LegacyGT.com

Mishimoto STI-08 Radiator install

I sent the pics in this thread (thanks BBPeik and GTEASER) to the supplier. He recommends a Subaru NA engine application rad he has, still all aluminum and thinner too at a bit over an inch thick (Stock rad is 16mm thick). No more hole to plug at the passenger side corner. Hopefully it clears the charge pipe.

Looks to have a few extra mounting brackets but the important bits look similar.

htMtW2k.jpg

Edited by Scubaboo
Added stock rad thickness

^First I'd heard of Maradyne, thanks for the mention. They look to be well regarded along with Spal.

I wonder how reliable aftermarket fans are? I havent seen many builds that go to the trouble of replacing the OE ones.

The OEM ones have the advantage or being reliable and having the two speed option, even my local shops who do very expensive builds reuse the stock fans. I think making a new fan mount might be a worthy consideration, since the plastic is what really takes up space there.

^that's what I've heard as well, that they are more reliable.

I didnt know they could not go multi-stage, won't power supply from the car dictate that?

I think low profile mount is a good idea.

No the wiring in the car supplies either a low speed power or high speed, but AFAIK they are both 12v, maybe two different windings in the motor or something of that nature.

It puts the motors in series or parallel to do the multi speed. 3.0r/3.6r did it with a PWM module.

The bigger reason to stick with OEM fans is they are higher performance, full stop. Only reason to go aftermarket is if you do something like turbo a 3.6r and need the room for a charge pipe or something.

Just put the rad on. Fit perfect with no mods at all.

Fans shifted back a bit but nowhere near enough to worry about hitting anything.

This is with a 26mm thick rad, stock is 16mm.

I did the thermostat while the rad was out too. Put in an OE STI 78 deg thermostat and new OE thermostat housing gasket.

• 5 months later...
Just put the rad on. Fit perfect with no mods at all.

Fans shifted back a bit but nowhere near enough to worry about hitting anything.

This is with a 26mm thick rad, stock is 16mm.

I did the thermostat while the rad was out too. Put in an OE STI 78 deg thermostat and new OE thermostat housing gasket.

Nice. Has anyone else tried this with no modifications at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ok.

It will come down to sourcing the right rad. Most of the STI rads are 30+mm thick and that is simply too thick to fit without mods.

Maybe a Forester rad will work better. The rad I used is speced for both 2010-up Legacy and 09-up Forester IIRC.

Been running a mishimoto for over a year. Had some issues with the stock fans.

Ended up grabbing a 16” and a 14” slim “Hayden” fans from the local part store. Grab a sheet of aluminum to fabricate a fan shroud for them. The fans do stick out past the radiator, especially the 16”. But I wanted the extra flow capacity to lower temps.

Dont have any clearance issues or anything now. These fans are actually better than stock and dropped my temps alot in the summer with the fmic.

Oh ok.

It will come down to sourcing the right rad. Most of the STI rads are 30+mm thick and that is simply too thick to fit without mods.

Maybe a Forester rad will work better. The rad I used is speced for both 2010-up Legacy and 09-up Forester IIRC.

Which one do you have? Model info?

• 1 month later...