LegacyGT.com

First time Subee owner - My Experience :(

Where do I start? First, I love the culture and concept of Subaru, however, my experience with my 2016 2.5 Limited has been quite a ride. At this point, all I can say is Thank God I purchased the extended warranty. Here goes.....

Purchased a certified 24 month lease return with 28K miles on it from the dealer that leased it out. All good there, records impeccable.

Issue#1 1/23/19, Battery died. New one installed. Towing free due to Starlink subscription. :)

Issue#2 1/30/19, Steering gear box assembly failed.

Issue#3 10/31/19, Front strut, RH front and RH rear hub unit bearing, & gear box assembly (again), & power steering failed.

Issue#4 11/7/19, Active Grille Shutter binding failed

Issue#5, WUJ95 Recall

Issue #6, Link bar stabilizers, RH F axle, Steering gear box assembly (AGAIN!!) & power steering failed.

Anyone else have so many issues with their 2016?

Edited by SubeeOrNotSubee

Just out of curiosity, I'm wonder what happened with "gear box assembly (again), & power steering failed.". I wonder what your symptoms were, and what parts the dealer replaced. I wonder if there was a leak, or if you had steering issues, etc.

Not sure about 5th gens but our 6thgens legacy have electric power steering,so no pump or leaking fluid.

The issue I had with my My17 steering rack is rattling noise,dealer replaced a tension spring and it worked for a while then rattle came back,then dealer replaced the whole rack assembly back in January,rattle went away till couple weeks ago I started hearing the damn rattle again,so car is going back to dealer soon:/

Sounds more like they slid into something like a curb on the right side and never reported it.

I wonder if how the frame and front subframe line up.

What were the symptoms for each time the the rack failed?

What about the hub assemblies and end links?

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

You bought a used car, your experiences are not indicative of the reality of the majority of Subaru owners. If you want a true picture of what Subaru is as a car and car company buy a new one.

I'm sorry your first one sucks. As others have indicated above something is hidden or amiss with your car. I'd ditch it and move on.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I tend to agree that the previous owner had a very specific reason for ditching the car. I've owned 5 subarus over the past 30 years, 4 of them used. All have been great.

• 3 weeks later...
I have had my fair share of issues with my 2016 legacy premium. Out of all my Subarus ranging from models from 2000 all the way up to the present above, it's the most greminly car I have owned. It still get the job done but I won't keep it as long as the others as I don't have confidence in it's long term reliability. 58K on it as of today.

I have had my fair share of issues with my 2016 legacy premium. Out of all my Subarus ranging from models from 2000 all the way up to the present above, it's the most greminly car I have owned. It still get the job done but I won't keep it as long as the others as I don't have confidence in it's long term reliability. 58K on it as of today.
I have been a long time Subie owner myself and wanted to step into the New Generation Legacy after seeing the Eyesite Safety commercials. I was pretty impressed so I pulled the trigger to buy one. I purchased my 3.6r New in 15' and Honesty I can't be more Happier the only problem I encountered was a bad rear wheel bearing typical subaru issue.. And of course I encountered the Transmission TSB and had to have mine replaced and the Second Transmission had a Chain Cover Leak after 47k Miles So I can say I do have concerns with the CVT Transmissions since my other Subaru's were Manual Transmissions.. Price Tag on a New CVT will make my Car a Paper Weight if it Fails again.. [emoji17][emoji17][emoji17]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Sorry about your troubles. My first Subaru was the ‘15 Legacy 3.6R, no eyesight. Pretty decent car. Traded it in at 77k miles.

Bought my daughter a 2020 Impreza sedan with eyesight. So far so good.

Both bought new.

I’m probably going to get an Ascent as my next Subaru for the 3rd row seat.

I have been a long time Subie owner myself and wanted to step into the New Generation Legacy after seeing the Eyesite Safety commercials. I was pretty impressed so I pulled the trigger to buy one. I purchased my 3.6r New in 15' and Honesty I can't be more Happier the only problem I encountered was a bad rear wheel bearing typical subaru issue.. And of course I encountered the Transmission TSB and had to have mine replaced and the Second Transmission had a Chain Cover Leak after 47k Miles So I can say I do have concerns with the CVT Transmissions since my other Subaru's were Manual Transmissions.. Price Tag on a New CVT will make my Car a Paper Weight if it Fails again.. [emoji17][emoji17][emoji17]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I liked the 3.6r models but were pricey to be honest. With regards to the CVT, only time will tell, so lets just hope it lasts.

I also really like the ascent but again, way outside my budget.

Once I find work as furloughed from covid for over 6 months now, I will be trading for a base tacoma 4x4 or 4x2 as it suits my lifestyle better for camping and such. The 4 cylinder tacoma's are bullet proof and the engine and tranny have been produced for a long time, so not many bugs or issues one would have to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds more like they slid into something like a curb on the right side and never reported it.

I wonder if how the frame and front subframe line up.

What were the symptoms for each time the the rack failed?

What about the hub assemblies and end links?

The symptoms were excessive play in the steering wheel each time. With the play came a knocking sound. The last replacement was an “upgraded@ part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You bought a used car, your experiences are not indicative of the reality of the majority of Subaru owners. If you want a true picture of what Subaru is as a car and car company buy a new one.

I'm sorry your first one sucks. As others have indicated above something is hidden or amiss with your car. I'd ditch it and move on.

It was a 24 month lease return that was certified from same dealer who initially leased it out. I figured that was a good way to go when buying a used car. The latest update since the last repairs is all good. No additional issues thus far. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow - that sucks (as you are aware...) It definitely sounds like something is messed up that's taking the same components out again and again... you might consider calling SoA and see if they will extend the warranty on it or something like that. I imagine the electronic power steering stuff is a really expensive part, so you don't want to be stuck holding the bag if it goes when you are out of warranty! (up through the 5th gen, it was hydraulic) - other than the battery and the recall, the rest really sounds like there is something messed up in the front of the car - I think the theory of an unreported curb strike or something like that is a good one... you might consider bringing it to a body shop (or see if Subaru will do the same) to have them make some frame measurements and do an inspection...