LegacyGT.com

Watched a Subie die today

Was bringing daughter home from a sleepover when we came upon a flatbed truck with a Grand Cherokee on the bed and an old Impreza wagon on the hook and on its rear wheels. She asked me why the Subie's front wheels were spinning and I told her that the Subie should be on the bed, the Grand Cherokee on the hook, and that Bad Things were about to happen. Not more than a mile down the road I started smelling burning tranny and about a quarter mile after that there was a complete smoke show, squealing (locked) tires, and a fresh puddle on the road. Hope he wasn't planning on selling that Subie for anything other than suspension & body parts. The center diff is surely shot and with the front diff integrated into the tranny, my guess is that the entire driveline is toast.

Idiot probably thought he was towing a FWD car.

Idiot, bet he's reaction was "Wtf happened?"

When I drove around him and the smoking remains of a Subaru drivetrain, he did have a perplexed (and "this is coming out of my paycheck") look on his face. The scary part is that if he was heading to the destination address on the door of his truck, he had 75+ miles ahead of him.

Put the Impreza on the bed and put the GC's transfer case in neutral. Would have been easy.

Archived