LegacyGT.com

Blower motor not working on any speed - successful repair

Hi all,

First off, big thanks to everyone who contributes on these forums. I was able to search through here, diagnose my issue, and complete the repair thanks to several previous threads.

Issue: The blower fan stopped working on our 2011 Subaru Legacy and would not activate at any speed.

Steps taken:

1. Checked and replaced cabin air filter. It was filthy but nothing was blocking the fan from spinning. (Filter/debris not the issue)

2. Visually checked the fuses for the blower fan, the AC, and the cigarette lighter. None appeared to be blown.

3. Removed blower motor & fan. Hooked it up to the car battery with test leads and the fan turned on immediately. (Blower motor not the issue)

4. Checked the blower motor resistor. It appeared to be rusting in some spots on both the resistor and the connectors. Continuity test with a multimeter appeared to check out but I replaced it anyway. I didn't suspect this was the issue because most posts indicated the fan should still work on the highest setting, bypassing the resistor altogether. (Blower motor resistor not the issue)

5. Rechecked all fuses with a test light. All appeared to functioning properly. (Fuses not the issue)

6. Checked blower motor resistor and blower motor connections for power with the test light and multimeter. I did not get readings using either and suspected it was either the heater control switch or something with a wiring or relay. (Power not getting to the blower motor!)

Upon further inspection, I could hear a relay behind the glove box switching on and off as I turned the knob for the fan speed. I also felt the motor and it quickly turned on and off as well. I decided to check the control switch and thought perhaps the connection was loose. A picture of the relay is below. I removed the side panel on the passenger side for better access to it but did not remove the relay.

I used a trim removal tool to take apart the dash and get access to the control switch. Pictures are below showing where each of the 6 clips are located if that's helpful for anyone.

When I tried to remove the large connector from control switch, the connection on the back of the switch broke off completely. Once I removed the two screws holding the switch in, disconnected the smaller connector for the hazard lights and vent selection, and gently pulled the control switch out (two remaining clips near the bottom hold it in), I noticed melted plastic around the connection for the fan speed selector. Pics are below. (Bad heater control switch!)

The replacement switch is over $300 from a Subaru dealer but I was able to find a replacement from a reputable salvage yard for $75. Some were cheaper but this switch came from a low-milage 2014 wreck.

Put in the "new" control switch today and the fan started right up and worked on all speeds!

I do have one question; based on the pictures, is the connector anything to be concerned about? It took some heat damage from the burned out control switch connection.

Thanks again to everyone who posts and comments on threads. Great community here to search and learn about DIY repairs!

1690056218_Cliplocationsondash.thumb.jpg.82711553341765918210e6fe3a61b848.jpg

500564530_ClipLocationsindash.thumb.jpg.4fb081a21ae224267bc5179dce7aa7b4.jpg

656133673_Cliplocationsonfrontpanel.jpg.ec89414ac89ed3ba64ee7029b6894f3a.jpg

255099300_Relaybehindglovebox-2.thumb.jpg.c15305c7ded3a35f1081f3cab24a39d6.jpg

1797696808_Relaybehindglovebox.jpg.d0d08b143f6eb7646ee719c8e8368ceb.jpg

2098261548_ControlSwitch-brokenconnector.thumb.jpg.7d15b609fdf8e6c0a030145cc37343fe.jpg

527418259_ControlSwitchConnector.thumb.jpg.707dddbef995d62b61614bcb1586e914.jpg

For next time: You can put your hand inside the cubby, make a fist, and (carefully) pull to remove that entire piece. The clips pop right out. That way you don't have to put down tape and take all that time.

I would replace the burned/melted connector. Why not? I'm sure the part is cheap online.

I'm not sure if it would indicate a bigger problem though.

For next time: You can put your hand inside the cubby, make a fist, and (carefully) pull to remove that entire piece. The clips pop right out. That way you don't have to put down tape and take all that time.

I would replace the burned/melted connector. Why not? I'm sure the part is cheap online.

I'm not sure if it would indicate a bigger problem though.

Thanks for the tip!

Good point on the connector, might as well if its cheap enough.

Did you do a continuity check of the pins on both switches to see if the old one had a cross connection or was different somehow? Something is drawing a lot of current to do that.

Did you do a continuity check of the pins on both switches to see if the old one had a cross connection or was different somehow? Something is drawing a lot of current to do that.

I did not do that, good suggestion. It's easy enough to take apart again and test.

Very good photos and troubleshooting, this helps all of us!

I would also recommend replacing that connector plug that melted.

As to why it would melt:

1. Loose connection. - hard to believe since you have a 2011 model and it has probably worked fine all these years

2. gradual or sudden increase in resistance (amps), but not enough to blow a fuse. But why? Hard to say. Was there any debris restricting the blower fan from spinning?

You mentioned some rust. I wonder if the fan motor is starting to fail and it has higher resistance?

• 1 year later...
The blower motor is underneath the glovebox, right? My friend has to change his and I am going to help him. I can't find any videos on youtube for the 2010-2014 Legacys/Outbacks. Is it just a couple of screws and clips to take it out? You don't have to take the whole dash apart, right?

The blower motor is underneath the glovebox, right? My friend has to change his and I am going to help him. I can't find any videos on youtube for the 2010-2014 Legacys/Outbacks. Is it just a couple of screws and clips to take it out? You don't have to take the whole dash apart, right?

I've been wondering the same thing. I can only find videos for the 4th gen Legacy blower motor. I might need to change my blower motor as well since it makes a noise when being used, and it gets louder as the speed setting increases. I'm guessing it's below the glovebox and you just need to unscrew a few screws and pull the motor out?

I've been wondering the same thing. I can only find videos for the 4th gen Legacy blower motor. I might need to change my blower motor as well since it makes a noise when being used, and it gets louder as the speed setting increases. I'm guessing it's below the glovebox and you just need to unscrew a few screws and pull the motor out?

It appears it is right above the lower dash cover below the glove box.

blower motor.pdf

It appears it is right above the lower dash cover below the glove box.

Thanks for the PDF! I'll see if a new blower motor makes less noise than my current one. The one I have right now almost makes a sound as if there is like a leaf in hit that keeps hitting the blower motor as it spins. I've heard it is a very common sound in Subaru blower motors...

^ Wow subaru actually made something easy ahahahhaha i guess since they make it impossible to change a headlight without contortion or front clip disassembly lol they had to throw us a bone somehow...

yeah the 3rd and 4th gen legacy outback are a pitb as Subaru decided to run a wire harness right next to tight up against the motor and it blocks the mounting plate for the blower motor. when I did my 2003 Legacy I had to remove the glove box, unplug a few connectors between the glove box and the door, unclip the harness and only then could i drop the blower motor down...