LegacyGT.com

Rear End Whining

i have something that's been bothering me for the last hundred or so miles. When I coast at highway speeds with the radio off, I can hear a slight whine from what I think is coming from the rear end. The closest sound I can relate it to is tires on concrete at highway speeds. The sound is speed-dependent, meaning that around town it's not noticeable at all, but as speeds hit 60 or 70mph, it can be heard with the radio off. The car's only got 40,000 miles, but I've not had the 30k service done on it yet. My best guess is maybe check on the diff. fluid and go from there? Anyone else ever hear of something like this?

Yep, it has been heard of.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
I actually just got back into town yesterday afternoon so I've not had time to go and get an appointment. Funny thing, though: I drove 600 miles to get back here and for the first time in a week or so didn't hear anything. Would the dealer charge me if I went down there and wanted them to just check it out anyways?

It doesn't sound like a fuel pump whining, and because it was in proportion to wheel speed and not engine speed, I'm not worried about that. The diff hasn't left any puddles below it so I doubt that's it, but soon enough I'm going to get the rear up on ramps and jack the front up and check the level just to make sure.

• 1 month later...
Yep, you all were right, right rear wheel bearing was headed out, so they replaced it today under warranty. A question, though: will them replacing it mess with the alignment I just had done like 2 weeks ago?

no, your alignment will be fine... plus, if it's warranty work, I would argue to have them align it if they actually move the strut.

Leo

Yep, you all were right, right rear wheel bearing was headed out, so they replaced it today under warranty. A question, though: will them replacing it mess with the alignment I just had done like 2 weeks ago?

Subaru will only pay to replace what is bad. If the hub is fine, they won't replace it. IIRC, it is a hub/bearing unit.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived