LegacyGT.com

Needed some opinions on getting newer subaru

I have my 97 lgt still, but am on the verge of buying a newer subaru. I love my car but want something newer especially more roadtrip worthy. I have my sights on a clean 07 legacy 2.5i and was wondering if it will be a satisfying car coming from the 97lgt, and if anyone has any experience with them? I would just get a newer gt but I'm not into having to put in premium gas in it so I figured 2.5i is closest to my current car.

I know this may not be the most approprate section but, t it's the only furum I'm on . Thank you

My buddy has an 08 NA Legacy that I work on and drive a lot, they are pretty decent and the issues they have are pretty similar to my 96 so for me, there is no a new car sensation when driving it, it just feels like the same car with a different body. I've been eyeballing a 06 LGT because I am tired of having so little power, even the 4th gen NA cars are under powered in my opinion. The seats also kind of suck for road trips, that'd be the first thing I'd replace if/when I get one. They're just too flat and firm.

Also I don't know about prices in your area but he paid $14k for a one owner car with 67k on it, that is too high for NAs, most in this area go for 6-10k and the clunkers go for less than $2k

That's good to know about the seats, if they're real bad that worrys me.I suppose there is always seat cushions for road trips. I think my main worry is just reliability. My 97 has pulled through but has had hard life and it would be nice having one that didn't start it's life as a farm car. The one i found is real clean with 100k miles and the person only wants 6k for it so I feel like it a a pretty fair deal compared to the others that have caught my eye. Edited by brokentv

Yeah I'd definitely go look at it if I were you, sounds like a good deal already. I think they are prone to early failure of parts though. My buddy has had to do both CV axles, both O2 sensors, all the tie rods, the exhaust fell apart, he got the airbags replaced because Takata recall, the dash got replaced because of it getting sticky in heat, his car eats brakes, and leaks oil as bad as mine used to, and his car is currently at 82k

Remember, even the 4th gen had HG issues, so make sure that he has documentation that the HG was replaced. If not, plan accordingly and you might want to consider having it and the timing hardware done at the same time. If no documentation of a HG repair and it's never been done, I'd chop at least $1k off of the price. 100-150k miles is usually when they go.

I just scored a 07 outback 2.5i for $2300... has high miles though. If it has HG issues still worth it. 220k miles lol.

Ill let you know how it drives when I pick it up :p Never letting go of my 98 though!

• 2 years later...
That's aawesome. I ended up getting a 2013 legacy and for road trips it is fantastic. Very comfortable seats and it cruises at free way speeds very nicely. At 150000 not head gasket issues either. Supposedly the fb engine doesn't have them. Although I like the cvt the noises it makes is questionable lol I'm afraid it may end up being this cars demise but we'll see

That's aawesome. I ended up getting a 2013 legacy and for road trips it is fantastic. Very comfortable seats and it cruises at free way speeds very nicely. At 150000 not head gasket issues either. Supposedly the fb engine doesn't have them. Although I like the cvt the noises it makes is questionable lol I'm afraid it may end up being this cars demise but we'll see

Nice! I don't know if that CVT was one of the ones that uses a chain CVT which would in theory make it much more durable then the standard band CVT but only time will tell.