LegacyGT.com

Installed rebuilt engine, won’t start...

Team,

There seems to be a ground issue, I think? If I try to jump the legacy with my sti, it seems to crank fine, acessport works, actually cranks over but won’t start. If I take the jumper cables off it won’t even crank, click, dead battery sound, nothing, acessport will not turn on either.

I made sure the two ground straps on the motor are grounded to the body, they are I cleaned the spots again and reattached.

Two ground wire under the top mount Inter Bracket on the driver side.

If I am forgetting a ground please help me remember lol

Fuel pump primes, you can hear it...

I’m going to assuming it’s getting air...

Stuck here.

if it cranks when connected via jumper cables, but not otherwise, it sounds like a power problem - I am guessing the battery is dead, but maybe there other electrical issues, as well - all the main fuses ok?

Year and trim would also help so we know if there are common issues to whatever platform you are working on.

Have you load tested the battery?

Double check the cam/crank sensors.

Make sure you have fuel at the lines, the harnesses are all seated correctly.

The ground for the injector harness is connected and making good contact. You can always add a ground strap wherever you feel one may be needed.

Are the fuel lines connected correctly, on older models switching them up can cause a no start condition.

2012 legacy gt turbo 6speed . Fuel lines look good. Car has interior lights working, radio, headlights. But when you go to turn it over, nothing, not even a click. If I ground the bracket on the intake manifold on the left hand side of the motor, I get, the obII power, acessport works, and it will crank over. I’m wondering if I have these mixed up or something? I have the grounds from the heads to the frame, back of the starter and two on the left hand side of the intake.

Alright. So, I don’t hav ethe intercooler on because I wanted to be able to see all around the motor for leaks and stuff. The bracket that holds the intercooler on, I think, is part of the ground problem. I put the bracket on and the thing starts up, no jumpers or anything needed? Anyone else have this happen?

I went through this last weekend after deleting the tgvs. The fuel rail cover bracket on the drivers side normally has a ground bolted to it. After installing iag deletes, the cover no longer had anywhere to bolt to. I had to relocate the ground elsewhere on the block. I had similar issues while trying to find a good place to bolt it. The Christmas lights were cutting in and out and the accessport was reading please connect to obd2. Found a good bolt that held on the coolant pipe and it started up fine, just had to extend the ground wire.

Maybe this will help you. This is from the 2010 FSM. I would think 2012 would be the same.

Looks like the ECM, cam and crank sensors and the ignition coils all share the same ground. - GE (page 10 of the ground circuit diagram)

Located left rear of the engine (page 5 of the engine wiring harness)

Sounds like what Brett_dub was referring to

4. Ground Circuit.pdf

58. Engine Wiring Harness and Transmission Cord.pdf