LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I went on a reasonably long trip on Saturday (about 450 km return) and got 7.8 litres/100 km = 36.2 miles per imperial gallon = 30.2 miles per US gallon. Not bad for a wagon and definitely better than my 2001 Miata would get. But my last fillup was CDN $92.76 in the Toronto area. It has never been that high before and there is no sign of anything coming down. This is a stock naturally aspirated 2.5 litre SOHC engine. I am happy with the mileage but it could get better.
Hell... most of us are ecstatic if we hit 25mpg on the highway with our turbo cars! LOL

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I know there are dozens of engine rebuild threads and videos, but none of them cover reinstalling the intake manifold and the rats nest of lines and hoses underneath. Does anyone have a rough guide on the order all that shtuff should go back on besides "installation is reverse of removal"? I'm pretty much replacing every hose and line as everything is fairly brittle and rotten.

Got the heads off the block the other day and all the cam journals are all scored so there's another $1600+ for new heads...didn't see any obvious broken pistons from the top, so I'll have to split the case and check it the ringlands out some time later. New STI shortblock should be here soon!

there's no need to split the case to check ringlands. all you need to do is pull the wrist pin port plugs (and the AOS cover plate) and yank out wrist pins and gently tap the pistons out using a long 3/8 or 1/4 extension via the bottom of the motor (oilpan removed obviously).

Here's vacuum line routing thread. The 08-09 is a bit different, but the major players are the same.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-2006-lgt-colored-vacuum-routing-diagram-143225p2.html

It's all layers of Hell putting it back together. Here is a good line pectoral but for the most part start at the 5 layer of hell. and work your way out.

Oil pump, water pump ect ect.

Keep in mind there is a fastener holding the fuel rails on the bottom middle of the intake. If you take all of the TGV and rails off you will find it. Must be put on before placing the intake back. You will never get the fastener back on assembled.

05LGT_routing_3.thumb.jpg.62e81f243cc1d606f8b6d7e302665d19.jpg

I know there are dozens of engine rebuild threads and videos, but none of them cover reinstalling the intake manifold and the rats nest of lines and hoses underneath. Does anyone have a rough guide on the order all that shtuff should go back on besides "installation is reverse of removal"? I'm pretty much replacing every hose and line as everything is fairly brittle and rotten.

Got the heads off the block the other day and all the cam journals are all scored so there's another $1600+ for new heads...didn't see any obvious broken pistons from the top, so I'll have to split the case and check it the ringlands out some time later. New STI shortblock should be here soon!

This might help:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/changing-top-feed-injectorsi-look-here-pix-fuel-rail-171943.html

The last few posts have been great about winding all the hoses and lines to the right place. I posted this a few months ago about getting the completed manifold installed and lined up properly to the heads:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6055150&postcount=7290

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6055151&postcount=7291

Two posts because I couldn't quickly find one of the pics.

I would love to understand more about how one goes about tuning per-cylinder comps! Were you set up for 4 channel EGT logging?

I logged whatever parameters Shamar asked me to give him. No special hardware beyond Open Port with LearningView (or whatever software could do logging, I forgot the details).

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Been working my pump tune with the BCP x500 one rev per day, on my way in to work. Today, exceeded power and torque that I had previously logged in VirtualDyno with my 16G on E85, on pump gas. Running 11:1 AFR, much less boost and less timing. Very happy with this turbo, later spool or not.

Thank you boys for the encouragement, pics, and links to the helpful posts. Sometimes it's tough digging through 20 years of posts to find what you need. Most of the time someone posts pics and instructions in an unrelated tangent...

I took the whole manifold off with most everything still attached so I could go back and replace things one at a time to make it a bit easier. All the hoses are brittle and probably every electrical connector is as brittle as a cracker. Thank god iWire has a whole engine bay connector kit for like $100. the engine wiring harness is about $350 from Subaru

Thank you boys for the encouragement, pics, and links to the helpful posts. Sometimes it's tough digging through 20 years of posts to find what you need. Most of the time someone posts pics and instructions in an unrelated tangent...

I took the whole manifold off with most everything still attached so I could go back and replace things one at a time to make it a bit easier. All the hoses are brittle and probably every electrical connector is as brittle as a cracker. Thank god iWire has a whole engine bay connector kit for like $100. the engine wiring harness is about $350 from Subaru

It's mutual. May need a few connectors during my rebuild. Was not aware of iWire till now and will circle back. Need to go through my stash before buying and not pickup parts I already have in stock.

Nice little comparison of the stock fenders vs the S402s from the front. God damn the S402s look so much more sexy.

2.thumb.jpg.4f749be3c6e024412660081291f57acf.jpg

The carbon lip is scheduled to be delivered this Friday and shipping was only 109% of the price of the lip/bumper :spin:. Still cheaper by a few hundred dollars than I expected so that was nice.

Other than that I think the shop is buffing & clear coating the headlights today and getting those mounted. The lenses are in good shape but I want the piece of mind and extra protection so figured no better time to get it done. Can't remember if I ever posted pics of them before but here they are. Had Circuit Demon update the projectors to Morimoto 4TL-Rs, etch the lens and add the demon eyes. Once this project is done I'm going to have to request a day off from work just to update my build thread.

5.1.thumb.jpg.a2bb7b88050c540ff8c1a03d61a4eccb.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.febdc6832b78e9c664b1461d936db2dc.jpg

3.1.thumb.jpg.db12fb56ba27b6f1ad3d0ac9f7453bc9.jpg

4.1.thumb.jpg.52e49b8141f19ba21f198f42fac7b1e0.jpg

Please add the iWire note to the IDEA-Web links page:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Nice little comparison of the stock fenders vs the S402s from the front. God damn the S402s look so much more sexy.

[ATTACH]296192[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296193[/ATTACH]

The carbon lip is scheduled to be delivered this Friday and shipping was only 109% of the price of the lip/bumper :spin:. Still cheaper by a few hundred dollars than I expected so that was nice.

Other than that I think the shop is buffing & clear coating the headlights today and getting those mounted. The lenses are in good shape but I want the piece of mind and extra protection so figured no better time to get it done. Can't remember if I ever posted pics of them before but here they are. Had Circuit Demon update the projectors to Morimoto 4TL-Rs, etch the lens and add the demon eyes. Once this project is done I'm going to have to request a day off from work just to update my build thread.

[ATTACH]296194[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296195[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296196[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the side by side. After almost 10 years on the boards I've seen a lot of effort to try to mimic and harken to the s402, but none have actually been as intriguing as those fenders.

I believe it's already there...Yep, post 246

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[ATTACH]296192[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296193[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]296194[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296195[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296196[/ATTACH]

Looking good man! Maybe here soon we can finally schedule a work day, lol. I can’t believe you got that S402 front lip, shippings always killer. Can’t wait to see this thing done!

On a much less exciting note, finally got my PS and battery cover installed, and cleaned all three covers w/ 303 aerospace protectant and installed. Engine bay still needs a ton of work in the cleaning dept but that stuff does wonders…

URL%5D

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo

This is getting a little out of hand I think...

IMG_9391.thumb.jpg.18f1e3bfc78f28880181fbc60a400951.jpg

Drove 3hrs to get a Phase II 4EAT from an '01 for my '99.

Was coming back and some idiot at the front of four cars on a two line hwy, decided to panic stop at 60 mph to not hit a squirrel.

The resulting braking mess (thankfully no one hit anyone else) tipped over the tranny in the back of my wagon and tore the rear cover and emptied half a quart of fluid (how I learned they hadn't fully drained the tranny). :spin::mad::spin:

Got that all cleaned up, now on the hunt for a replacement cargo cover.

I panicked for a bit when I realized that the '01 tranny didn't have stubs, but looked like it took male end axles. I couldn't find anything that mentioned this. But I realized after further research that the salvage yard most likely pulled the stubs out when they removed the axles, so I'm going to move the stubs from the busted tranny over.

Now just waiting on the new filters and axles seals to show up and I'll be able to finish the refresh and try to install.

Oy. Feel the horde pain. Have so many bins of new and old parts in the Garage it's getting out of hand. 2 street bikes, OBXT... Luckily no horde for the Tacoma.

Good luck on the swap.

Switched over the car yesterday to Amsoil 5w-40 Euro Mid saps, Got in all my exhaust wrap, all part for the External setup, Got to trade pulls with a newer STI and we both gave thumbs up. I now know I need better brake pad on the car. I have them sitting in the garage I have just bee lazy lol.

I plan on putting all the parts on the car including my gold 18s once I get my car back. Ill be ready for summer fun :lol::spin:.

Why did you go with the more expensive stuff ? I've been using the full saps for over 150,000 miles. I do 7-8000 mile oil changes using their filter EA15K13. I did send a sample off to Blackstone who told me the oil was still good at that mileage.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Gold wheels for the summer sound fantastic. My horde includes those, unwrapped from shipping years ago. Could use some hatch struts, swap in my ss brake lines, and fresh pads. But mostly concerned about safety with the overnight loss of my passenger side mirror. Check the FS threads for my WTB post.

But mostly concerned about safety with the overnight loss of my passenger side mirror. Check the FS threads for my WTB post.

Damn, sorry to hear that. Now you’re literally and figuratively looking over your shoulder. I’ll check with my buddy Kolchak. Maybe he saw something while stalking the night. Good luck!