LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

looks to be that it was just accumulated air recking the vacuum because the coolant has over 100K on it. topped off and bled it with some blue stuff and the car is acting normally, temps drop after crossing the 190 threshold, fluid drains out of the overflow back down below the high mark once cooled. just need to do a little flush and get some fresh fluid in there. do i really need to run subaru supercoolant or can i just use regular blue stuff with the subaru additive?

Best bet is to use the best stuff available, so I would use Subaru's coolant.

yup, subarus can be finicky with coolant, so going OEM is the safest bett...it's a little more expensive than the generic stuff, but at $50 for 2 gallons...it's not exorbitantly high

I know that i'm willing to throw down money on my vehicles, if it means it'll keep them running for as long as possible.

I do want to use the best stuff... I just don't understand why a car manufacturer would have the best. You'd think valvoline would be better at making fluids since, ya know, they make fluids. I'm going with Subaru fluids since I can't find any legitimate answers as to how it's the same/different from normal blue stuff before the additive they use to keep head gaskets in place while constantly wet. Only reason I used valvoline was because it was sunday and subaru was closed and I needed to make sure that I didn't have a bigger problem. Lucky I was using my accessport for a coolant gauge because the hot light didn't come on. Does anyone know what temp it comes on at? Edited by ripstik

I do want to use the best stuff... I just don't understand why a car manufacturer would have the best. You'd think valvoline would be better at making fluids since, ya know, they make fluids. I'm going with Subaru fluids since I can't find any legitimate answers as to how it's the same/different from normal blue stuff before the additive they use to keep head gaskets in place while constantly wet. Only reason I used valvoline was because it was sunday and subaru was closed and I needed to make sure that I didn't have a bigger problem. Lucky I was using my accessport for a coolant gauge because the hot light didn't come on. Does anyone know what temp it comes on at?
I cant find the temp the light triggers at, but I did find out if its blinking the engine us close to over heating if its solid its already there. I seem to recall overheating being in the 225 degree range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Carpet cleaned it. Y'all please do this bc I thought it looked clean as it was but damn the rug doctor machine sucked up dirtyy water, like coffee and cola color.

While cleaning I found my airbag recall papers and just stumbled a mechanic note on the second page. "unsafe audio wiring near airbag inflator and two loose exposed wires as fire hazard. promptly rerouted wires and covered wires. Customer notified to reconnect wires in a safe manner".

Took a look and sure enough my right dash tweeter wasn't connected. I apparently had no idea bc the recall was done back in March lol

I cant find the temp the light triggers at, but I did find out if its blinking the engine us close to over heating if its solid its already there. I seem to recall overheating being in the 225 degree range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It got to 230 just after i turned it off not sure what it was before that because i wasn't monitoring it, i didn't see any lights at any point though.

Carpet cleaned it. Y'all please do this bc I thought it looked clean as it was but damn the rug doctor machine sucked up dirtyy water, like coffee and cola color.

While cleaning I found my airbag recall papers and just stumbled a mechanic note on the second page. "unsafe audio wiring near airbag inflator and two loose exposed wires as fire hazard. promptly rerouted wires and covered wires. Customer notified to reconnect wires in a safe manner".

Took a look and sure enough my right dash tweeter wasn't connected. I apparently had no idea bc the recall was done back in March lol

you have weathertechs or decent floormats down? they help tremendously and are like...a trillion times easier to clean than carpet...

you have weathertechs or decent floormats down? they help tremendously and are like...a trillion times easier to clean than carpet...

I can attest to that. My mother has spilled her tea on the rubber floor mats in my cars over the years, and they are so much better than carpet.

The floor mats are going to get dirty unless you have another set of mats over them all the time. This happens even in nicer climates. I wash my floor mats every year and it amazing at how dirty they get. I have the rubber winter mats I put in the winters.

I do want to use the best stuff... I just don't understand why a car manufacturer would have the best. You'd think valvoline would be better at making fluids since, ya know, they make fluids. I'm going with Subaru fluids since I can't find any legitimate answers as to how it's the same/different from normal blue stuff before the additive they use to keep head gaskets in place while constantly wet. Only reason I used valvoline was because it was sunday and subaru was closed and I needed to make sure that I didn't have a bigger problem. Lucky I was using my accessport for a coolant gauge because the hot light didn't come on. Does anyone know what temp it comes on at?

The car manufacturer doesnt make the fluid, but they make the specs (whether they make their own proprietary spec or adopt an existing one).

Fluid manufacturer then makes fluids to that spec, car manufacturer contracts with them to supply in proprietary packaging.

The car manufacturer branded stuff is always a safe bet, sometimes it's the only game in town (like for BMW X-drive center diff fluid, which has no aftermarket substitutes when I had to do mine), and oftentimes there are many equivalent or better, if you can pin down the spec and compare.

Not my 5th gen specifically, but did some more updates to my Body Kit thread. Completed updates to Cyber R and Delta Speed, will be doing all the other manufacturers in similar formats. https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-bm-br-body-kit-compendium-283956.html

thanks for all the hard work humble--it's cool seeing all this stuff we didn't get in the states...also makes me sad.

Thanks man, also completed the DAMD post as well last night.

And yeah, I feel the same, combination of sad and frustrated. Some of the changes between USDM and JDM are infuriating. Like, I understand front end changes to an extent for American crash restrictions, but cosmetic things on parts of the car that were unchanged? Like removing the rear bumper reflectors, or how about making a pre-facelift blacked out headlight option, or even just the raised trunk spoiler. Even further, things like the rear bumper lip, they actually HAD a USDM part # that was searchable, but it was only used for the 2009 SEMA car, so the USDM part #, despite being searchable in dealerships, is marked "SEMA Only". It's all just silly, and honestly, contributed to the downfall of the Legacy. In it's JDM form, it was a hugely popular model worldwide.

Thanks man, also completed the DAMD post as well last night.

And yeah, I feel the same, combination of sad and frustrated. Some of the changes between USDM and JDM are infuriating. Like, I understand front end changes to an extent for American crash restrictions, but cosmetic things on parts of the car that were unchanged? Like removing the rear bumper reflectors, or how about making a pre-facelift blacked out headlight option, or even just the raised trunk spoiler. Even further, things like the rear bumper lip, they actually HAD a USDM part # that was searchable, but it was only used for the 2009 SEMA car, so the USDM part #, despite being searchable in dealerships, is marked "SEMA Only". It's all just silly, and honestly, contributed to the downfall of the Legacy. In it's JDM form, it was a hugely popular model worldwide.

sema only is stupid as...like...what guys? ugh.

the only upside is at this point getting a JDM front end really isn't *terribly* expensive, so if someone really wanted to go ham and do everything to get that OEM+ style they could, but that's still $1500, plus dent removal from shipping, painting, and then trying to find all of those parts, the massive import fees and shipping on those large, assumedly hard to find parts is just...disappointingly expensive.

at least we've got some lip options? ....

the only upside is at this point getting a JDM front end really isn't *terribly* expensive, so if someone really wanted to go ham and do everything to get that OEM+ style they could, but that's still $1500, plus dent removal from shipping, painting, and then trying to find all of those parts, the massive import fees and shipping on those large, assumedly hard to find parts is just...disappointingly expensive.

USDM has literally 2 and only 2 bespoke front lip options, and one has been discontinued since 2017 lmao.

Could just take a trip to Mexico. Swap it all and drive back. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(7) year old factory battery finally called it quits in the 2013 Legacy. Leaving soon to get a battery from one of my friend shop that he order this morning.

That's a long time for a battery. I think we originally got 5 years or so on our original battery.

Corazon post is complete in my Body Kit thread if anyone wants to look through one of the most expansive and gorgeous body kit selections available for our cars. Very nearly the biggest (if not the biggest) post I'll have to make in the thread aside from Rowen, tons of stuff to look through. Enjoy.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-bm-br-body-kit-compendium-283956.html?p=5990044

We put in the new battery and notice it did it once where the motor turned over (running) and then shut off still in park. The second attempt had no issue what so ever. I'm little stump over this. Wondering if it's the vehicle theft security. Edited by amusa