LegacyGT.com

DOHCEJ22E1's Legacy LSi.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being that I skipped some important time to document with pics, the EJ20D has a new timing kit, valves (8/16 were bent), STi oil pan, dipstick, and pickup tube, and has all of the bolt-ons there were on the previous EJ22D.

2e33OKj-1.jpg

^-Cometic EJ205 head gaskets 1mm thick (To boost compression from 9.5:1 to 10:1).

Time for the good part; Innards of the dead EJ22D.

54Wq6lL-1.jpg

lat5mlx-1.jpg

z6HolhA-1.jpg

Fun, right? After the EJ20D was swapped in, there were a few things to work out before it would finally run right. For 1, it wouldn't idle for crap. Changed IACV and it began to idle right after adjustment. Also, various things began to happen.

40pvvwN-1.jpg

^- Got 4.44 LSD, which I haven't installed yet.

g7zhziF-1.jpg

JE6z51Y-1.jpg

^- Rotated JDM fuel injectors so that plugs are easier to access.

nXy497A-1.jpg

XyPkBSx-1.jpg

491SJk7-1.jpg

vLkYkfc-1.jpg

S37V5QN-1.jpg

07bRyRM-1.jpg

3kf2VkW-1.jpg

i4AVCuq-1.jpg

^- All taken while I was situating the EJ20D swap.

b0c6gZ0-1.jpg

IUjEa2V-1.jpg

I love this interior. For those of you who do not know, the SUS and Outback came with the "Safari" package in late 97/early 98. This package included actual wood trim, which was laminated and glued onto the existing bezels. Cheap, but I love it.

Massive time skip to the present, when I got coilovers and installed them. The ride is much, much better.

7r9EPul-1.jpg

Z1hPDJq-1.jpg

^- Regrowth of sticker wall.

Bonus: My friend's Outback w/11.5:1 EJ25D (1999 EJ25D heads, the same EJ20D cams that were in the previous EJ22D, 2004 EJ251 block, and 0.5mm head gaskets).

tPyQAo5-1.jpg

UhnaeUI-1.jpg

zetGwhd-1.jpg

GmJ6WWm-1.jpg

epkPnNN-1.jpg

aTmP0dn-1.jpg

1Ms30O4-1.jpg

LSnwiGF-1.jpg

7XcaGxc-1.jpg

This Outback, WITHOUT bolt-ons, is more powerful and responsive than the 22D ever was. I expected a change, but not on this level. Bolt-ons will be done to see just how much power the car will gain.

The car still runs well, although it developed 2 oil leaks that I have to combat soon. As for my synopsis on the EJ20D, I will explain it in pros and cons.

Pros:

High revs from high lift cams.

Okay power with bolt-ons.

Can still get over 30mpg.

Cons:

Low end torque is too small (2L can only do so much in N/A, even with bolt-ons and 10:1 CR spike).

Block/liner alloy are dense (holds onto heat for too long and is heavy).

All and all, if you drive up hilly roads or long roads like I do, a 2.2 or 2.5 will be much better to drive with the cams that come in the EJ20D.

Thanks for the update!!!!

You're welcome.

During the past month, I have ordered two coilovers sets of the same brand (MaxSpeedingRods), but different types to utilize the result of combining them into one. I have to say that I am pleased with the results. I paid less than the cost of at least Raceland's best set to have made a set that far exceeds it by at least twice over.

The combination has no name, but consists of GD top hats, springs, and spring perches, along with GC 24 way struts and lower knuckle base for damper adjustment. So far, the ride is civil enough to be soft on the interior, and responsive enough to still feel surefooted.

The dampening is still at 0 but so far, no complaints. I'll adjust the setting when I get more suspension mods in.

Custom coilovers:

RPniB1G.jpg

Combination complete:

RPniB1G.jpg

On car (only two shown, but all 4 are on:

bd5kRKV.jpg

ANvRLwn.jpg

The car after height adjustment:

mXVS1Y8.jpg

TlA3XBT.jpg

Edited by DOHCEJ22E1

Looks like a llama sticker where a hood badge might be found on some cars. Together with that question being a joke when asked in Spanish.

Ohhh. I am a huge fan of the Street Fighter series of fighting games, and the name on the hood translates into "Shinkuu Hadouken."

• 1 year later...

This project came to a quiet end.

At the end of this car's life, it received quite a few mods that made it fun, but it was replaced by a new wagon of mine and then it was gutted for it's parts, and junked. It will be remembered for being fun and keeping me afloat in the worst of times. Definitely one for the memories.