LegacyGT.com

Anyone ever had issues connecting to a state inspection machine?

I live in MA which probably has some of the the most strict inspection testing outside of California, or so I hear. Yesterday I failed inspection because the shop couldn't get the emissions tool to make a connection via the OBDII port.

Anyone ever had this happen? Car is an 09 lgt and connects fine to a cheap code reader, access port, and my buddies fancy Snapon scanner tool. Seems to me like it must be an issue on their end.

They also failed me for not seeing a cat in the stock location. My Perrin DP has it further up the pipe, but that's another problem....

I can't help you with the communications issue specifically, but I agree thatIf you have other tools that will connect to it then they shouldn't have a problem. I don't have to worry about this because I have an 05 so I am emissions exempt which means no plugin 15 years or older.

I'm in MA. Inspections really aren't that rigorous at all, they just plug you in to make sure that your monitors are ready but you're allowed to have up to two monitors not ready IIRC. Those are easy to see via a scan tool.

Obviously if you have a fairly loud exhaust or you're totally slammed or have illegal front tint then you're asking for a fail, But I didn't have much of a problem getting my 05 OBXT passed with Tein coilovers and deleted resonator and mufflers. When you pull up to the shop, pull the inspector to the side and ask him if he's going to fail you or not they're usually straightforward and will save you the headache if the answer is yes.

On your downpipe though, if you can find a CARB number for it it might help to bring it with you but just having a cat should be good enough to pass. Sounds like you just need to go to a different shop man

-Justin

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can't help you with the communications issue specifically, but I agree thatIf you have other tools that will connect to it then they shouldn't have a problem. I don't have to worry about this because I have an 05 so I am emissions exempt which means no plugin 15 years or older.

I'm in MA. Inspections really aren't that rigorous at all, they just plug you in to make sure that your monitors are ready but you're allowed to have up to two monitors not ready IIRC. Those are easy to see via a scan tool.

Obviously if you have a fairly loud exhaust or you're totally slammed or have illegal front tint then you're asking for a fail, But I didn't have much of a problem getting my 05 OBXT passed with Tein coilovers and deleted resonator and mufflers. When you pull up to the shop, pull the inspector to the side and ask him if he's going to fail you or not they're usually straightforward and will save you the headache if the answer is yes.

On your downpipe though, if you can find a CARB number for it it might help to bring it with you but just having a cat should be good enough to pass. Sounds like you just need to go to a different shop man

-Justin

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah I have Fortune coilovers with about a finger gap and never have had an issue. Full exhaust too but they've never said anything. The thing about the downpipe is that it has the bulge where the cat was. The previous owner deleted it somehow. but visually if you were to look from the engine bay you would see a cat from the outside. So really the guy is correct that I have no cat, but it looks like I do. I have an old Cobb DP with a cat that I'll throw on to make sure I can pass.

And before anyone says anything, I would much rather not be catless. I'm sick of the stench and the pollution. unfortunately my car loses so much oil into the exhaust that I'd probably destroy a cat long-term. I thought I'd be rebuilding the engine by now so I would stop burning oil but 4 years later and she still runs strong...