LegacyGT.com

Brake Pad needs Computer Reset??

SHORT VERSION: Is there a computer that needs to be reset when I change my brake pads?

I recently got new tires installed and was told that my brakes need to also be replaced and was asked if I wanted the mechanic to replace the brakes. Having replaced brakes on my previous car, I declined and said I'd handle it myself as I'd done with my previous car. Immediately the mechanic said "You do know that you need to reset the computer when you install new brakes, right?"

I ignored the statement continued walking, with the mindset that mechanics (at chain stores) will often say anything to get customers to agree to additional work they don't necessarily need or can easily do at home.

I've NEVER heard of a computer needing to be reset when replacing brake pads. Is this true with Subaru's? Specifically a 2015 Legacy. This will be my first time changing the brake pads on this brand of vehicle and would rather know before I start taking off wheels and unhinging calibers.

I would avoid that shop in the future. My $.02

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I avoid them to begin with. The only reason I was there was to have tired I purchased online mounted. Beyond that, I buy materials and install them myself.

But as I said, this will be my first time swapping the brake pads on a Subaru and wanted to be sure before I got myself into any trouble.

Thanks for the insight guys.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe he confused your car with a BMW or Benz :lol:

exactly. Subarus aren't there yet and hopefully win't be for a long time. You can still change battery and fluid in tranny and rear diff without telling ECU about it (and paying dealer to do that).

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Well I just got my brakes pads replaced. The front brakes were incredibly easy. The rear brakes were a different story.

The rear brakes of the 2015 Legacy are electronic. After taking the wheel off, me and a friend wrestled with the calibers and braking system with practically no avail. Not wanting to break anything, we reassembled everything, put the wheel back on, and took the car to a local family mechanic.

Long story short, he connected an ODB computer to the car and electronically released the pistons before changing the brake pads.

I told the mechanic the story I had a couple of weeks earlier. While he understood my skepticism, and said that the guy was correct in this specific case. The '15 Subaru's rear brakes are electronic. And while you can muscle them open, he said it was not a good idea as it was easy to cause confusion within the computer and possibly break the electronic component.

To prove the point, he reassembled everything and tried to prime the brakes as we originally did with the front wheels -- fully depressing the brakes. He then put the key in and turned on the ignition and practically ALL the lights on the dash lit up. He then connected the OBD computer to the car and the car gave a generic C1984 code. While the brakes were working, the dash was lit up AND apparently the parking brake became nonfunctioning.

The mechanic then used the OBD to electronically reset the rear brake system, and like magic all the lights went off and the parking brake began to work once more.

This is one of those cases where the computer isn't necessary, but it's definitely recommended for fewer potential headaches.

Side note: I did leave a negative review for the chain store I originally had mount my tires. After discovering they were correct, I redacted my negative review and replaced it with a more neutral review. While the guy's delivery could have been better, he ultimately was correct.

This is the problem with many mechanics at chain stores. They're always trying to sale the customer on work and service he may not necessarily need that when the customer actually needs something, the customer has become so accustomed to discounting the information with the assumption that the worker is just trying to get a sale.

His wording was wrong. Reset no, put into service mode, yes. I forgot which year they started doing that. I haven't seen the guts but I believe the E-brake part is threaded while the actual piston for the brakes is not. Some cars have the screw in piston that doubles as the e-brake. When its put into service mode you hear the caliper motor run. It compresses like a normal caliper. Also, you have to take it out of service mode when you're done and dont forget a battery charger since you leave the key on during the brake job.

• 10 months later...
so what is the final verdict, is it possible to change the rear brakes at home or no more? I have an OBD scanner and can read codes and delete codes from the car's computer, but do not know if my scanner can send 'service mode' signals to the car.

so what is the final verdict, is it possible to change the rear brakes at home or no more? I have an OBD scanner and can read codes and delete codes from the car's computer, but do not know if my scanner can send 'service mode' signals to the car.

Once all was said and done, it's my understanding that the rear brakes should to be set to "service mode".

While you can swap out the rear pads without doing this, there's a good chance that once you're complete and you'll be met with a ABS, Parking Brake, and check engine light. In my experience, the vehicle was fully functioning, but the lights on the dash were quite intimidating.

No one wants to worry about their brakes failing, so do yourself a favor and make sure you can put the rear brakes into "Service Mode" before you start swapping those out.

In my experience, replacing the front brakes did not require this.

SHORT VERSION: Is there a computer that needs to be reset when I change my brake pads?

Still no. The dealer or a service shop can use the Subaru-specific SSM scan tool to facilitate rear brake pad replacement, but it's not required. The alternative (i.e. no scan tool) procedure is described in detail in the Factory Service Manual.

I told the mechanic the story I had a couple of weeks earlier. While he understood my skepticism, and said that the guy was correct in this specific case. The '15 Subaru's rear brakes are electronic. And while you can muscle them open, he said it was not a good idea as it was easy to cause confusion within the computer and possibly break the electronic component.

Not quite correct. If a mechanic uses the Subaru-specific SSM scan tool to put the brake system in Service Mode, then it must be used to take the brakes back out of Service Mode when completed. That is all.

so what is the final verdict, is it possible to change the rear brakes at home or no more?

Still yes; not only is it possible, many have already done it. Step 1 is to invest $35 and download a legal copy of the FSM (and a whole lot more) from the Subaru Technical Information System web site.

... you leave the key on during the brake job.

No. The general sequence of operations using the Subaru SSM tool is:

1. Use the SSM tool to put the brake system in Service Mode.
  2. Disconnect the battery.
  3. Replace the rear brake pads.
  4. Reconnect the battery.
  5. Use the SSM tool to take the system out of Service Mode.

Point is, you don't want the Electronic Parking Brake to activate unexpectedly while you're messing with the rear calipers ... regardless of whether you're using the SSM tool or not.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png