LegacyGT.com

cost for clutch job ?

What's a reasonable price for a clutch job at a dealership ? With flywheel ?

I realize a dealership tends to be more expensive, but I have a $500 "good will" coupon that expires soon and nothing much else I need to spend it on. I'm pretty much committed to the dealership anyhow, but want to try not to get ripped off too badly.

Book time for clutch and flywheel is 5.1 hours according to this manual - https://jdmfsm.info/Auto/--General--/LaborRate/Subaru.pdf - line 4 on page 116, Маховик (means flywheel, so everything down to flywheel removal and back together).

Expect something around 100-150 per hour at the dealership. Plus parts, you can look up cost for that on parts.subaru.com. Dealers all charge their own markup, but that'll give you a ballpark value.

Will they install whatever clutch you bring to them ? I'm not a fan of OEM clutch in these cars. Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

For what it's worth my local subie dealership in HB quoted me over $2k a few weeks ago for clutch and flywheel (parts/labor). Sounded outrageous to me.

That's absurd. OE clutch and flywheel parts look like they'd come out to about $650 per Subaru's own site, so they quoted you something like $260/hr labor. Even the book time is a little long - I've done a clutch in less time on a lift.

Well, $2200 is what they quoted me (with flywheel). Thing is, car broke down and was un-drivable, so I got it towed there free by State Farm. Anyhow, it's being done, my only hope is to push back against what thy want to charge. I have notes where they quoted $1550 (perhaps before tax) awhile back, so I kinda wonder if they charge differently for "elective" and towed-in (which would be outrageous of course).

I'm thinking that $1550 quote was without the flywheel. I went back and looked through my paperwork, I've had my clutch done at 3 different dealerships.

I paid around $1380 without a flywheel, docs say the estimate they gave me was $1500 (That's why I said 1500 above, I mistakenly thought they did the flywheel the first time, they didn't. I have heard you can reuse my dual mass flywheel one time, maybe that's why they didn't replace). When I brought a new flywheel to a different dealership, after deciding not to do it myself, I paid around $1250 or so, including them replacing the clutch hose. That's why it's crazy to hear over 2k from 2 people even with the flywheel

those damn stealerships... Maybe find out if you can use the Good Will voucher on gear (hoodies etc) then either return it like a few weeks later and claim you lost the receipt and paid cash or resell it.

Too late. My only hope is to push back on the charges - anyone, particularly dealer people, got hints on that ? I'll try to take small comfort in the fact that I didn't try very hard to get the $500 goodwill voucher - just bitched about the sticky dashboard - and with it the charges won't be all that crazy.

Pressure plate 30210AA590 $174.95

Disk 30100AA851 $169.95

Release bearing 30502AA051 $54.95

Pilot bearing 806212020 $10.95

Flywheel 12342AA08B $284.95

Parts= $695.75 before tax

Book time for replacement is 4.4 hours+.2 for flywheel and +.2 for pilot bearing

4.8 hours at $150 an hour= $720

Total is $1,415.75 pre tax. $1,482.99 at 4.75% tax

Prices, part numbers and labor times are all off of Alldata.

The quote they gave you is high. I'm sure they somehow upcharged the parts or labor to compensate for your coupon.

Subtracting parts cost leaves labor at $313.38 an hour per their $2,200 quote at 4.8 hour

Subieguys.com

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

isn't the clutch for the i different from the gt? The i clutch kit from exedy is like 200 bucks... Exedy KSB04, and the flywheel is another 150 or so Exedy FWSBL02FF... No downpipe etc. This is a 1k, 800 dollar job from a normal mechanic. The parts are dirt cheap. And exedy is oem, no?? Edited by Tehnation

Any other issues with your car, maybe spend it on something else? 1500-2k for clutch job seems like a waste of a 500 dollar discount. Its a pretty straight forward clutch job from any reputable mechanic. Edited by Tehnation

Forgot to add the gaskets and clips. But those should only be $60 at most. And yeah the exedy kit is $190 on Amazon last time I checked. I don't think the dealer uses the kits though which is why they upcharge even more. I have done a couple on 15+ wrx's and I take right around book time. Our cars are a different story. Rust is very time consuming. And we send the flywheels to the machine shop so we have to wait for that as well.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help guys, but I already gave the go-ahead, in fact the car is probably ready now. Would've had to tow it to another shop otherwise. All I can do now is bitch at them when I pick it up, using the info you've given me here as ammunition, and I guess threatening to make a complaint to SOA if they don't budge. Oh by the way, they gave me the quote before I mentioned the coupon.

Well, it's done. They wanted to charge me $728 for parts, $1328 for labor, minus $30 "Subaru parts discount", minus $80 "non-Subaru labor discount" (wonder what that means ?), plus sales tax (including on the labor).

The parts charge seems reasonable given what's been posted here (for OEM full-price). The labor is way high - they said it was 8hrs at $155/hour (which doesn't even quite compute). I pushed back and said "book" was 4.8-5.1 (based on what people have said here and at the other forum). Woman said she couldn't do anything, but I could keep loaner and we could try to work it out with manager; I was like "no, I want my car now". So she went and "talked to manager" and came back and said 6hrs labor was the best they could do. So I took it, paid $1326 out of pocket with my $500 goodwill coupon (which I got awhile back for bitching about sticky dashboard).

So I still kinda got screwed. This is a pretty expensive area, is the only justification. But I should've had it towed to an independent garage, like you guys said, and just bought the parts with the $500 coupon.

P.S. Flywheel they installed was 12310AA36A; is that SMFW or DMFW ?

Without looking it up they most likely put the DMFW on there. The local dealer I referenced earlier stated they wouldn't do anything but that DMFW and cited that as the reason for their high quote. Never went through with it myself but hey $1300 isn't to bad I wouldn't let it get you down in the dumps.