LegacyGT.com

Cadillac ATS Brembo Caliper Upgrade for your Subaru

LatentWagen

It's been mentioned a few times already in this thread, but front/rear brake bias really needs to be considered when modifying your braking system.

Here's a good quick read on the subject based on BBK options for the BRZ: https://sickmint79.kinja.com/ats-and-other-bbk-swaps-vs-the-86-frs-brz-1786142903

While it may not look as cool, a good set of matching pads front/rear that are appropriate for how you're using the car (Street/"spirited driving", Autocross, etc), along with fresh fluid and good lines will go a long way for most people.

Obviously you have different needs if you are doing serious track time, but at that level you're probably not looking at this braking setup anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
even a degree or so makes a big difference. And yea they're very thin (2.5 mm/ .1") so the effect they have is very minor.

If you decide you want a kit let me know!

long shot... but do you happen to still have a kit available?

I just got started on the Cadillac Brembo upgrade. So far I’m just buying calipers and paint because it won’t be good painting weather for much longer in Washington state. The passenger side caliper arrived today and to my surprise it says “Made in Mexico” on the box and cast into the caliper. Weird. I thought these were being made in the US. Anyone else get made in Mexico calipers or am I the lucky guy to get one of the first off the assembly line?

• 3 weeks later...
I read that these don't fit a lot of 17" wheels. I did a mock up of how I believe the CTSV bracket will position the calipers. Looks like the 17" JDM STi GDB wheels fit with about 1/4" to spare. I was going to sell these but I guess I'll be using these for my winter tires.

IMG_2914.thumb.jpg.899f23dd79cc1656381e10b58c557ca1.jpg

IMG_2915.thumb.jpg.dd41316a143ba0e7f5bcebbe4057353c.jpg

Finished painting my Cadillac Brembos. I went with some Rustoleum high heat primer, then several coats of VHT gloss black caliper paint. I then let it dry overnight and baked them in the oven to fully cure the paint.

I then bought some STi caliper stickers from eBay and waited for them to come in the mail.

When they arrived I did some very light wet sanding with 800 grit and then after they dried I applied the stickers and several coats of VHT gloss clear caliper paint.

I think I'll but the brackets when CTSV does a black friday deal. So I probable won't be testing these until the winter or later.

IMG_2969.thumb.jpg.a4d6100834254834fd219dcc6af47955.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I asked this question on NASIOC and SubaruOutback.org but not much luck. Probably Outback guys that have ATS brakes are lurking in here instead?

I got the parts for installing ATS front and WRX red calipers rear on my 2009 Outback 3.0R. I'm using BWC brackets. I still need to get bigger wheels as the stock 17" are not clearing the ATS clippers (they do clear the rears).

My question for my fellow Outback owners (or Legacy that share the same parts): with the increased caliper size do I need to get the master cylinder from sti to make this work properly?

Are you experience issues with the brake pedal having to travel more now to engage the brakes?

Any other issues I should be aware off (except the pad overhang)?

Thanks a lot!

Hi guys,

I asked this question on NASIOC and SubaruOutback.org but not much luck. Probably Outback guys that have ATS brakes are lurking in here instead?

I got the parts for installing ATS front and WRX red calipers rear on my 2009 Outback 3.0R. I'm using BWC brackets. I still need to get bigger wheels as the stock 17" are not clearing the ATS clippers (they do clear the rears).

My question for my fellow Outback owners (or Legacy that share the same parts): with the increased caliper size do I need to get the master cylinder from sti to make this work properly?

Are you experience issues with the brake pedal having to travel more now to engage the brakes?

Any other issues I should be aware off (except the pad overhang)?

Thanks a lot!

I didn’t replace the brake master or brake booster. No difference in travel from what I can tell. I have a grimmspeed MBC bracket installed.

I saw your message on NASIOC. I work a lot. Lol. Can’t always respond. 2005 LGT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

is the rotor position on this picture expected?

I'm using a junkyard spindle and hub from 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT Premium, VIN:4S4BRBCC5E3309447, to test the fit for my parts and wheels. Subaru parts list the same part number for this car as for my car.

I'm using:

ATS caliper 172-2768

Centric rotor 125.47019

BWC FABRICATIONS bracket BWC-SATS4F

Do I have a bad hub? Or is the rotor not centered with the caliper expected?

Picture link

s!AqkmCq9OFXZhmu0ehMUBH562DTvYgw

Thanks

Edited by doru
missing pic

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I am a newbie to subies. I have always had interest in them but stayed on my Toyota/Lexus/Honda platforms. I recently found a 06 OBXT 5MT that I couldn't pass on. I am still learning the car and won't do any mods until another couple months when I know for sure all my maintenance have been done.

I did see the STI Brembo brake upgrade that I do want to do, however I am not seeing any details on what is needed for this upgrade. I know I need the calipers but not seeing if there are adapter brackets needed for the swap and where to get them, which brake lines to use, any problems I should know about, anyone on here that did the swap can tell there experiences and how difficult is the mod.

Is there a thread on here that outlines this or on another site that someone knows of? I would appreciate any information you guys can provide or direction you can point me in to find this info. I did read the brake section on this site and it does give some vital information but none of what I am looking for. Thanks in advance in advance for any help you guys can provide.

No sti rears for me. Too much money. I'm going WRX red calipers in the rear. I got the brackets already and RockAuto has the calipers at good price.

I also got the Cadillac calipers and brackets -the BWC ones. I'm thinking of moving and enlarging the upper hole to get a 14mm bolt in there. Kind of a mixed between BWC and CTSV bracket. That will bring the top caliper bolt 1mm [(14-12)/2] closer to the wheel center and reduce top pad overhang and pad misalignment. I have not experimented with this yet but I will this week to see if the 1mm change makes enough of a difference for the effort involved.

I'm thinking of moving and enlarging the upper hole to get a 14mm bolt in there. Kind of a mixed between BWC and CTSV bracket. That will bring the top caliper bolt 1mm [(14-12)/2] closer to the wheel center and reduce top pad overhang and pad misalignment.

I played a bit with this yesterday and the results are good and worth the effort. The pivoting produced at the top of the caliper is a lot more than the 1mm move on top bolt center position because the top of caliper is at the end of the pivoting "arm". The results are:

1. The caliper now has enough clearance at the top to work with my OEM 2009 Outback wheels (a 22mm spacer is still required to clear the spokes) AND flat weights inside the wheel. Before the weights were rubbing.

2. I can use my OEM spare wheel with the mentioned spacer. So even if I get new wheels that do not require spacers I can still use my spare with the spacer stored with the wheel.

3. The bottom outside edge of the pad is now fully on the disk

4. The top overhang of the pad is now a lot smaller. The pad is flush with the outside disk diameter but the disk has a bevel on the outside edge so there is still an "overhang" that will require some pad filling before install to prevent noises when it is wearing down. But that is minimal now.

I'm going to order the necessary tools and a new 14mm bolt and have a go on a spare spindle.

• 2 months later...
BTW, for completion, the OEM 2009 Outback 3.0 wheels are 17J×7, ET48, 5x100.

Very good info that you mention your spare tire fitting. Been wondering about this for any brembos. might have to pickup and store a spare 22mm spacer in the trunk when it comes time for me to do my brake upgrades.

have an ob here too and still wavering back and forth to see if i want to do a sti 04-07 brembo upgrade or do the cadillac. Seems like in reading the caddys arent really 100% plug and play.

If you have or plan to upgrade to aftermarket wheels on your Outback then it is plug and play with BWC FABRICATIONS brackets.

I'm trying to stay with the OEM wheels for the winter that's why my post about modifycations.