LegacyGT.com

2020 Subaru Legacy reviews are now live!

IcEWoLF

MPG-my thoughts exactly. I bought my wife a 2019 Forester and there are very few things the Forester has that the 2020 Legacy doesn’t. Now, could something happen?? of course. But the other thing that interests me about People is if you read about extended warranties, (and I don’t disagree), folks say don’t buy one, it’s Subaru, if anything happens it will be in the first 3 years. Then, folks say don’t buy a model in it’s first year. Well, it isn’t the first Year for the CVT and a lot of the electronics. Not trying to fight with anyone here, but just providing food for thought. There is a reason we all buy Subarus and Not Chrysler or Mitsubishi.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only reason I bought/keep on buying Subaru's is due to the superior AWD (cars or SUV's), Standard Transmissions (those days are gone :(), excellent crash ratings, interior capacity (SUV's), ground clearance (SUV's), then finally reliability. If reliability is #1 then Toyota would be a better bet :lol:.

I ALWAYS recommend extended warranties for TURBO Subaru's. While Subaru has gotten better overall (no more cats, banjo filters, or crappy IHI turbos), they still seem to have lean in boost tunes which can lead to detonation and burned valves. NA Subaru's are the ones that earned the Subaru the "reliable status", but even then the head gasket issues in 2000's took some of that stock away.

When I bought my 2005 LGT, I didn't know about its reliability track record (good or bad), but the AWD + Turbo 4cyl combo is what sold me on it, in the first 3 years of ownership I bought the car almost twice... Now I did buy mine used under $10k, but Max Capacity bought his brand new and claims he bought it twice too by now. This forum will first hand tell you that GT's (or turbo Subaru's) are far from reliable, heck we even have a You Need a Short Block sub forum...

With that said, I did buy the NA 2012 Outback for the AWD, interior space, ground clearance, AND reliability (metal head gaskets woohoo!). It's also is starting to give me some issues (timing belt, windshield cracks, struts, bushings), but I'm still able to justify those as regular maintenance items, and not having a turbo (which I dearly miss) does make it be less problemsome.

Edited by covertrussian

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Well, one point of correction, I'm into the paying for it the third time now... But damn, its still fun to drive. LOL

Seems there are a lot of cars over the past 10-15 years that have had bearing/hub issues.

I am impressed with the sensors and electronic items on the engine. except for the O2 sensors, the wagon has all the stuff it came with.

I have also said, if Honda made a car like the 4th Gen's they would have put Subaru out of business.

The old 92' Civic Si in my avatar was a great car for all the abuse I gave it, bought that new also. But as it got on in age, 160,000 miles it began to have a few issues with the distributor and its internals.

I will say the new Accord in that blue is a good looking car, one passes going to work most morning.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
My 2005 GT taught me to never buy year 1 of any car...

1. Turbo Dead at 80k miles
  2. Radiator Fan Relay bug burned up the ECU TWICE (luckily recall replaced the ecu for free both times)
  3. Banjo filters which were fully clogged and killed turbo and shorted AVCS valve's lives
  4. Absurd 7k Dino oil change recommendations, which is probably why turbo went (by year 3 they switched it to to 3.7k on synthetic)
  5. Pre-Turbo Cats that get clogged (though it did take Subaru to year 3 to ditch them)
  6. All wheel bearings replaced (Not a year one problem, my 2012 is chewing wheel bearing #2 already)

My 2006 also has had nearl all of those issues, so your not safe at 2 years either. Exception was the banjo bolts. OG turbo and bolts with screens on mine at 276,000 - I have never went more than 4K on oil changes. But when my ECU burned up at 220,000 miles Subaru paid for it, without me even asking.

Don’t regret it one bit but keep eyeing those Kia stingers...wish they had a bit more ground clearance.

Would love another XT but the CVT and DIT gives me serious pause and I wonder what the aftermarket is going to do here...that gives me more pause than a first year Subaru

Edited by laramieskibum

On Monday I picked up my Legacy 2020 Touring XT. Here is a brief overview:

Interior - Stunning - A+

Outside - Not much different than the past, but I knew that. -B minus

Inside Comfort - A

Controls - A

Could be better: the location of the rear view mirror seems to be in the way from some of my views at times

-tires - So, so - and the valve caps are the cheapest I’ve ever seen - don’t even cover the whole stem - I replaced those immediately.

-Nice component - the front camera, though what you see is not what you get...objects are FARTHER than what they appear

-Radio - Awesome

-Noise - none -

-Large center screen = I happen to love it!

That’s about it.

Outside - Not much different than the past, but I knew that. -B minus

So in what way would you change the exterior?

In most cases a boring exterior is good for the longevity of the design, "cool" designs get old as fast as a banana in hot humid weather.

453747.png

I wish I could answer that, but I don’t have that ability to design things...maybe sleeker???

As far as the inside, if someone asked me how it should look I couldn’t have answered that either but what they did looks really good. Maybe because it doesn’t look like a significant exterior change from the last generation it looks average to me. Again, that is just the appearance of the outside. The inside rivals the majority of cars.

Glad to hear someone finally has one. Keep us updated if you could for a while.

Any pictures...or is that for another thread...;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just read a review of my Legacy in consumer reports which is a magazine I have always followed. Though my opinion is it isn’t as good over the last few years as it was years ago (less pages, too much talk, less data) I still value it. I especially look at the repair records of items, etc. For those of you who don’t subscribe, that data comes from the people who read the magazine - we complete surveys at least once a year.

With that said, like anything else, there are opinions based on folks own likes/dislikes. The current article said the 11.6 screen is a head scratcher. Well, I hope they don’t have lice. I love it! It is large enough to see when you glance down as you are driving. It is extremely quick, and it is not difficult to use. Like anything else in life technology related, you have to learn the parts. But it is common sense. The large screen (and the gorgeous tan leather) is one of the reasons I love this car. Now, the most important thing will be to see how many repairs or failings may take place. But as far as the interior and the screen, no head scratching here!

Edited by Famduke

• 1 month later...

Glitch in my 2020 Subaru Legacy Touring. After going to the SOUND settings and setting the bass, mid, and treble to my liking, every few days or so the settings all revert back to “0”.

Yes, I tried everything...no, it doesn’t always happen...no, it doesn’t only happen if I go to FM from Sirius or to a new station. I e-mailed Subaru customer service to see if there are any other complaints or if there is a software update, but doubt it since this car is so new.

Other than that, love the car!!!!!!

Glitch in my 2020 Subaru Legacy Touring. After going to the SOUND settings and setting the bass, mid, and treble to my liking, every few days or so the settings all revert back to “0”.

Yes, I tried everything...no, it doesn’t always happen...no, it doesn’t only happen if I go to FM from Sirius or to a new station. I e-mailed Subaru customer service to see if there are any other complaints or if there is a software update, but doubt it since this car is so new.

Other than that, love the car!!!!!!

Question, does hte new Legacy have driver profiles? On my Ascent, using a different keyfob will change the radio stations.

Facial recognition could yield surprising results if it's not working well - like if you have sunglasses in the day and normal at night.

What if two family members look very similar - like father and son or mother and daughter.

453747.png

Laufu, Yes it does...maybe that is it. I think I’ll try that and see if I can get it to replicate. My thought though, is if that is it, why doesn’t it go back to what I had set when I use my FOB. My wife has not driven my car...she uses her own Forester, but I have used her FOB for my car To move it out of the garage at times.

Thanks

Edited by Famduke

Ordered a '20 Outback Touring XT awhile back with a delivery day set for this Wednesday 11/6. .. It's a grey metallic with the models uprated Nappa brand leather. Add more than a dozen options and you're in business ... a new Subi Outback.

Our '05 Outback XT wagon of 15 years has served us well enough,, but not great. But hey,, the Subi Outback is the Colorado state car; Unpretentious, 4x4 driveline, 260 forced induction ponies and it doesn't break the bank.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Ordered a '20 Outback Touring XT awhile back with a delivery day set for this Wednesday 11/6. .. It's their grey metallic with the Touring models Nappa branded leather. Added a healthy dose of factory options (retail $3.2k) and you're in business ... a new Subi Outback XT.

The outgoing '05 Outback XT w/Bilstein BTS,,, of 15 years had served well enough,,, but not great. But hey,, the Subi Outback is the Colorado state car; Unpretentious, 4x4 driveline, Forced induction, and doesn't break the bank.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Thanks to laufu, the changing sound settings has been solved. When I used our other FOB to move our car, because it was handy, all of the sound settings reverted back to "0" as I had none of them set. (I made sure to set them this time!) so I guess it was the facial recognition Who Am I ! technology. Too bad Subaru didn't figure out how to have the sound settings revert back to what mine were originally when I used my FOB, but at least I know what caused it. Edited by Famduke

Bought 2020 Legacy limited XT, quite an improvement over 2017 sport. I do a lot of driving and like the lane centering. most of the time, but also have turned it off for a while so it acted like my 2017 did.

I like the styling. I think the Toyotas are downright UGLY, the look like giant whale with mouth open coming down the highway, and didn't want a car that my customers would think i was making so much i could afford the new car. Am very pleased, and if you can only pick at it because you can't afford it, grow up and hope time flies by so you can afford it in 5 years. I hate the black wheels and other tacky stuff competitors are doing, would have bought the sport if it had turbo. but not with black wheels. looks like someone couldn't afford real wheels. Guess subaru has to please the kids. a car is a tool, but to some it is their whole life , unfortuantely i've lived long enough to really appreciate the all wheel drive on a vehicle more reasonable than my previous Audis with AWD, Subaru seems much easier to maintain. when it needs maintenance at all. last car ( 2017) had 85,000 mile at trade in. and no problems with it. Dealer said they wouldn't have any trouble selling it. and friend of mine just traded in his 3.6 outback for XT outback and he really like the improvements.

Took delivery of the ordered grey MY20 OB Touring XT last night. .. A huge jump in many areas over the venerable MY05 OB XT. .. The '20 OB XT is having snow tires mounted as we speak - for the 1,500mi run to Colorado. .. The mountains have had some snow accumulation only recently. .. We'll see?

Taking a flier on the highly-rated (CU) Cooper Tires model, Discoverer True North in OE size. .. Say's this lifelong Michelin fan. ..

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike