LegacyGT.com

Clutch help please

vangloryous

I'm the only one it seems that likes Spec Clutch's Spec 2+. Its a carbon/kevlar friction material, so it will make a noise every now and then but has a light pedal pressure and great hold.

I also replaced the dual mass FW with a 07-09 Legacy GT FW. So order a clutch for a 07-09 LGT and get the hex head bolts for the FW.

You'll need a torx T50+ to get the old dual mess FW off the crank.

I would email a Tech at any clutch company you chose to verify you buy the right stuff.

You can also read reviews of some clutches on this forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No, I have not had any problems with the 3 Spec Clutches I have had. I also had the first Spec LWFW as you may remember.

Back in the day, we had a a Honda Civic racing buddy who worked at Spec and was a big help when I needed a LWFW shipped to the dealership overnight. He grabbed one of there final test units, cleaned it, put a new friction surface on it and had it at my local dealership the next morning.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Go oem....exedy fjk1000.

I just had a bad experience with an act that left me getting towed, have a friend who had a pressure plate finger fail on his comp clutch. Heard good things about south bend, but if you’re sub 400 wtq and daily the car I’d recommend the fjk1000.

Not being part of the crowd is nothing to be ashamed of. The crowd does not always know best. Your experience is what matters most.

Understand.

My first Spec 2+ was still going strong at 82,000 miles when I put the ej257 in the wagon. At that time it was my choice, I wrongly put a Spec 2 clutch in and it only lasted 50,000 miles. That was replaced with a 07-09 SMFW and Spec 2+, at around 215,000 miles.

Car is about the turn 277,000 miles and the 2+ is still great. 62,000 miles on the clutch.

• 2 months later...

OEM Turbo, TMIC, Up/down Stage II something or other on the COBB, E85 tune at one point.

1) Original clutch couldn't hold and died a premature death.

2) ACT went in with flywheel. Complete POS. Heavy, binary engagement, chatter, smells.

3) Exedy "Racing" Stage 1, SMFW. Heavy but lighter than act, proper engagement, no chatter....just started slipping and smelling after ~20K.

In the market for a new clutch. Would love to know what people are running in cars with 300+ whp. I've have bad luck with Subaru clutches. (ACT works great in the Miata.)

I’m pretty sure that they use the same disk with different pressure plates the OEM is fine for 300 hp. I had issues with an ACT clutch also . A lot of people seem to have good results with South bend. They use the OEM desk also but seem to have figured out a good pressure plate

Again, the Spec 2+ or Southbend.

Still very happy with the light pedal of my Spec 2+, its just a bit more then the stock set up in my 09 Spec B. Not much of a difference going between cars.