LegacyGT.com

8psi boost help

sunshinespecb

Kinda new here so bare with me...Have a 2008 legacy gt spec b i just picked up for cheap, has 193k miles. Planning on a closed deck build here within the next year, but going to get the last mileage out of this shortblock while i can. Anyways long story short it seemed a bit underpowered, sure enough its only running 7.5-8lbs of boost. i bought an accessport v3 and ran the stage 1 tune and still same boost (figured it wouldnt do anything). So far ive checked for boost leaks and exhaust leaks, checked the vacuum lines and the pill for correct installation/leaks, all good. today i even took the vacuum line off the wastegate and ran it, peaked a bit higher at 8.8lbs. ive tried ecu reset as well with no difference. I am in the middle of cleaning the EBC, and have one on the way. i also physically moved the wastegate by hand to make sure it wasnt seized. So with the wastegate vacuum line unhooked shouldnt i be overboosting? Am i seeing a weak turbo or something else? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Wow, where are you at that you only have 10.8 psi of atmospheric pressure? That's some thin air.

Based on the things you've said you've tried in your post I would probably start looking at the turbo. Pull the downpipe and see if the wastegate flapper is even there. You should have a lot of boost with the vacuum line disconnected.

Edited by BrandonspecB

Fins scraping housing doesn't necessarily mean the bearings deteriorated enough to contaminate your motor. Are there signs of metal in the oil?

When I went to look at my wagon, the turbo was gone to the point where the impeller was skipping around in the compressor housing and contacting the walls, but it still spun free. Peaked at 10 psi on test drive. I bought the car, and came back with a spare VF40 I had. Drove it on that motor for another 40k miles before a head gasket went and I decided to drop in a fresh replacement.

Just saying, maybe you can find a cheap used VF46 and get some time to prepare for your built motor. Worst case you're out the 100-200 bucks the VF46 will cost.

Edited by awfulwaffle