LegacyGT.com

Cost of Living in Englewood

2furious

Hi.. Guys. Thank you for your precious input about the Denver area for my previous post.

I got an offer from the company and I will be working at Englewood.

If you go to http://www.moving.com/Find_A_Place/Calculators/SalaryCalc/

You can compare the cost of living in Major cities in the US. I'm in Tucson, AZ and my $50k is almost $100k in Englewood, CO. I seems unrealistic but the website is very popular for the comparison. I'd like to ask you guys the cost of living in that area is really that high? If then, what's the biggest factor? Price of House? Energy Bill? or what?

I like the area and my wife already found several nice houses around town and I'm negotiating the offer... For future reference I'd like to have the real input from you guys living in Denver metro area.

Thanks.

Jay.

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

I can't comment on the difference in the cost of living from anywhere to Colorado, but we moved here in 1990 and won't live anywhere else.

Housing prices here are stupid, esp in the county where I live. Douglas county was the fastest growing county in the US for a few yrs consistently, and that drove housing prices into the stratosphere.

Fuel & food costs seem on par with other places I travel to for work.

With that said, the lifestyle here is great. Quite the focus on a healthy lifestyle, as well as outdoor activity. If you are into staying fit, this is the place to be. :)

Good luck.

The Reason you are seeing high housing costs for Englewood is because that’s where 90% of the metros wealthy live. There are countless million dollar homes and gated communities concentrated in that area. That’s not to say, however, that you can’t find something at a good price in a decent neighborhood and school district. Just may take a little more effort and shopping around. If cost really scares you, stay away from Cherry Hills.

Good luck!

Jay:

Englewood is a big area and the following are my inputs on the Denver area vs. Phoenix area:

Housing: You can choice between new and old contruction but there is limited new in that area. Prices range between low 100's to multi million dollar homes.

Energy bills: The opposite of Tucson. Higher in the winter for heat and lower in the summer with not much AC use needed.

Food: About the same in price but no Fry's, Bashas, or Trader Joes. We have Safeway(same as you), Albertsons, and King Soopers. Biggest bummer with this is no hard liquor is sold at groceries stores here and you can't buy liquor on Sundays so you have to plan ahead.

Gasoline: Is cheaper for the most part. About a ten cent savings over Phoenix prices. We have 85, 87, and 91 octane. Don't use 85 in any car you like, it's zhit gas! We do have a refinery, so we're a bit better than you having to import all your oel from California.

Car Insurance: Much cheaper! Trust me.

Taxes: Are about the same depending on your income.

Hope this helps.

Parker (46 years of experience in Colorado)

PS: Why in Gods name do you want to move from Tucson to the Denver area? Do you like the cold that much? Make sure your new job makes it worth the move.

I think housing price is the major cost of living in Englewood. If you can't find the house you like for the right price in Englewood I would suggest that you look further south. Try cities like Parker, Centennial, Lone Tree or Castle Rock. Prices are a lot more reasonable there.

^^^ +1

Also check out Highlands Ranch. Centennial is w/in a 15 minute commute of the above listed neighborhoods. Other than housing, there arent really any other significant factors that would contribute to the higher cost of living. Plus, our housing market is a huge buyers market right now. #1 in the country for forclosures, so if you plan to stick around for more than 5 years to ride out the bursting bubble, you should be able to buy low and see some equity soon enough. You'll probably be able to buy a home with equity already built in if you are open minded about your home and you find the right realitor.

I Love Colorado. I've tried to live elswhere, and keep coming back! No place like Home!! Yeah it snows, but we have more sunny days every year than almost anyone!

Good luck with your decision! Hopefully we'll see you here soon at for an LGT cruize through the Rockies (another plus of living here!)

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Thank you for all the information...

I'm working at the University and tried to move on more stable job in the industry. That's why I consider moving.. and quite frankly, I like outdoor activity and the surroundings of metro Denver area. I would specify the offer if I could but it's not a good idea to disclose that kind of information.

I will be working at I-25 and Dry Creek Rd. and looking for a house 2000+ sq ft with good school district... That is my bottom line... and of course, I want to see you guys in the Rockies.

More infos will be appreciated...

I will be working at I-25 and Dry Creek Rd. and looking for a house 2000+ sq ft with good school district... That is my bottom line... and of course, I want to see you guys in the Rockies.

Definitely look into the cities I listed. I live in Castle Rock and it's pretty much the southern most city in the Metro Denver area and it only takes me ~20 min to get to I-25 and Dry Creek. Off the top of my head I would say 2000+ sq ft house in a decent neighborhood will run you ~$300k-$350k.

• 5 months later...

Jay:

Glad to hear your coming to look for a house here. We will be going to Phoenix at the end of the month looking for a house again and visiting Tucson to see how far it will be for E85.

If your interested we might be interested in selling a nice two story with around 1400 sq feet including a full basement (unfinished at about 800 more square feet). 3 bdrm, 2 bths, 2 car garage. Nice private deck too! Parker at E-470 and Jordan Rd.

Parker

PS: Our house is 10 mins away from I-25 and Dry Creek (Inverness) on a good day and 15 mins in the snow.

ParkerGTL, what's the MLS # of your for sale house, I may be interested?

Jay, There are so many different neighborhoods, and new & old developments around, the choices and price ranges are excessively diverse. Colorado has been #1 and #2 in foreclosures over the last year too, so that offers a lot of leverage if you find the right realitor who can work that niche.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Yeah,,, if you can post of pm your MLS number, I will certainly look for your house.

Jay:

Glad to hear your coming to look for a house here. We will be going to Phoenix at the end of the month looking for a house again and visiting Tucson to see how far it will be for E85.

If your interested we might be interested in selling a nice two story with around 1400 sq feet including a full basement (unfinished at about 800 more square feet). 3 bdrm, 2 bths, 2 car garage. Nice private deck too! Parker at E-470 and Jordan Rd.

Parker

PS: Our house is 10 mins away from I-25 and Dry Creek (Inverness) on a good day and 15 mins in the snow.

Jay, There are so many different neighborhoods, and new & old developments around, the choices and price ranges are excessively diverse. Colorado has been #1 and #2 in foreclosures over the last year too, so that offers a lot of leverage if you find the right realitor who can work that niche.

+1

Within 5 miles of my house you can find homes from $250k to $1.2MIL or better. Englewood is even more diverse, with older neighborhoods, and some rare new builds. I grew up here and have seen it all, seen it all change, too.

If you haven't found a Realtor yet, I can recommend someone, if you would like.

Rob

Sent you a PM also, but my friends are selling their house in Castle Rock. The MLS number is 521209 and it's a NICE house. 3 car garage, hardwood floors on most of the 1st level. Big basement, and professional landscaping in the backyard. They told me to let you know that if you contact their realtor directly, they'd knock off $5k off the price.

Thank you guys, I just came back... I love the area, englewood, centennial, highland ranch.. But I haven't got to Parker and Castle Rock....

I will move to Denver next week anyway regardless of the house situation... I will stay temporary housing that company provides...

I was happy to see many Subies around the town... I drove Charger(Damm again..) and I hate it... Only good thing is big rear space for kids for a week. They made a car with 50 miles on a hell of a mess...

Archived