LegacyGT.com

HID's cut off on the highway!

spartan

I have had my 6000k HID kit that I bought from a vendor on this site about a year ago. Last night when leaving work, I went to turn on the lights and they did not fire. I turned the switch off and back on, and they lighted up fine. About 10 minutes later I am now traveling on the highway, and the lights cut off and will not come back on, so I am driving 70 mph with no headlights! I slowed down and tried to turn them off and on with no luck.

What should I investigate to be the culprit? I have already sent an email to the vendor, but would like to solve the issue tonight if possible, I do still have the stock bulbs, so if I can't figure out the issue I will just put them back in.

If you're using a wiring harness, check it, including the relay.

The other part of the troubleshooting you're thinking about already - does your factory incandescents still work?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Well....was it a cheap kit?? that could be your culprit?

^ These days, price is almost irrelevant. :)

Not saying this to be a jerk - please note smiley, which I genuinely mean. :)

Then again, there's definitely the case to be made for spending more for true OEM take-offs.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

For sure OEM is the best route! but cheap 89 buck HID kits like the DDM have about a 50% fail rate. Lots of people including myslef had perfect function for about 1 year and then problems begin. If one can diagnose the faulty parts and dont mind the hassle of replacing them then cheap kits are a good value. I changed to the Extreme HID kit which is still just a KIT but advertised as one of the best kits. Hopefully for 200 bucks my reliability go's farther...well at least twice as far as the 89 dollar kit

^ Exactly - it's just "cheap" in general. The problem is that as consumers, it's nearly impossible for us to figure out the source/supply side of the equation. Unless you go with OEM take-offs, there's simply no way to know, for certain.

The DDMs are no longer $90 - they're now in the $30 range.

As for failure rates, what we have to remember is that we're an enthusiast community. As-such, any type of community "statistics" is biased to start off with, to say nothing of the fact that people specifically come to such communities to voice their displeasure and/or to obtain technical know-how outside the realm of Vendors, resellers, retailers, and even manufacturers. ;)

^ Use Google to search for "DDM Tuning" - once you're there, look at the "Raptor" kit. An extra ten bucks (to $40) bumps you to the "slim" ballast variant, which makes tucking away the ballast a nearly mindless task.

----

Just wanted to update this thread to say that it was the relay that was bad, had a new one in my hand in 3 days.

^ spartan, I'd want to investigate what caused the relay to fail - and first and foremost, I'd look at placement: is it by a moisture-prone/possible location? how about heat?

I'd also start carrying a spare relay, just-in-case. :)

Yes, I did notice that there was moisture collecting in some of the housings that surrounded the wires. I made sure that this time it was above all the wires to eliminate any water from collecting in it. I will also get an extra relay just in case!

^ Exactly - there's no way to tell just exactly where the parts come from.

And heck, even if they come from the same X-country source, where/how that particular manufacturer chooses its components could itself vary over time.

As consumers, we simply don't know, period.

Which is why I'm just fond of going with the lowest cost. :lol:

Archived