LegacyGT.com

Hit an animal, help me with damage

A raccoon jumped in front of my car at 75MPH.

http://imgur.com/a/NIB4z4h

http://imgur.com/a/z4eAqjF

http://imgur.com/a/6Z665o3

Few questions:

1. The radiator feels a little loose from the top by the coolant reservoir. Is that missing a snap cap or something?

2. The radiator doesn't appear to be damaged and I drove two hours home after this happened. However the frame appears to be damaged and the radiator supports seem to be uprooted a bit. Is this an issue if I leave it like that?

3. This knocked my in-car outside temperature sensor out. I see it dangling down with 1 of 2 wires detached. I needed a new one before anyway but will I need a wire harness too based on the picture?

4. Where does the temperature sensor attach to on the rear of the bumper?

5. What part number is the sensor?

6. Does the sensor control anything to do with the heating and cooling of the car or does it just display the outside temperature next to how many miles to a tank I have left?

7. I see I can get a new painted bumper cover on ebay for $250 total. Is this a good price or could I get the same color likely for cheaper at a junk yard? What's a good price?

8. What is the plastic piece model number that goes behind the bumper cover that also looks damaged?

9. What is the model number for the under engine plastic that is like an aerodynamic shield? I see a short and long one on Amazon but not sure what it had.

10. What pop in caps do I need to secure the plastic pieces?

Edited by computersoc

I don't have any answers, just wanted to say sorry for your car and the raccoon! Best of luck with the repairs! Also, if you end up needing a new radiator, the koyorad one is pretty cheap through amazon right now.

Few questions:

1. The radiator feels a little loose from the top by the coolant reservoir. Is that missing a snap cap or something?

2. The radiator doesn't appear to be damaged and I drove two hours home after this happened. However the frame appears to be damaged and the radiator supports seem to be uprooted a bit. Is this an issue if I leave it like that?

3. This knocked my in-car outside temperature sensor out. I see it dangling down with 1 of 2 wires detached. I needed a new one before anyway but will I need a wire harness too based on the picture?

6. Does the sensor control anything to do with the heating and cooling of the car or does it just display the outside temperature next to how many miles to a tank I have left?

7. I see I can get a new painted bumper cover on ebay for $250 total. Is this a good price or could I get the same color likely for cheaper at a junk yard? What's a good price?

8. What is the plastic piece model number that goes behind the bumper cover that also looks damaged?

9. What is the model number for the under engine plastic that is like an aerodynamic shield? I see a short and long one on Amazon but not sure what it had.

I would guess your bent radiator support is causing your loose radiator. The radiator don't bolt in. The bottom is connected by alignment pins, the top is held by the two back bracket that bolt the support.

It might be hard to reassemble the broken pieces by the temperature sensor. That plastic center piece looks like its $42 from Subaru, the radiator support is $350. I am not sure if its welded in.

How many miles are on your car? What is its realistic condition?

You should be able to bend the radiator support and piece it together make it functional. It won't be perfect.

Or you could replace all the parts and fix it right. It probably won't be too expensive (compared to the vehicles value) if you do some of the work your self. The bumper isn't hard to remove neither are most of those parts may besides the radiator support.

The sensor I can't imagine being that expensive. No match what you be able to piece together the wiring even if the harness is damaged. The lower part of the radiator support can be purchased separately but that part would definitely need to be cut and welded to the existing support.

An encounter with a furry forest creature! Better a racoon than a dear, I would say!

Nothing missing that I can see - there are no caps there

The support under the radiator is bent upwards, and that's what's giving you the loose feeling - that part needs to be bent back down. The part is called the lower tie bar (p/n 53029AJ04A9P - msrp is $65 and it is welded into place, so bending it back is probably the way to go)

you might need to try and salvage the connector and resolder the leads if it isn't too bad... not sure it's available as a subharness

It usually snaps into the rusty tab with a hole in it that's sitting in front of where it is now

it's p/n 73730AG00A (MSRP is $14.12)

It's used by the AC system (it's called the ambient sensor in the wiring, and the sensor below the steering wheel is the in-vehicle sensor)

I've been looking at the eBay bumpers (I have a mark on my rear bumper and was thinking about replacing it) - keep in mind most of them come all folded up, and can have some damage - if you go on youtube, you can find all sorts of videos about them. I think our bumper would lend itself to being folded and not get damaged

57707AJ56A, msrp is $42.02

Not sure - parts.subaru.com uses the same part number with different pictures - not sure which one is the long, two part one with the heat pad on it on the GT and which is the one for the 2.5i... you can probably buy the cheaper of the two and it will be the right one (both should work)

the part that's under the bumper uses six p/n 909140007

I got this under tray from carid to hold me up until i got the primitive skid plate and was reasonably impressed with how cheap it was

https://www.carid.com/2010-subaru-legacy-underbody-covers/

And i love this kit for clips

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L6FJGR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fIrIFbFPBTMM1

It has a lot of clips that actually match with subaru ones, some of them better

I have the first one for my GT. The metal part is important for not melting :D

Front Center Engine Splash Shield

DescriptionFeatures

Front Center Engine Splash Shield by Replace®. Plastic. Designed specifically for your vehicle, Engine Cover is individually tested to confirm similar to the Original Equipment functional capabilities prior to leaving the manufacturing workshop of a plant to meet the exceptional quality standards and ideally fit your vehicle.

Replaces Original (OE) Part #:

56410AJ02B, S9164C, SU1228105, B01NBE0MIS, 11759213

$32.90 more details on - https://www.carid.com/2010-subaru-legacy-chassis-frames-body/replace-engine-cover-83727922.html

Which engine splash shield is the right one? I think I had the second down on that link but wouldn't mind a larger one.

The third one is for the 2.5i.

The top one is for the GT, I am not sure if the 2.5i have the bolt in the crossmember to bolt the GT under splash on.

Doesn't require a frame machine (sadly, I went down this road 6 or 7 years back) - getting the radiator and condenser out of the way would help. For tools, I think in this case a block or two of wood, along with a dead blow hammer would be sufficient - you'll need to clean it up and throw some paint on it, too. It is just on one side, so you have a reference on the other side for what it should look like. (you are fortunate - the center part is what the hood latch attaches to - when you bend the tiebar there, you mess up the hood latching position, too)

Might be worth checking to see what a shop would charge to change out the damaged one for a new one (you could pre-paint the areas away from where they are going to weld).