LegacyGT.com

2005 Cruise Control

I've had my 2005 Legacy since 2009 and the cruise control has never worked properly. I set it to CC then, after a few seconds or so, it goes out of CC. I hit resume, but that doesn't last long. Anyone else encounter this or know what the issue is?

Is it auto or manual?

If manual, check 3 things:

1. NSS (neutral safety switch) in side of transmission (replace with less thick copper washer)

2. Clutch switch clearance (should be zero)

3. Brake pedal switch clearance (should be 0.3mm)

If you hold the shift lever firmly in a gear and the cruise stays on, it is most likely the NSS.

Find out which front wheel bearing was replaced with one of the ones we know will give that problem.

There are only a few hub's that will work on these cars. JmP's sticky, up top, has a post on which ones to buy.

OEM is one. Timken's work too. and a couple others. I have a Timkem in the shed that I got off Amazon, for when one of my cars needs one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is it auto or manual?

If manual, check 3 things:

1. NSS (neutral safety switch) in side of transmission (replace with less thick copper washer)

2. Clutch switch clearance (should be zero)

3. Brake pedal switch clearance (should be 0.3mm)

If you hold the shift lever firmly in a gear and the cruise stays on, it is most likely the NSS.

My car (2005 LGT Wagon w/manual and cruise control) has a cruise control; which works just fine. If it ever dies I will probably not fix it.

I have a different problem you might solve. About every 100th time I try to start the car, nothing happens. I release the clutch and repeat the procedure and it starts. I figure it's that switch on the clutch pedal having a very intermittent failure. I look up the replacement part and find there's neutral safety switch also. I verified that manual transmission cars have both switches, but I'm thinking the clutch pedal switch is probably the offending part. Agree? The replacement is only $18 so what the hell, That's Autozone, not Subaru pricing.

So why would Subaru use two switches for what I see as having the same function? And if my luck is no good, where on the transmission case is the neutral safety switch located?

Many thanks. I know if the switch chooses to fail completely it will be in the dark on a cold night.

My car (2005 LGT Wagon w/manual and cruise control) has a cruise control; which works just fine. If it ever dies I will probably not fix it.

I have a different problem you might solve. About every 100th time I try to start the car, nothing happens. I release the clutch and repeat the procedure and it starts. I figure it's that switch on the clutch pedal having a very intermittent failure. I look up the replacement part and find there's neutral safety switch also. I verified that manual transmission cars have both switches, but I'm thinking the clutch pedal switch is probably the offending part. Agree? The replacement is only $18 so what the hell, That's Autozone, not Subaru pricing.

So why would Subaru use two switches for what I see as having the same function? And if my luck is no good, where on the transmission case is the neutral safety switch located?

Many thanks. I know if the switch chooses to fail completely it will be in the dark on a cold night.

The two switches perform separate functions. The NSS determines whether the car is in gear or not while the CS determines whether the clutch pedal is depressed.

Check the CS first. I bet there is even a test in the FSM.

The two switches perform separate functions. The NSS determines whether the car is in gear or not while the CS determines whether the clutch pedal is depressed.

Check the CS first. I bet there is even a test in the FSM.

The Haynes manual shows a test for the CS but it'll only come up when the switch is bad. Unfortunately that's not the case all the time. Why is the NSS only on manual gearbox cars with cruise control? Does cruise control need to know the car is in gear? I guess it would like to know....cruise is useless in neutral.

And for $18 replacing the CS might be the way to go. In keeping with Subaru's zero landfill policy, the old switch will be in the replacement switch box in my glovebox....just in case.

The Haynes manual shows a test for the CS but it'll only come up when the switch is bad. Unfortunately that's not the case all the time. Why is the NSS only on manual gearbox cars with cruise control? Does cruise control need to know the car is in gear? I guess it would like to know....cruise is useless in neutral.

And for $18 replacing the CS might be the way to go. In keeping with Subaru's zero landfill policy, the old switch will be in the replacement switch box in my glovebox....just in case.

NSS is on manual cars because if your cruise is on and the car is in neutral then the engine would go boom. Obviously it won't due to NSS. I really believe most people's issues are due to improper clearance of CS and then the NSS washer thickness issues.

Archived