LegacyGT.com

Takata airbag recall now includes 2005-2008 Legacy and Outback

WraithAkaMrak

How did they do a garbage job?

Missing plastic pop fasteners, guides for glovebox half put in, the motion control string on the glove box not attached, lower driver's side dash is loose because they lost those small white plastic clips on the inside, cut zip ties everywhere, dash squeaks now.

It was a shit show.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missing plastic pop fasteners, guides for glovebox half put in, the motion control string on the glove box not attached, lower driver's side dash is loose because they lost those small white plastic clips on the inside, cut zip ties everywhere, dash squeaks now.

It was a shit show.

I would not put up with this at all... I have a 08 spec b that is very very clean and rattle free it better come back that way. I was thinking of tapering a note inside the glove box with a Benjamin asking the tech to please take care of her like she was your own. I'll try anything to get someone to take pride in their work.

I would not put up with this at all... I have a 08 spec b that is very very clean and rattle free it better come back that way. I was thinking of tapering a note inside the glove box with a Benjamin asking the tech to please take care of her like she was your own. I'll try anything to get someone to take pride in their work.

I can't imagine where you got that at :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I honestly didn't notice at first because my gf was in the passenger seat and the glovebox was closed. When I opened the glovebox to put my things back into it, the box fell open because the string wasn't attached, and I noticed more things from there.

I'm going to ask them to replace every single fastener when they replace the dash and if don't I'm going to raise hell. I'm already displeased with the sales side of that dealer. If it weren't for the parts counter guys, I would've written them off a long time ago.

I just might have to skip having this done based on what others have posted, and just use the car for when I go somewhere by myself. Sucks to be so anal retentive regarding an eleven year old car, but it has only 70k miles.
It is still ugly.

I just might have to skip having this done based on what others have posted, and just use the car for when I go somewhere by myself. Sucks to be so anal retentive regarding an eleven year old car, but it has only 70k miles.

Yeah, worries me, too. I've got a 2007 (purchased 08/2006) Tribeca with just 71,000 miles and clean as can be. Even though it is 10 years old, I could not replace it if I had to. I've kept it up meticulously and it has zero rattles or mechanical problems.

They say that they expect parts for mine in December. When they finally get around to fixing it, I may just plant myself at the dealer and do a thorough inspection before I leave - although the idea of placing a tip in the glovebox is a good one. :)

Luckily, my Legacy is GTG...

You guys are going to extreme lengths here.

Have the dealer do the airbag replacement and ask them nicely to be careful in reassembling the dash. When you go pick up your car, press on every dash panel and trim piece (including lower kick panels) open the glove box and have a look inside, and do a quick drive around the block. If anything is amiss, have them fix it.

This is far better option than having a faulty airbag disfigure your passenger in the event of an accident, or not having an airbag.

You guys are going to extreme lengths here.

Have the dealer do the airbag replacement and ask them nicely to be careful in reassembling the dash. When you go pick up your car, press on every dash panel and trim piece (including lower kick panels) open the glove box and have a look inside, and do a quick drive around the block. If anything is amiss, have them fix it.

This is far better option than having a faulty airbag disfigure your passenger in the event of an accident, or not having an airbag.

:yeahthat: Make it painfully clear what your expectations are up front, and if you detect any static, or pushback from the service rep, consider finding a different dealer. I had mine done and it was fine. They noted every single little flaw that my interior had BEFORE they started the job. Every small scratch or loose panel (someone already f-ed up the driver side panel so it's a little loose), and the fact that I had a bluetooth device with a small display.

I honestly wondered if they did anything with my car because it was exactly as I had dropped it off (maybe the dash was a little cleaner). No fingerprints, no rattles.

Let's face it though, the dealer isn't going to put their best, highest paid, tech on this. They're going to train the grunt and have him do nothing but these all day long. I'm sure some dealers are trading quantity for quality, so you may have to make it very clear that everything must be perfect or they will be fixing it. They figure (and are probably right) that most people won't notice or care anyway.

Yeah I can't honestly say I'd skip a recall which could potentially kill or disfigure someone because I want my dash to stay pretty. A car is first and foremost a device for transportation if I cannot use my car to transport people it's useless. I agree with the previous 2 posters, document the condition going in and make it clear you expect it to be returned in the same condition.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Lucky me I have a 2007 tribeca and 2010 legacy to have airbags replaced in...I don't anticipate any issues.

Why? Do you have full confidence in the dealer's ability to cleanly R&R the instrument panel upper shell (esp. on the Tribeca of which they must be seeing very few)? Just asking.

Lucky me I have a 2007 tribeca and 2010 legacy to have airbags replaced in...I don't anticipate any issues.

Hold on.... when did Tribeca get included in the airbag recall?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Hold on.... when did Tribeca get included in the airbag recall?

Got my notice 7/27:

Subaru Recall Campaign TKB-16

NHTSA Recall No. 16V-359

July 2016 – Zone B

Dear Subaru Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Subaru vehicles listed below, equipped with a non-desiccated Takata-sourced passenger side frontal air bag containing the propellant Phase Stabilized Ammonium Nitrate (certain specific vehicles only):2003-2006 model year Baja2003-2004 model year Legacy2003-2004 model year Outback2006-2008 model year Tribeca2006-2008 model year Impreza (including WRX and STI)

You received this notice because our records indicate that you currently own one of these vehicles.

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY DEFECT AND SAFETY HAZARD

The affected vehicles are equipped with a Takata-sourced passenger side frontal air bag that may be susceptible to moisture intrusion. Over time, that could cause the inflator to rupture when the passenger’s frontal air bag deploys in a crash. If the inflator ruptures, metal fragments could strike vehicle occupants, potentially resulting in serious injury or death.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

Parts are not currently available. Subaru is in the process of acquiring parts necessary to perform this repair. Once there is a sufficient supply of parts available, Subaru will contact you again by mail advising you to proceed with scheduling an appointment with your Subaru retailer (dealer).

Until this repair is performed, do not allow passengers to ride in the front passenger seat.

WHAT WE WILL DO

Subaru will replace the inflator for your front passenger air bag at no cost to you. We will notify you when replacement parts are available.

It´s hilarious.

Across europe doesn´t exist this recall... for any brand (not only for subaru, this recall affects a millions of cars of many brands...). and european subaru are build in japan (instead USA subaru that are build in USA)...

In USA seems consumer´s rights are more important than europe.

Edited by bullit

It´s hilarious.

Across europe doesn´t exist this recall... for any brand (not only for subaru, this recall affects a millions of cars of many brands...). and european subaru are build in japan (instead USA subaru that are build in USA)...

In USA seems consumer´s rights are more important than europe.

Or maybe Europeans aren't flipping idiots. They are probably weighing the very small number of people who have actually been injured against the number of times airbags have saved people, and are also considering the environmental factors of High Heat and Humidity that contribute to the failures, whereas in the US, if ONE person dies in an accident, we flip the f*%# out and demand that no one ever die again.

Except automakers are recalling cars in Europe...

As part of its quality processes Fuji Heavy Industries, parent company to Subaru Automobile has issued an official recall campaign relating to possible front passenger air bag SPI inflator failure. The recall notice applies only to Impreza models (including WRX and STI) built between 2004 and 2007. The recall does not affect any other models in the Subaru range. - See more at: http://subaru.co.uk/news/subaru-recall-notice-impreza-models-2004-2007/#sthash.NbW0yD7W.dpuf

Toyota will recall 1.6 million vehicles in Japan and Europe to replace their passenger-side Takata airbag inflators, but these repairs won't be necessary in the US. The campaign will cover 22 models from the Japanese market, including the Corolla and Vitz, with manufacturing dates between January 2004 and December 2005, according to the Associated Press. It will also affect Italy, Britain, and Spain. However, the company has no reports on injuries in this newly expanded population of recalled vehicles.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/25/toyota-recall-takata-airbag-japan-europe/

Or maybe Europeans aren't flipping idiots. They are probably weighing the very small number of people who have actually been injured against the number of times airbags have saved people, and are also considering the environmental factors of High Heat and Humidity that contribute to the failures, whereas in the US, if ONE person dies in an accident, we flip the f*%# out and demand that no one ever die again.

13 Deaths worldwide so far, and counting, but hey it's an overreaction :rolleyes: