LegacyGT.com

Koni inserts for non-USDM 5th gens

Hi everyone.

Anyone here from outside the US tried the known Koni insert mod for the 5th gen? I was about to order mine but I saw in the Facebook group that the JDM Bilsteins are not compatible with the USDM cars because of different mounting points for the front. I am assuming that my car is modelled after JDM since it has Bilsteins as OEM. Is USDM suspension is compatible with JDM(or EDM)?

The only mounting points are the bolts that connect the strut body to the knuckle. If the jdm use a different knuckle the holes could be in slightly different spots but the strut tube itself shouldn't be any different. We're talking about the inserts I'm assuming

Hi Ivan, our cars are JDM.

But the changes I've seen are mostly cosmetic, suspension should bolt right up.

Fahr_side suggested RCE Bilsteins to me and he has worked with the JDM suspension so I assume further that parts will interchange.

A problem may be with using inserts. I am not sure if they will fit the strut bodies of our OE Bilsteins.

I know we have KYB here but I havent checked if they have the Legacy Excel G variant that the US has that can accept the Koni inserts.

What I know is we have the New SR and Lowfer available locally. But there is a big chance the New SR body is the same as the Excel G.

08-up WRX struts will fit and I know Excel G is available for those models. But WRX struts have a perch that is about 1" lower and will lower the fronts by that much.

STI struts will not fit as they have different spindle hole spacing.

The only mounting points are the bolts that connect the strut body to the knuckle. If the jdm use a different knuckle the holes could be in slightly different spots but the strut tube itself shouldn't be any different. We're talking about the inserts I'm assuming

@Shadow_419

yes, I am talking about the Koni inserts. What I'm worried about is buying a donor KYB excel strut from the US (since that's the 5th gen strut that is proven to accept the Koni's) then finding out that the strut is not compatible to our Legacy here in the Philippines.

Hi Ivan, our cars are JDM.

But the changes I've seen are mostly cosmetic, suspension should bolt right up.

Fahr_side suggested RCE Bilsteins to me and he has worked with the JDM suspension so I assume further that parts will interchange.

A problem may be with using inserts. I am not sure if they will fit the strut bodies of our OE Bilsteins.

I know we have KYB here but I havent checked if they have the Legacy Excel G variant that the US has that can accept the Koni inserts.

What I know is we have the New SR and Lowfer available locally. But there is a big chance the New SR body is the same as the Excel G.

08-up WRX struts will fit and I know Excel G is available for those models. But WRX struts have a perch that is about 1" lower and will lower the fronts by that much.

STI struts will not fit as they have different spindle hole spacing.

@Scubaboo

That's exactly what I'm worried about. Excel-G is available for LGT from KYB PH, but I can't confirm if it's the exact model as the USDM Excel-G. So I'm worried about these:

a. buying an Excel strut here in PH then finding out that the Koni inserts won't fit (incompatible diameters)

b. buying an Excel from the US then finding out that it doesn't fit my LGT.

I talked to Joe (GTEASER), he said I only need to find out the outer diameter of the strut to know if the Koni's will fit or not. So, I asked our KYB distributor here for help or just give me the part numbers but they won't give it to me unless I buy the said products.

Who, Massive? They give out part numbers, but sometimes they arent so accomodating on the phone lol!

I know the KYB Excel G part number everyone is using is posted here somwhere, I've seen it but I dont remember where.

I can get the locally available Excel G part number here to confirm, but I am confident it will be the same as in the US.

I'll check tomorrow and post it here.

Who, Massive? They give out part numbers, but sometimes they arent so accomodating on the phone lol!

I know the KYB Excel G part number everyone is using is posted here somwhere, I've seen it but I dont remember where.

I can get the locally available Excel G part number here to confirm, but I am confident it will be the same as in the US.

I'll check tomorrow and post it here.

JDM Legacy GT BM9 KYB Excel-G part numbers:

339238 front left

339239 front right

340043 rear

That's unfair, they gave it to you but not to me haha. I only inquired thru Messenger though. Anyway, thanks for the help.

TubII9T.thumb.png.cfd824a454c5b8a2e63985914c50395f.png

Ivan, who are you getting your Koni's from BTW, and what springs are you pairing them with?

I'm buying them directly from the US. I'll have them ship it to a cargo forwarder there, then the cargo forwarder will ship them here. I'll pair them with Eibach Pro-Kit, which I already bought.

JDM Legacy GT BM9 KYB Excel-G part numbers:

339238 front left

339239 front right

340043 rear

I went to Subaru dealer today. I can now confirm that our Legacies are fully modelled after the JDM 5th gen. I got the part numbers for the facelifted 5th gen sold here in the Philippines, which are equipped with KYB: 20310AJ160, 20310AJ170.

A quick search confirms that the same struts are used in the 2012 JDM LGT. Good thing I did not order the USDM KYB struts right away! I find it weird though that we have the same parts as the right hand drive model instead of the left hand drive USDM model.

I went to Subaru dealer today. I can now confirm that our Legacies are fully modelled after the JDM 5th gen. I got the part numbers for the facelifted 5th gen sold here in the Philippines, which are equipped with KYB: 20310AJ160, 20310AJ170.

A quick search confirms that the same struts are used in the 2012 JDM LGT. Good thing I did not order the USDM KYB struts right away! I find it weird though that we have the same parts as the right hand drive model instead of the left hand drive USDM model.

Oh, I didnt know the facelifts here had KYB's, cool!

As I understand the JDM LGT's have a few variants, and the sports package is the version with Bilsteins (and the one the PI has, at least till the facelift).

So post facelift we have the standard suspension, which would be closest to the USDM version.

Thanks for all the info!

• 3 years later...

Hello, I’m from Mexico and have a similar issue with my 2011 GT. The one we got here is closer to JDM than USDM, so I’m wondering if in Philippines did the 2012 KYBs fit on the 2011 model without issue? Just got a quote for the 2011 OEM shocks (20310AJ020 and 030) from the dealer and we’re talking about $1250 USD for both front shocks (not a joke!). The 2012s (20310AJ160 and 170) are slightly cheaper at $600 for both would think this is because the 2011s are Bilsteins vs KYB for 2012), so I’m trying to figure if I’ll go this way based on any feedback received here. I’ve tried but haven’t been able to find KYBs (339238 and 39) or Monroes (G8246 and 47) anywhere. Any help will be really appreciated!

Hello Zonico, yes, 2012 struts will physically fit your 2011 car.

However, I am not sure which spring and damper combos were released in your market. You may get a situation like in the US where the early suspensions were stiffer than the later suspensions so you would feel a difference if you used one or the other. But they will fit and work with each other, and some US users mix and match on purpose to their preference.

If your car has the sport suspension (yellow Bilstein inverted struts), I would not advise using any of the black standard struts as the springs are quite stiff and Ive heard of people trying that here and end up with a underdamped suspension.