LegacyGT.com

Possible way to save your RBS Lip from breaking...

BrownBoy

Okay, I know you guys ahve seen the Lexus guys that fasten metal plates to the bottom of their insanely dropped cars to keep them from scraping. The plates actually push the car up some so they can get up the driveway, etc.

In the same way, I was thinking about having a metal shop fabricate a sheet of metal that has the same outside contour as my RBS lip. I would then install this underneath the lip, like a skid plate. If the correct thickness, I believe it can be a support/brace and a break-in-half prevention.

Does this sound like it could work?

I haven't done the legwork yet; this is merely an idea I came up w/ randomly. I'm a little slow with funding, so the actual results might be a while, but I will definately be trying it out sometime. I encourage you guys to throw out some ideas, flames, etc. The more feedback, the better. I'll wait a bit to get all the ideas together, and go from there. I'll have a yet-to-be found metal fabricator fab. one up for me, and get you guys the specs. I'll test it out for a while, see how much it really helps, etc.

Cliff notes: skid plate/brace for RBS front lip made out of thick metal.

you can even install a fully functional bracket that supports the bottom of the lip and connect it to series of brackets that hold onto the bumper.. so the lip is just there for the looks.

If I understand, you're saying that it would essentially be hinged, and that w/ an impact or contact w/ a surface, it swings up slightly? Sounds like a good plan, but I think it's more complicated than it needs to be...:lol:

I think that would be awesome. I kind of have a problem with my RBP front bumper... its been scraped on the bottom, both sides. You really cant see it unless you look hard for it, but the problem is... I know its there. Its really horrible. The streets here are so messed up, and then when I was first learning to park it I would run over the curbs a little bit. I know that sounds horrible, but coming from my van that was much higher off the ground front bumper clearance wise, and the hood was non-existant... to parking the legacy with a lower body and an actual hood... I have a bit of battle scars from it :(

Definately something that might be worth investing into.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

aaaaaaaahaha Huston roads..........you haven't seen ANYTHING......

Come up and see New England roads, then you'll know what the RBS lip can take......which I can tell you is more abuse then I want to dish out to it.

I'll look into do'n something like this once the winter is over and I can repaint the lip........but the mod from that link is a lil much for a lip I think.....

well, that link posted previously is what inspired me. I was going to go about it in a different way though. We'll see how it will go. I have the day off today, so I'm going to call a few places, maybe even my friend's shop, and see what I can come up w/.

too much front weight bias.. Aluminum is better

No, titanium would be better though more expensive. It you do scrape something, it'll produce blue sparks in the daytime. Aluminum just scrapes away with no sparks.

Titanium skidplates are often used in race cars that run really low to the ground to avoid destroying the composite body panels.

Archived