LegacyGT.com

What tool for removing fuel lines?

Remove them from the shock tower on the fender with a screw driver, much easier.

[ATTACH]272204[/ATTACH]

I recommended that until I got the tool. Much easier to just disconnect them with the tool rather than muscle these hoses off the FPR.

The tool will not work on all sides of the line, especially by the strut tower, where Subaru decided to put a barb in the line, which makes it impossible to use the tool.

Now days I simply use two plastic zipties. The clamp only clamps down in two spots, just figure out where it is, and insert the two zipties (thin end of course) into those spots and you're good to go.

EDIT: What I meant is, I use two zipties to release the clamp...

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

The tool will not work on all sides of the line, especially by the strut tower, where Subaru decided to put a barb in the line, which makes it impossible to use the tool.

Now days I simply use two plastic zipties. The clamp only clamps down in two spots, just figure out where it is, and insert the two zipties (thin end of course) into those spots and you're good to go.

I have a plastic version of the tool, you can use it at the strut tower if you sand the corner off so that you can get it in behind the connector. I've used it successfully for all the quick connects in the engine bay.

Zip ties are used to compress the two clips that hold the QD in place. You can also try using the cap off of a Sharpie marker. Clip off the pocket clip, cut off the closed end, and slit it up the side and then put it over the line and push into the QD. I've done that many times (at other people's houses), even though I have to correct tools at my house.

That's good to know. Thank you all!

I will try the zip ties trick today, else the picks, else the strut tower.

I watched a video by Freddie at Poor Man Mods, but he has an '06 and I noticed they are slightly different.

Apexi, thanks for the link to the video! That will help immensely.

Fuel lines held by zipties? That's bit of a Russian roulette to me.... sorry, could not resist.

:lol: I should have reworded that sentance.

If I understand correctly, I think covertrussian means using zip ties instead of picks as shown in the video below?

You got it, zipties wont damage the clamp like metal picks might.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Yea, but like most the screw driver I have is free. I think it took a little longer to remove the lines, then it took to type all this.

OP, make sure you relief fuel pressure before you remove the hoses.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Update:

The zip ties worked for me as well.

I cut one in half and used the ends to insert and press down on the inner tabs and was able to release the hoses.

The top hose (fuel delivery) was the easiest to disconnect.

The bottom hose (fuel return) needed a little finagling to get the zip ties in place and down far enough to press on the inner tabs. I used some narrow needle nose pliers to push down on the zip ties.

01.thumb.jpg.7a49c6e3d744bf84fad206a716258f46.jpg

02.thumb.jpg.bea130600ae623fde2238ef6c976bab9.jpg

03.thumb.jpg.c2a92eca9a5fb717f6a1d38d5a27ddd2.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.1a7da3ad84ff9596d3777b0410a4a50e.jpg

Archived