LegacyGT.com

Always with the exhaust leaks

I've been battling exhaust leaks for quite a while now. Once I get everything sealed it's only a matter of time before I get leaks again at the manifold/crossover pipe. It's always the passenger side. I have used the Grimm thicker gaskets and the copper spray gasket and issue still pops up. Any suggestions? I've gone through all the posts regarding this and I cannot get it to seal. :spin::spin::spin:

Red RTV silicone sealant.

Put a bead on one side of the gasket. let it tack up for about 12 minutes. stick it to one of the flanges. put a bead on the exposed side of the gasket, let it tack up. assemble the flanges.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

I got a brush for my drill, cleaned everything, light sanding. Overall everything is smooth.

To add to this I took it out for a drive and guess I only finger tightened the downpipe to mainfold bolts. So those opened a bit and car started making the rumble. I limped it home and found my mistake.

I got it all buttoned up, checked everything, soaped up the gaskets, even the DP to CBE (OEM) donut/gasket, no leaks. BUT now the car is much louder than it was previously. Sounding more like a truck, which seems to be coming from where the turbo/downpipe meet. If a blip the gas it gets a bit of a backfire/burble sound.

I ran RR and pulled a LV. Idle's fine, no misfires. LV shows +4 in A, while B, C, D are 0. My previously leaky LV showed -5 in, while B, C, D were around -1 to -2. So things have shifted a bit.

The +4 would be pre turbo right? vac lines and such?

I was thinking maybe a crack in the flex of the uppipe (OEM), but that doesn't seem right.

With one fix comes two more problems. AMIRIGHT? :)

I guess I should have avoided the Invidia UP. I cannot get the UP to Manifold gasket to seal. I've followed up M Spranks instructions a few times now and no go.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::spin::spin::spin::spin:

Wish I knew there was a guide. I'm assuming this is applicable to those using an OEM header with an aftermarket uppipe. When I swapped the VF52 with the Dom 1.5 I removed and reinstall my Killer B uppipe and I didn't follow a guide at all. Then again the uppipe is v-band as oppose to bolted.

I don't understand why your having such an issue. There must be something wrong with the up pipe. I have installed two and even had the first Invidia up pipe off a few times, never had a issue with a leak.

Good Luck

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW - I've owned two Invidia catless up-pipes - one that I put on my wagon when I got it and sold with the motor out of it, and one that came with the motor in my parts car that I'm currently using.

The first lined up perfectly, and the second is a little bit off in fitment. However, I'm still able to lean into it with a prybar and get the bolts to pass through. Seems like there might be some significantly variability to these things. Neither of mine has leaked after multiple removals/reinstallations with a liberal application of copper spray, though.

Yeah I've done it both ways. Finger tight mani, line up with UP, finger tighten UP, tighten mani then UP fully.

I've also done as you and strong armed it into place and force bolt through.

It sounds good and runs perfect, but if I soap up the flange its leak city. Rest of the gaskets are solid.

Seems the GS uppipe is a bit cheaper than OEM and still had the flex. Might go that route.

Edited by gimpydingo
Typo

Me too. Matt over at Import Image was very helpful. After I pulled the invidia UP I realized how much bigger the opening was in compared to the stock manifold. I could see an outline of a ring where the stock gasket was just slightly offset so yeah of course it leaked between that and the flange not 100% matching up.

I have 100k miles on the car, so if I have to replace the GS flex in 50k miles or so no big loss. Just....want....it....sealed...

Also we are down to 1 car that my wife commutes in. 3.6 is in the body shop and LGT up on jacks. :( wha wha whaaaaaaaaa :mad: