LegacyGT.com

JDM Clone Headlight Project

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NA headlights have a side marker and the JDM's do not. I was not aware of this until I started this project.

What even is the purpose of the orange side markers on the side of the headlights? I remember changing those bulbs and I couldn't move my wrist after for 3 days lmao. I threw in LED 168 bulbs and they look great though...

Going to add a set of these while the headlights are out. I'll have to wait to do the low beams later. Again, thanks to Humble for the info.

VLEDS 2pcs High Visibility Amber 194 T10 2825 360° Long Life 14 LED Bulb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074VGYW3M/?coliid=I3N1ZE08TBM2YB&colid=BQ8A0MTFML87&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This project reminds me of what I did to mine back in Mar-2012. Ah, the memories....

The taping was indeed a work of art. And we ended up using a special tape

because the chrome layer is extremely fragile (can peel and rub through easily)

plus clean paint cutoff lines are extremely difficult to achieve.

2012Mar01_1341.jpg

https://www.lightwerkz.net/photo/makemodel/subaru/legacy/10-legacy/

As far as painting and taping off the chrome, take a look at my build project here: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/showoff/projector-retrofits/1460346-2009-subaru-legacy-hid-retrofit

TL;DR version is yellow frog tape meant for delicate surfaces and post-it notes. Both won't pull up the chrome. Also if you need to tape off a complex surface, playdoh works for that. Be extremely careful with the chrome as it's easy to rub it off if you are trying to clean up overspray. For the most part if you are trying to clean up any paint on the chrome where you didn't want it you'll likely damage the chrome so just be very particular about taping off.

As for painting. Lots of very light coats to get the paint to stick. The paint doesn't want to stick to chrome being slippery and all but light coat will allow it to stick. But it's also going to be delicate and easy to damage so be care with handling and reassembly.

I don't think I would suggest clear coating them before or after. If you clear before then the paint will have a hard time sticking to the clear coat. You could clear coat after but no real need as it's behind the lense so it doesn't really need protection but I guess it probably wouldn't hurt.

And yeah taping it off will be art work and time consuming if you want it to have good sharp lines. Mine took incredibly long to tape. The tape "art work" is in that build.

Good luck, it will likely be a lot of work but not terribly difficult and the results are rewarding.

I looked at the bezels when did pictures for Falcor, well, these are harder to tape compared to facelift ones. And my painting work was not that perfect, there are some painting issues on the painted surface edges, which i had to re-tape and repaint using brush.

For taping i used airbrush adhesive tape which you can stretch. You make a contour with it, then cover the rest area with the normal paint tape:

zwAAAgHi4eA-960.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The VLEDS side marker LEDs came in yesterday and today I picked up a few of the things I’ll be needing. They didn’t have semi-gloss black Krylon Fusion. Only satin and gloss, so I went with satin. I also ordered a foam polishing pad kit to clean the lenses with the aluminum polish. I think I should be pretty much ready to tear everything apart a week from tomorrow. [emoji2]

cf4d1fad7e9b6cf9a30718b15d288c54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did my GX470 headlights today. Have to bake them back together later today. Little bit f practice for when I do the GT. It was pretty easy to get clean lines with the yellow Frog Tape but I also used blue over it to help keep down and sealed. Blacked out under the side marker reflector and layed a light mist of black paint on the back of the reflector itself.a3b7b3928e02aafda41aacea8d3473d6.jpgde41dc3651bb70365625b5ad5eaf8cc5.jpg

Working on mine today. Have the headlight assemblies off the car, now just disassembling before baking.

What temp and time did you do?

Hey falcor, could you do me a favor and measure the diameter of the turn signal bezel inside the lens?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Working on mine today. Have the headlight assemblies off the car, now just disassembling before baking.

What temp and time did you do?

Baked at 250 for 10 minutes. I did check to make sure my oven's temp was accurate. Edited by GTEASER

So, worked on the headlights from like 2:00-10:00 yesterday. What a pain. Getting to the oven part was not bad, it was the fact that these headlights do not fit in my oven.

I saw a video online of a homemade oven using a cardboard box and heat gun. I didn’t have a box big enough and instead of going and buying the correct size, I decided to make a box. [emoji848]

Opening up the headlights took longer than anything else. I had to leave them in the “oven” for like 15 min, pry/work on the sealant, bake again, pry....

Finally got the last one apart at 10:00, then I was done for the day. Tonight will be taping and tomorrow paint.....hopefully.

cebbcc5f0680ece8ad3cdd142afcbdc8.jpg

19c3828e369bd4180456bcdf7dd10855.jpgf2100c654c0fb5c2760ace73e0bc204b.jpgef55ef49f6c35458a6a0072e96ebf1db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did my GX470 headlights today. Have to bake them back together later today. Little bit f practice for when I do the GT. It was pretty easy to get clean lines with the yellow Frog Tape but I also used blue over it to help keep down and sealed. Blacked out under the side marker reflector and layed a light mist of black paint on the back of the reflector itself.

Did you sand the chrome down at all before painting? I'm not planning on doing any sanding, but want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot.