LegacyGT.com

e-tune or dynotune for Stage 1

I couldn't find this subject through a search but I sort remember reading about something similar in one of the big threads.

My GT's engine right now is 100% stock besides an Cobb AP. The engine logs well and I have yet to see my DAM be anything but 1.00. I am planning on adding an aftermarket BPV and having the engine tuned. I planning on adding a CBE sometime in the future for a little basically noise purposes, but that will not affect the tune. (I am on the fence whether or not to do this year or not) If I ever decide to do more mods I will go straight to a stage 3 with a bigger turbo, TMIC, DP.

With so little mods, does it make sense for a Dyno tune. I live about 40 minutes from BrenTuning. He has a good reputation so it makes sense to use him. If I do an e-tune, I would drive 20 minutes to a highway that is in the same direction as Bren's shop to do my 3rd gear runs.

Also for minor details such as AEM drop in filter and the original fuel pump, does it makes sense to do those before a tune? My car has a new paper filter and the original fuel pump (95K miles). The older regulator electric fuel pumps with a return wouldn't make a difference as long as the pump could keep up with the fuel demands; I don't don't how the PWM return fuel pumps compensate. I was planning on doing a fuel filter this fall since I am guess it was not done at 60k miles. Replacing the fuel pump would just push back the date when I would have it tuned. Or should I just ask Bren what his preference is?

Stock filter and pump are fine. A dyno tune is always better but you don't really need one for what you have. Sure it's only 40 minutes away for the dyno and 20 for the etune but isn't the dyno 2 or 3 times more $$$? If you want to play it extra safe and you have the money get the dyno tune otherwise you're fine with an etune. Can't go wrong with either option.

Archived