LegacyGT.com

Diagnosing P0442

I got a P0442 evaporative Emission Control System leak detected (small leak).

From researching these are the things that have come up:

-Gas cap loose

-Bad Gas cap

-Vapor canister Purge valve

-leak in fuel hose / fuel tank

I saw one post refer to waste gate not opening enough.

Any tips on diagnosing? I am taking to mechanic on Thursday but just trying to do what I can at home.

thanks

You need a smoke machine for proper diagnosing. Pull the hose off the purge that runs to the tank, this will be where you hook up the smoke. Pull the vent hose off the canister and plug the canister. Turn on the smoke and check for leaks. Dont forget to pull the access covers off under the seat.

Given the age, it could be a number of things. Let us know what they find before you move forward with repairs unless it's a cheap fix.

They found a leak at a plastic T behind the alternator. I have also had some rough idle issues after start up and clutching in. So not sure which this leak impacts.

In the attached diagram, I believe the purge valve is part 42084G. The black T in question is part H505081. It looked like he identified the leak by spraying soapy water on the area and it bubbled. They replaced the T with a bigger one.

I had replaced the Blue T of death behind the manifold, but really never acknowledged this other T off the Purge valve.

I had reset the ECU and cleared the code on Monday and had 100miles on it when I had brought it in for the inspection.

Screenshot_20200709-235852.thumb.png.820e0dd7d5146c53671f2fa25f811cba.png

626400505_LeakingTafterthePurgevalveEvapP0442.thumb.png.7be0e0ab186d70a9df1443438a914465.png

Edited by ashwinearl

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had replaced the blue T of death with TurkeyLord's metal T a few years ago. The mechanic did this one for me.

The car is driving great now. I can feel improved responsiveness. I don't know much about the EVAP system. Is it typical that fixing a leak here would impact overall driveability?