LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Wagon, 5spd manual

K2e2vin

I am about to pick up a 2005 Legacy GT wagon this weekend; is there anything specifically I should look for?

I've read about people "bashing 2005" models; what exactly is the problem on those compared to others?

Thanks, Kevin

Welcome to the forum!

'05 was the only year for the 5MT GT wagon in the US, so there isn't much of an option there. They're fairly rare, you're lucky to have found one. There's bound to be a good thread around regarding reliability, do a little searcing or check out stickied threads.

I don't get how I'm being a troll, but w/e.

From digging, the only 05 specific problem is the center dash/radio and, just everyone saying replace the pre-cat/up pipe but I assumed the other years had that too. If you're talking about the "bashing 2005 models" comment, it actually came from the Reliability Modifications thread, where the OP stated, " A lot of folks here seem to be asking the same questions, but in the wrong way. Questions seem to include bashing of the '05 model year, bashing of stock turbos, oil lines, blah blah blah, but all are asking what to do to increase reliability of the LGT drivetrain+."

Don't stress too much about reliability. Budget for things to break like on any old car even though chances are you'll be fine. I had a 2005 5MT LGT wagon that I owned from 17k miles to 92k miles and drove hard, and it never left me stranded. It had some minor problems like a bad wheel bearing and broken headlights (both while it was under warranty), but nothing major went wrong.

Sorry Kevin, I was basing the troll guess based on the poster of a thread by a newb who was ignorantly bashing 05 LGT's specifically, suggesting incorrect things causing the Reliability Modifications thread to be written in response to. No reason you would have caught that.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/has-most-miles-their-lgt-and-they-holding-up-over-27680.html?t=27680&highlight=reliability

Thats a good thread to give you an overall idea of reliability. My 05 is not only a torque monster it is stood up to a shocking amount of power and driving that it was never intended for.

Thanks guys! I was just curious if they had much if any specific "known problems" that I should look out for, but I guess I should be good.

The Legacy will basically be replacing my Accord that has 273k miles. Originally I was looking for a manual 94-95 Accord wagon(basically just a bigger version of my current car) but stumbled upon the Legacy; more cargo volume(the main thing I was looking for), newer/nicer, and theoretically better for climbing uphill in wet and snow weather(AWD) along with more torque to go uphill easier. Really, the only thing that I'm sacrificing is MPG but I'm going to find ways around that(hypermilling, possibly trading engines with someone for a 2l turbo engine, tuning, and some aero mods).

Again, Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to this car.

Under no circumstances give up your 2.5L for the WRX/USDM 2.0L. Major downgrade in every way. If you really want better mileage just get the non-turbo, you'll save money buying the car and at the pump. Otherwise enjoy the turbo's power.

Archived