LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

yep, had to do that with my old outback(which i coincidentally traded in on the GT). sometimes, no matter how much you love the car, it just doesn't make sense to keep throwing money and time at it...always disappointing and leaves a hole in the heart, but what can ya do? time marches on.
That's exactly what I'm going through right now. My first car I've kept. I never saw letting it go but It's about 20 years old now.

It's got almost every mod I could put on it to make it a fun DD while the Legacy could sit.

I'm trying to sell it now I'm worried I can't even give it away for a decent price. The seats and brakes alone could ask 1000 for those but the car isn't worth more than 2700 tops.

Watching myself mod a 10 year old car and seeing guys bail on the platform definitely has my eyes open.

But there's nothing out there I really want. There's plenty cool cars I'd drive but when it comes down to cold cash, price, and longevity, I'm not considering a gas car.

Especially during Covid conditions. Drive ins are a whole new level in an ev with air-conditioning on, no bugs, and such.

I'm really looking at the Legacy as this is it. If this goes, I'll probably never own another manual modifiable car.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

But there's nothing out there I really want. There's plenty cool cars I'd drive but when it comes down to cold cash, price, and longevity, I'm not considering a gas car.

That's where I've been for a while. The Crosstrek is a great DD and very capable for my hobbies, but I don't have my eye on any enthusiast/driver's cars at the moment. That's weird to me as a car guy.

I had the 2010 Outback for 3 1/2 years and almost 3 years now with the GT.

I do think my next vehicle will be a Jeep of some kind. I haven’t had one since I bought the Outback. It makes more sense especially since we are moving to the country. At least, that’s how we will justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, a lot of them are approaching the 10 year mark. In New England that's usually the life span of a daily driver, unless you keep the car away from the winter roads lol.

Personally I think that number is closer 15 years in New England. My 2011 GT that I fixed the motor on didn't have much rust on the body or subframe. The average that a new car owners keeps a car is about 6.5 years, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

I may be moving on from the GT soon...sucks to have a whole bunch of parts on my shelf too.

Anyone have a stock Jpipe for a GT?

I still have your original J-pipe. I would like to keep it, but if your in a bind and can't find one, contact me.

I still have your original J-pipe. I would like to keep it, but if your in a bind and can't find one, contact me.
I appreciate that, I have leads on a couple. I'm trying to avoid selling/trading with the ecu married, since the AP likely would get "lost" somewhere along the line and put the next owner in a rough spot. So I figured back to stock made the most sense. My 2nd option was an open source tune, then sell the AP to cover that cost. I need to find my stock boost controller if I go back to stock.

Falcor consider a Toyota 4runner or lexus gx. All the offroad goods and reliability to back it up. I'm likely going for a gx460. The extra towing capacity and capability is what I'm after.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm really looking at the Legacy as this is it. If this goes, I'll probably never own another manual modifiable car.

So you wouldn't consider another manual at all in the future? Like for example: If you were able to get a fun car like a Dodge Demon, you wouldn't get it?

That's where I've been for a while. The Crosstrek is a great DD and very capable for my hobbies, but I don't have my eye on any enthusiast/driver's cars at the moment. That's weird to me as a car guy.

yeah...in my eyes everything's just gotten too expensive, too high horsepower, and too automatic. not to mention all of the infotainment and extra gadgetry on them. aside from a tune, it's not as easy to modify them and/or work on them as they were as little as 10 years ago. people want quiet luxury(and SUVs but that's a whole nother story) at this point, so all the fun weird random sporty cars are gone, so you're left with the brz/86 twins and miata, or you're spending corvette/porsche money and that's...a lot.

yeah...in my eyes everything's just gotten too expensive, too high horsepower, and too automatic. not to mention all of the infotainment and extra gadgetry on them. aside from a tune, it's not as easy to modify them and/or work on them as they were as little as 10 years ago. people want quiet luxury(and SUVs but that's a whole nother story) at this point, so all the fun weird random sporty cars are gone, so you're left with the brz/86 twins and miata, or you're spending corvette/porsche money and that's...a lot.
It seems to me the used market is as good as it's ever been for used performance cars. But the mechanical skills of the 80s and 90s now need to be supplemented with a healthy dose of electrical and computer skills. Cars have gotten more complex as the expectations of customers grew with the price of the cars offered. Luckily the internet houses nearly all the information one needs to work on newer vehicles, you just need to embrace technology.

Performance cars today are faster and more powerful than ever, on top of being quieter and more luxurious than their predecessor's could have dreamed of. Really it comes down to your personal desire to modify a platform. The parts and knowledge are out there.

So you wouldn't consider another manual at all in the future? Like for example: If you were able to get a fun car like a Dodge Demon, you wouldn't get it?

Those types of cars are intriguing, but it rains to much in Florida for a high horsepower RWD car. My legacy can take on most cars in the dry and nearly all of them in the rain a few exceptions of course. But those are few and far between.

I can't speak for Starks, but for me I like cars that are faster/quicker than they should be, that was one of the biggest pluses to the 5th gen platform. But the cost of taking it up a notch is just too high. I think if I was in a place in my life where a project car was a possibility, I would go for a rare model like the 1st gen tribeca and have at it with that platform. Twin turbo ez30, built sequential sti trans, airbag suspension, probably Haltech everything...and completely stock looking down to the quiet exhaust and working ac.

If it came at a killer price I'd be all over it and be willing to let the Legacy go.

I think my interpretation of the future is a little different than others. I work in transportation and my industry is very forward thinking in EVs and AVs.

So when I say future I'm thinking within the decade. So if I don't buy a project car in the next 5 -7 yearsish that may be it for a time. Covid hasn't impacted me much but it's got to be a killer deal for me to pick up a for fun toy. It's going to need some value.

Also what FLlegacy says about uniqueness too. That was most the reason I got the legacy. I love the oddness and rarity of it.

Edited by Starks

It seems to me the used market is as good as it's ever been for used performance cars. But the mechanical skills of the 80s and 90s now need to be supplemented with a healthy dose of electrical and computer skills. Cars have gotten more complex as the expectations of customers grew with the price of the cars offered. Luckily the internet houses nearly all the information one needs to work on newer vehicles, you just need to embrace technology.

yeah the computer and electrical parts are the issues for me...brain doesn't work that way. there's a bunch of pre-recession sporty cars, but they're all 10-15 years old, and since they were cheap weren't taken care of (looking at you srt-4, cobalt ss, saturn sky etc...), and the ones that were taken care of are expensive since they're becoming collector's items(see 1998 civic SI selling for 50k....). i know i'm missing the obvious high performance cars like the camaro and mustang, but eh they just don't tickle my fancy.

yeah the computer and electrical parts are the issues for me...brain doesn't work that way. there's a bunch of pre-recession sporty cars, but they're all 10-15 years old, and since they were cheap weren't taken care of (looking at you srt-4, cobalt ss, saturn sky etc...), and the ones that were taken care of are expensive since they're becoming collector's items(see 1998 civic SI selling for 50k....). i know i'm missing the obvious high performance cars like the camaro and mustang, but eh they just don't tickle my fancy.
You should be looking at C4/C5 corvettes, maybe dodge viper, tuner cars from the 90s early 2000s were terrible quality except for a select few. Follow the advice of Ed Bolian, find a terrible example of a good car and be a shrewd negotiator. If its a project it only needs to be solid, not spectacular.

you're certainly right on those cars being junk, but the nostalgia factor and always wanting them when I was going through high school and college is in those cars. saturn ion redline? sign me up. sentra SE-R spec v? yes please. the dirty things i'd do for another mkiv gti that's not dogged with 200k miles for a reasonable price... but at this point they're all ratty to the point of not being cost effective to restore, or overpriced. my 5-10 year plan is to move on to a 2nd gen cayman S, which will probably change, but that's what i'm aiming for, and i'll probably land on a c6 corvette

you're certainly right on those cars being junk, but the nostalgia factor and always wanting them when I was going through high school and college is in those cars. saturn ion redline? sign me up. sentra SE-R spec v? yes please. the dirty things i'd do for another mkiv gti that's not dogged with 200k miles for a reasonable price... but at this point they're all ratty to the point of not being cost effective to restore, or overpriced. my 5-10 year plan is to move on to a 2nd gen cayman S, which will probably change, but that's what i'm aiming for, and i'll probably land on a c6 corvette
Haha yeah you nailed it. I think it was the want of something I couldn't quite have at the time and progress towards something similar to that.

The legacy interest came at a time where a guy from a niche parts manufacturer from my old Lancer platform moved on to the 4th gen legacy.

I took a look at the 5th gens and fell in love. I loved everything about the look. That was my next aspiration.

Yeah, no new car made my heart beat yet. Guess I have to wait [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you were able to get a fun car like a Dodge Demon, you wouldn't get it?

Demons were Auto only, I think you mean Challenger Hellcats. Their still are options for going fast, if you have deep pockets.

Performance cars today are faster and more powerful than ever, on top of being quieter and more luxurious than their predecessor's could have dreamed of. Really it comes down to your personal desire to modify a platform. The parts and knowledge are out there.

I agree today's car are faster and more powerful. If you wanted a car that ran 12's in the 1/4 mile in the 90's, you had to build it. Today, you can buy a 12, 11 or even 10 sec car.

You should be looking at C4/C5 corvettes, maybe dodge viper, tuner cars from the 90s early 2000s were terrible quality except for a select few.

The 90's Japanese tuner cars worth modifying have all gone through the roof in-terms of value. Even the 2000's Evo, S2000 and STI have all gotten expensive. I had a C4 that I modified, I would pass on the C4. The LS1 stuff is much nicer and has a lot more potential. A 450hp SBC is going to be full build on stroker engine if you want it to have good street manner. A LS1 can do that with basically a cam, header swap and a tune.

I have a different take on today cars. I built a couple cars to be faster and lost a bunch of money on mods and the time I spent installing them. I learned a bunch, but I don't want to do that anymore. If I want a faster car other than a few simple mods, I will just buy a faster one. You spent $10k on C5, put another $7500, changing the heads, headers, cam, etc getting it tuned. It probably still won't be as fast as a stock C6 Z06. A stock C6 will be worth more than modified C5. A Tribeca with forced induction H6, STI, Brembo's etc will be a money pit that will be difficult to get any money out of. (Likely need to be parted out) It probably will take a bunch of research, learning, trial and errors along the way to make that a drivable vehicle.

A Tribeca with forced induction H6, STI, Brembo's etc will be a money pit that will be difficult to get any money out of. (Likely need to be parted out) It probably will take a bunch of research, learning, trial and errors along the way to make that a drivable vehicle.

Lol, you hit nail on the head there, and that is why it hasn't happened. We have a first gen Tribeca and I love the unique look. It honestly wouldn't be that hard, getting someone to tune it with a standalone would be the hard part. Everything else would bolt in just about, it is a Subaru after all. But I would be just flushing all that money and time away, no denying that. Maybe I will get back into the RC hobby the kids would love that.

63k on mine and I've been thinking maybe now is the time to sell. The car is solid mechanically and rust is just starting to show. Wife and I are still working from home so could easily go down to one daily driver while I figure out what to buy next. I have a C6 for fun and during the summer I'm driving that every chance I get anyway.

Not sure what to get next though. Kinda like the Scat Pack Charger, Stinger, and all those other types of sport sedans. Then I start thinking I wouldn't mind a truck - really liking the looks and mileage of the 3.0 Duramax Sierra. Or a used Trackhawk. I'm all over the place haha.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Then I start thinking I wouldn't mind a truck - really liking the looks and mileage of the 3.0 Duramax Sierra. Or a used Trackhawk. I'm all over the place haha.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If I recall the rust was on one of the rear fenders of your car right? I've been searching for trucks in addition to a crap ton of other cars, and at my budget it's been tough to find a truck that is either low mileage, or not beat up.

Not to change the mood here to a more serious note. Reach out to some people you haven't in a while. Since this whole covid crap has started 9 suicides have been happened amongst mutual friends. Lots of people need help with finances, kids, and simply having a home with the loss of wages. Not sure if that's the motivating factor to reasons why some did what they did but dam it's unsettling.

Helped a customer for the last 6'ish years. Not someone I knew very personally but enough to have a casual chat every 3-4months when visiting my store to at least care how they were doing. She committed suicide early part of July and I just found out Wednesday. Had to help her mother in law get a phone for her son because he needed a means to communicate to his counselor.

Then today helped a retired police officer and one way or another stressors of this came up and he mentioned suicide. "The unhappiest people suddenly become more happy soon before they do it," he said. Which makes sense when you think about it. Four of the people I knew always seemed drained or no motivated. Then the last time I saw them seemed in good spirits and turned the corner. Making a positive note on things. Then within a few weeks passed away. It's like they knew there now was no more to worry about. That it would all be gone.

Just please consider this as a quick check up on everyone. ******* nightmare'ish to know what some of us may be struggling with right now because of no job, food, home, or money. Bro hugs here for everyone.

Not to change the mood here to a more serious note. Reach out to some people you haven't in a while. Since this whole covid crap has started 9 suicides have been happened amongst mutual friends. Lots of people need help with finances, kids, and simply having a home with the loss of wages. Not sure if that's the motivating factor to reasons why some did what they did but dam it's unsettling.

Helped a customer for the last 6'ish years. Not someone I knew very personally but enough to have a casual chat every 3-4months when visiting my store to at least care how they were doing. She committed suicide early part of July and I just found out Wednesday. Had to help her mother in law get a phone for her son because he needed a means to communicate to his counselor.

Then today helped a retired police officer and one way or another stressors of this came up and he mentioned suicide. "The unhappiest people suddenly become more happy soon before they do it," he said. Which makes sense when you think about it. Four of the people I knew always seemed drained or no motivated. Then the last time I saw them seemed in good spirits and turned the corner. Making a positive note on things. Then within a few weeks passed away. It's like they knew there now was no more to worry about. That it would all be gone.

Just please consider this as a quick check up on everyone. ******* nightmare'ish to know what some of us may be struggling with right now because of no job, food, home, or money. Bro hugs here for everyone.

Sadly you nailed it. The CDC director even admitted there have been more suicides than deaths from Covid, which blew my mind. Luckily I've been hanging out with and talking to my friends. The only thing that sucks is that I haven't been able to visit my dad in the nursing home for months. The day before I was supposed to visit in April, the governor of MA shut the nursing homes down. I had to talk to my dad on the phone on Father's day and man, I felt so bad. It was one of the few times I got emotional, and my body felt like it shut down for the rest of the day. The problem I have is that the only way I can even hear what my dad says and talk to him is if I am on the side of his bed, and the current restricitions are insane. Crazy enough, I had a dream the other day that me and him were working on his truck that has currently been sitting for almost 3 years since he had his stroke. My dream also happened on the street I grew up on (where my dad lived prior to the stroke). I have been thinking of trying to get it back up and running, but it's tough to get my dad to give me the title since his head is a bit messed up from the stroke. That truck is very sentimental to me, especially since it is a 2002, the same year I was born. I dunno, I know I am rambling but oh well it's kind of like therapy :wub:.

The only thing that sucks is that I haven't been able to visit my dad in the nursing home for months. The day before I was supposed to visit in April, the governor of MA shut the nursing homes down. I had to talk to my dad on the phone on Father's day and man, I felt so bad. It was one of the few times I got emotional, and my body felt like it shut down for the rest of the day. The problem I have is that the only way I can even hear what my dad says and talk to him is if I am on the side of his bed, and the current restricitions are insane.

Given your age, it seems like your Dad had a serious stroke at a relatively young age. So sad to hear.

Given your age, it seems like your Dad had a serious stroke at a relatively young age. So sad to hear.

Yup, he was 62 when it happened. It happened on the same day I passed my driver's ed classes. I texted him hours before it happened... He used to smoke since he was 10, and i'm sure all the medications he was taking for his body didn't help either. He beat his body up for over 30 years doing things like painting and puting down floors and carpets. He even told me that he fell off a roof before, which is mind blowing. I essentially watched him start to struggle as I got a bit older. I knew he needed help when he couldn't even go upstairs since it was too much for his knees. He's now 65 and he partially recovered, but he lost a lot of things such as his home and others. He didn't lose the family though, we've been there every step of the way.

Well I just verbally accepted an offer on the LGT. We do the exchange tomorrow after work, so of course I'm driving her to work. I'm a little surprised at the emotions it brings up. She's been a very good car through a lot of very different situations.

OLYykwb

CXG6zUT