LegacyGT.com

Natural Gas LGT--The Followup you've all been waiting for!

Its been a while since I've been on the site, but I figured I should do a followup on the Natural gas system and how the Legacy has handled it the past 70,000 miles. It has been a freakin dream I tell ya. I converted the car at 89,000 miles almost 4 years ago, and now I have a little over 160,000 on it. I thought for sure that I would be replacing the turbo at some point...nope...zero shaft play and still boosts like a champ. The motor is great, other than a slow as snail valve cover oil leak of coarse. I recently purchased my new CNG project, a 1996 Crew cab Powerstroke Diesel that I will be converting as soon as funds allow me to purchase all the parts I will need. Which unfortunately means the one and only (besides one in Poland now) CNG LGT is up for sale. If any of you have any questions about how the car performed with natural gas over these last few years, speak now or forever hold your keys.

How much power does it make on CNG?

Power is a little less on CNG than on gasoline, but not noticeable unless you are on the throttle pretty good. When I wanted to have power to pass or race or whatever I would just push the button and it would switch instantly. Ive towed small camp trailers, 1000 lbs of motorcycles, and jet skis for hundreds of miles at a time with no issue on natural gas. I would usually just switch it over to gasoline when towing up a long grade to keep the EGTs down.

Power is a little less on CNG than on gasoline, but not noticeable unless you are on the throttle pretty good. When I wanted to have power to pass or race or whatever I would just push the button and it would switch instantly. Ive towed small camp trailers, 1000 lbs of motorcycles, and jet skis for hundreds of miles at a time with no issue on natural gas. I would usually just switch it over to gasoline when towing up a long grade to keep the EGTs down.

That is a nice setup that you are still able to use gasoline at the push of a button.

• 2 months later...

Neat. There was a guy from France posting here recently that had an LPG conversion on his Legacy.

I didn't realize it was so easy to switch back and forth from LPG to gasoline. Or CNG, as the case may be.

• 1 year later...

CNG conversions are common in almost every part of the world, except US and likely Middle Eastern countries like Saudi Arabia.

As a kid I recall seeing almost every car my relatives had being converted right after purchase. Kits weren't that expensive...

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Archived