LegacyGT.com

Best option for inexpensive cat back exhaust replacement?

07 Legacy Limited. I need a new cat back exhaust. I don't care about sound or performance improvement, I just need to replace my rusted out system with something that will work and last for a while. Options seem to all over the map from $220 to $900. Any recommendations on something inexpensive but not total garbage?

Thanks!

how are your pockets? they deep, not deep, or can you eat tuna for the next 4 months to get something nice? You can also go to a shop and have them fab you something. That might be the best options.

You can also go to ebay and get ya something till you can get some funds. I would go borla catback cause I like the sound.

I’d recommend finding a used stock system. Anything ‘oem replacement’ isn’t going to be as good of quality and any performance exhaust is going to be louder and both will probably be more expensive. Check junk yards, FB, CL, eBay, etc.

A well known Exhaust shop FTW, you can even get them to put flanges if need be for a bit more cash but worth it for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

The ProTuningLab catback system is dirt cheap and fits fine, and they say T304 stainless. I've bought this system twice just to use the pipes and went with more expensive mufflers because their cans are quite cheap.

Cans are about what they are. Straight through not much of a muffler.

Last Fall I had some old Magnaflow knock off mufflers fitted to my wagon with the inlet pipes cut off the Pro Lab Tuning cans. I had some old Dyna Max slant cut double wall tips that look great. Years ago, the Mangaflows were loud with the custom Y pipe back to them. Now these same mufflers with the midpipe off my 09 Spec B are just a tad louder then stock.

IMO your best off to find a local exhaust shop and get a price from them.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

well - I just went through this when my mufflers rusted off at the Y Pipe over the axle (again)....

To replace all pipes and mufflers (cat back) - exhaust shop wanted ~$600 out the door. But that was just standard aluminum piping - with which they had already fixed the broken Y Pipe 1.5 yrs ago.... AND I bet if you check you stock mufflers - they are rusted to hell as well - mine were:spin:(along with the straight pipe to the rear axle)

For $750 I went Borla (Stainless) - which is essentially warrantied for life.... totally worth the extra $150 to resolve the issue for quite some time (maybe permanently)

Fitment is great - and sound is not that much loader - I really thought it would be far worse = prepped the wifeee for LOUD - and she was happy when she heard it. (I'm also running a DP and VF52 - so may even be quieter on stock car)

The ProTuningLab catback system is dirt cheap and fits fine, and they say T304 stainless. I've bought this system twice just to use the pipes and went with more expensive mufflers because their cans are quite cheap.

The reviews on these seem to be a mix of "it's fine" and "this doesn't fit and rusted out in 4 months", so I'm a little weary.

The previous owner had a super cheap turboback exhaust system on my car. Catless downpipe and mufflers that barely muffled. One of those kits that cost $300 in its entirety. The thing rattled like crazy and he told me he had to do tons of modification to it to get it to fit right. It also sounded like a straight-piped Civic. Don't recommend.

If you want an OEM catback, hang around on the classifieds on this forum for awhile and somebody will be practically giving theirs away. Look for ones from the West coast if you want one with no rust.

I have the factory mid-pipe in great condition. I sold the cans years ago but it would be a start for you. I'm in northern Delaware. Let me know if you'd like some pics, I can take some Monday when I'm at work. I work at a shop and can install it for you as well but you'd have to pay my boss the labor.

• 4 weeks later...
Do you know if this will this fit a non-turbo legacy 2.5i? Hard to get a good answer on that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You should look under your 2.5i and try and measure the distance from the mid pipe flange to the resonator. One of us could do the same, if they are the same distance it should fit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here