LegacyGT.com

welp.... winter is back and car is not running right again

***RESOLVED NEW INTAKE GASKETS***

Lol 3 years now that I have had this car in the winter and the following happens

1. car runs rough

2. car runs rich

3. hesitation

4. slow to warm up

5. higher than normal RPM even what car is in normal operating temp range

Things that have been replaced

1.MAF

2. Supposedly the T-stat

2. front O2 sensor

I need a Subaru tech to walk me through some things I need to be looking for while the car is cold and warming up...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frustrating I’m sure. I’ve heard that the RPMs will stay elevated until CVT oil reaches ~160 degrees which takes a looooong time in the cold.

Wonder if you have a cracked vacuum line fitting that only leaks under certain temps. (Like my bugeye wrx that had a fuel leak only when the fittings/hoses were under ~20 degrees.)

Do you have winter fuel where you are?

Yes, we do

Frustrating I’m sure. I’ve heard that the RPMs will stay elevated until CVT oil reaches ~160 degrees which takes a looooong time in the cold.

Wonder if you have a cracked vacuum line fitting that only leaks under certain temps. (Like my bugeye wrx that had a fuel leak only when the fittings/hoses were under ~20 degrees.)

I override the car by using the paddles/shifter and locking it into the ratio I want when the coolant temp gets to 170ish.

One thing odd that I saw is EGR never moved off of 0% when driving....

You seeing any knock events, or hearing any pinging? A stuck EGR valve could potentially cause the issues you're seeing, I suppose. I don't have one to tell you where to look or how to test it, but I'd imagine it should be easy enough to see if it's stuck closed (once you get to it, at least).

IIRC you have the ability to datalog your ecm. You should be able to determine from your logs on whether the thermostat is working properly. The coolant temperature after 10-15 minutes should be around the thermostat temperature.

You said the engine runs rich, it is normal the 1st couple minutes that it runs rich. What does the long term fuel trim look like when its running rich?

Your car had some coolant overflow issue/heat and their was a question on wether or not the head gasket was blown (leaking). Has any of those symptom persisted?

Define winter where you live?

It is not uncommon for a new thermostat to be bad. It is also not uncommon for people to put the wrong temp thermostat in as well. I would start there as it s a "supposedly" but as dgoodhue said, data logs would be very helpful to monitor what is going on, but you are working on that. How old is your battery? I just replaced mine last night ans noticed a difference in starting and headlight brightness and that was with a Group 25 replacement.

Well that is cold. So does it stumble as your coming to a stop or after you have fully stopped? Is the tach dropping in rpms and st stumbling to catch idle and over a few seconds it stabilizes some and then smooths out?

What you describe sound like a vacuum leak, a bad PCV valve, or EGR leak/issues.

Also, winter fuel is proven to get worse fuel economy, but I don't think that's your problem.

well the stumbling issue remains, it flashed the CEL a few times and then it was fine. No codes stored in the system so....but fuel mileage and cold weather operation are better than before.

BTSSM still will not connect to the ECM so that software is a big fat bust and not worth the $15 I paid for it. All other OBDII readers I have work just fine with the Linx adapter

well the stumbling issue remains, it flashed the CEL a few times and then it was fine. No codes stored in the system so....but fuel mileage and cold weather operation are better than before.

BTSSM still will not connect to the ECM so that software is a big fat bust and not worth the $15 I paid for it. All other OBDII readers I have work just fine with the Linx adapter

Btssm works with just a basic VAG-com cable on mine. Data logs everything I need.

Should be supported for link lx on k-line. Shoot an email to developer. Quick to respond if you need help from my experience.

connected up to car this morning drive to work and of course it runs fine. did notice that commanded EGR still never changes from 0% which is odd even after engine has fully warmed up

Commanded EGR -- Tells you what the PCM is commanding the EGR valve to do.

The percentage value should be 0% when EGR is commanded off (at idle), 100% when EGR is commanded on (typically when cruising under light load), and between 0% and 100% is the EGR solenoid is duty cycled on and off by the PCM (depending on vehicle speed, engine load and temperature).

The EGR being isn't going to cause your low mpg or stumble. The EGR maybe help your fuel economy by 1 mpg. It is probably being commanded less for the cold temperature as EGR lowers cylinder temperatures and reintroduces unburnt fuel to the combustion chamber.

well until I get this OBDLinx issue fixed, I am not going to be able to get the data I want from the car... I will have to go dig up my VAG cable and see if that will work but BTSSM does not have a windows client...

I run it on android mobile with an adapter

my S8 should be able to handle it with a USB-C to USB A adapter, but I has to find cables.

have an e-mail out to OBDLinx due to unit spamming connect messages, waiting for reply. Once I have that sorted out, will get with BTSSM if needed.

Archived