LegacyGT.com

2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i HID Retrofit

Finally finished my retrofit this evening/morning/whatever time it is I don't even know:lol:

Super time consuming to say the least. I was starting to question whether or not it was worth it...until I took it out for a spin and holy crap it's amazing!!:wub: The output is phenomenal, and when I kick on the high beams it's like daylight. And to think I didn't even have the Hellas going yet as they still need re-aimed. All in all very happy with it.

IMG_1177.thumb.jpg.5e8a1a8793e0d85fbe4c2bf0dc60f13a.jpg

IMG_1186.thumb.jpg.a8e95929732ff1d72faa1de8fa67b1e3.jpg

Proper HID projectors do a much better job focusing light from HID bulbs, and the bi-xenon is a huge plus, the OEM HID projectors should have the bi-xenon function also, but they don't.

Having done this retrofit, do you agree that you really don't need a dual projector set up for high beam visibility?

My quandry with WRX retrofit and my current car is that the high beam halogen light color is yellowish, vs the 5500k pure white of the HID bulbs.

However, as you move up the light color spectrum from Halogen temp 3000k up into HID temps 5000k+, light output actually diminishes, slightly, so I have decided in both cars to leave it as is.

Proper HID projectors do a much better job focusing light from HID bulbs, and the bi-xenon is a huge plus, the OEM HID projectors should have the bi-xenon function also, but they don't.

Having done this retrofit, do you agree that you really don't need a dual projector set up for high beam visibility?

My quandry with WRX retrofit and my current car is that the high beam halogen light color is yellowish, vs the 5500k pure white of the HID bulbs.

However, as you move up the light color spectrum from Halogen temp 3000k up into HID temps 5000k+, light output actually diminishes, slightly, so I have decided in both cars to leave it as is.

From this point on I'm set on have bi-xenons on every car lol.

Yeah dual projectors would be just overkill, not to mention it doesn't look right having a projector mounted in our high beam location. At this point I don't even need my Hellas but I still plan on using them just because I can:lol:

I went with 4300k because of that, the whiter light creates too much glare in inclement weather. Plus I prefer the OEM look.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took some output pics the other night. Manually set ISO and shutter speed for an accurate comparison. Hellas were turned off.

Low beam RX350 projector:

http://i.imgur.com/woPWnHw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WBha29n.jpg

Low beam RX350 + Diode Dynamics LED projector fog:

http://i.imgur.com/QqYBduY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DDihGeF.jpg

High beam RX350 + original high beam:

http://i.imgur.com/4NHT4MX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LMLaXqS.jpg

• 2 months later...
Hi,

I have a 5th gen legacy with halogen projector (2010). I saw your reply in another post stating that the RX330 non-AFS and RX350 non-AFS is drop-in (with dremel to fit the solenoid). I contacted TRS and they said that the non-AFS do not fit the housing. I am very confused. Would you be able to help clarify? Thanks!

Well the 5th gen totally a different headlight housing you can't really reference it from this thread.

From this point on I'm set on have bi-xenons on every car lol.

Yeah dual projectors would be just overkill, not to mention it doesn't look right having a projector mounted in our high beam location. At this point I don't even need my Hellas but I still plan on using them just because I can:lol:

I went with 4300k because of that, the whiter light creates too much glare in inclement weather. Plus I prefer the OEM look.

Yea, once you go RX350 bi-xenon it's hard to go back. I did a quad retro on spare parts I have on hand after this project on my daily SUV. MH1 + Maxima Black Series run 35w on them, so dim, boost it up to 55w. Still not as bright and wide as my RX350 retro at 35w.

Pretty cool using the box as an oven also. Did you leave the flaps open or close them with the heat gun inside the box? Love the blue color!

I didn't leave the heat gun in the box, I try to use my hand hold the flap in place and hold the heat gun move it around pointing at the opening of the box not pointing at any part of the headlight will melt it within seconds. So you'll have to keep moving the heat gun around to get the inside of the box to heat up evenly.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

• 2 years later...
If so how do you get to the bulb to replace it?

Why do you want to replace it? The capsule itself is an industry-standard D4S type. You have to remove a cover plate on the headlight housing to access it. While rare, the capsule itself can fail, or it could be that the electronic ballast for that capsule has failed.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Has any replace the factory Low Beam HID bulb with an aftermarket one? If so how do you get to the bulb to replace it?

This might get better response as its own thread, since this thread is about replacing the halogen projector with either an aftermarket HID projector (eg Morimoto Mini D2S) or a HID projector from a different vehicle (eg RX350 non-AFS). I can tell you that replacing those D2S bulbs is quite easy, they just come out the back of the projector.

I replaced mine from stock. 5 minute job. I believe the rear covers come off clockwise if I remember.

I like the OSRAM XENARC 66440's better for visibility, (mine), in rain.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

• 4 months later...

For as long as I’ve been on this forum (which, really, isn’t log by any means), never have I ever stumbled upon this thread – and it was one of the first things I looked for info on once I got my ‘15 Legacy. Someone on FB linked this thread earlier today in my searches lol

This is AMAZING work, by all of y’all that have taken on the task of the retro. I’ve done a few years ago with pretty much every Honda I had before, and plan to do it with my current Accord and my Legacy! Sucks because this is probably the only thread anywhere of someone doing it on a ‘15 Leg. But I’m definitely gonna be using this as a guide. Thank you for sharing!!!!