signal on the other wires. If you had an oscilloscope you could look at the exact signal shape there. You can also get a little light from harbor freight or car parts store with a selection of connectors. You connect it to the injector connectors one at a time and try to start the engine and look for the blinking.