LegacyGT.com

Header options

I am building a new engine for my 05 OBXT, and I have done a couple of hours of research when it comes to headers. Initially, I was going to gasket match the head, and build my own UEL headers with 1.75" pipe to match the gasket opening. After my research, I read that gasket matching the heads is bad, so I'm not going to do that anymore. I seen people were still gasket matching the stock manifolds from the heads to the turbo and have not found if this is definitively bad or useless. I am not after big power at this time (big turbo in the future), my main priority is to get the quickest spool I can get and try to keep a reasonable spool with the big turbo in the future. My question is what would be the best option for my build; UEL headers (If so What size pipe), stock ported manifolds, or stock manifolds?

It makes sense to me that making the airflow smother is better for velocity and spool, but i dont see the point of opening it up if it just necks down later down the line.

I should also mention that the engine has BC stage 2 cams which is counter-intuitive to me wanting quick spool, but im a sucker for a choppy idle, and I have faith that the avcs will help get back some of that spool. Would stock headers offer enough flow for the bigger cams?

Cam Specs: 272°/272° 222°/222° .400"/.400" 10.16/10.16

Stock: 256°/256° 204°/208° .378"/.385" 9.60/9.78

If your main priority is really for quicker spool, go equal length. KillerB is my suggestion as they stand by their product and have better welds and construction compared to Perrin and In

So equal length spools quicker than in equal? I thought it was the other way around

If your main priority is really for quicker spool, go equal length. KillerB is my suggestion as they stand by their product and have better welds and construction compared to Perrin and In

So equal length spools quicker than in equal? I thought it was the other way around

Using a high quality EL header = gains

Not all EL headers are created the same. The volume and length of the runners play a big role into that which is why nobody makes their own EL or UEL headers if they care about power instead of sound. The boxer rumble is the sound of inefficiency and getting rid of that gives you more power potential.

Everyone should go EL for better EJ longevity as well. The car will still have the some of that subie "rumble" all depends on what TBE you install. You want an exhaust that gives you a deep rumble like a cobb to make EL headers not sound like a riced out honda. HAHA

+1 for equal length as those are where you’ll find the best gains. No idea why anyone would go unequal, might as well just keep the stock exhaust manifold at that point. As mentioned the Killer B is the gold standard for sure. Perrin has figured some stuff out with their newer E4 header, the collector is much better than their old design closer to what Killer B does.

where is the market on used killer B EL uncoated?

I might do a part out

Pretty small market honestly. Seems like people don't have/spend that kind of money on these cars.

I've considered buying a coated manifold and selling my uncoated one so there's no downtime, but I figure it would be hard to sell for more than $1k.

I was looking into the ELH also, but all the vids I watched sounds so riced out. I like the deep rumble. I not trying to get every bit of power. I cannot get over the rasp sound out of the cars. I know you all say ELH is the way to go but I am not on that same page.

I don't know how many legacy vids I watched with different mufflers, and they all rasp and are not for me.

quick spool and big turbo are largely an oxymoron. You want quick get a small twinscroll ball bearing turbo. tune for the majority of your driving. You'll have a Jokers smile in no time.

Twinscroll is a possibility for me in the future, I think the turbo I will be getting is a bcp 500 which can spool within 500 rpm of stock, but I will most likely go with a twinscroll after that like a blouch 1.5 twin scroll, I just don't have the money for that right now.

guess I dont understand. buying multiple turbos seems to be a super expensive way to upgrade your engine.

500rpms of stock? You mean you want max boost at 2500? A big turbo will be max boost at 5000-6000. Jmp has been looking for a client willing to test his super quick neck breaking turbo. You might pm him to get a custom turbo which will be mych better than off-the-shelf solution.

You want a fun around town car? dyno queen? weekend toy for the twisties? or highest amount ever spent on a build? I'd nail this part down first then go looking for a tuner then have them help you make a shopping list.

At this point in the evolution of the ej25, solutions that are bulletproof exist for every scenario. And yet, the number of new threads grows daily with ppl who struck off the beaten path with an oddball idea and wilted under dollar investment to see it through.

If "just don't have the money" is already a problem, can I suggest investing in options that have a large return on investment vs headers which are a purely bling item at your funding level. The stock headers are good above 400hp. The uppipe replacement is to remove a failure point.

You want a fun around town car? dyno queen? weekend toy for the twisties? or highest amount ever spent on a build? I'd nail this part down first then go looking for a tuner then have them help you make a shopping list.

I like the fun around town car option, with some weekend toy sprinkled in...Sorry for hijacking this thread but I know personally, I wouldn't build this to be the fastest car out the gate, but I would like to have the ability to tap on the gas and actually go.

500rpms of stock? You mean you want max boost at 2500? A big turbo will be max boost at 5000-6000. Jmp has been looking for a client willing to test his super quick neck breaking turbo. You might pm him to get a custom turbo which will be mych better than off-the-shelf solution.

I would be interested in being a guinea pig, but I can't seem to find any info, I seen a jmp vf52, is that what you are talking about?